FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What are the best Brake line hoses available etc ?

Question What are the best Brake line hoses available etc ?

What are the best Brake lines hoses available on the market and whats the best place to get them ?
    Do i go with the SS braided lines or the rubber lines ?
    Thanks in advance.....

Club(s):   (PNDC)

I got stainless steel braided break lines from DMC NW and they are great. You can even get different hose colors. I just went for black (it is a rubber hose over the SS lines).
    Toby at DMC NW always looks for good quality of lines. He had to change vendors recently but he said that he is very happy about the current one.
    - Volker Seidel -

The way I see it, if you're gonna drive around in a car, why not do it with some style?

Are the ss and rubber hoses from Delorean Auto Parts Inc. good quality ? I live down here in Texas....

My VIN:    03572

I got the Special T hoses 8 years ago and they were top quality then. Even had DOT approved marked on them.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

President, DeLorean Industries

My VIN:    5646,5080, 5880, 10234, 3639, 2518, 10586, 1538

Here are our DOT certified lines:

http://www.deloreanindustries.com/9-...kit-stainless/
    www.deloreanindustries.com Every Detail Matters

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Quote Originally Posted by DPI JOSH View Post
    I don't think there is any big difference which vendor you buy the hoses from. They will all be of good quality. What it will come down to is price, availability, and customer service. Order form your favorite vendor. As long as you are ordering check if you need anything else like filters, bulbs, struts, etc. If you like a firm pedal go for the braided S/S.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    03572

Quote Originally Posted by DPI JOSH View Post
    I seem to remember paying more than that kit eight years ago from John. Back then I think he was the only vendor selling the SS kit. I never got around to installing the rear lines. I'll have to add that to my to do list. I think my rubber lines were new from the PO anyway.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    I don't think there is any big difference which vendor you buy the hoses from. They will all be of good quality. What it will come down to is price, availability, and customer service.
    I tend to agree. Also check whether the kit comes with fasteners, or whether you'll have to get them separately.

One piece of feedback for the vendors. It would be great if the hex fitting on the SS hoses was the same size as the OEM versions that fit snugly in the frame holders. I had 2 SS sets from different vendors, and for both sets, to tighten the hose on the frame, I had to jam a slot screwdriver between the hex fitting and the frame holder to tighten the nut. Not very good when you're trying not to damage the epoxy coating. (I wrapped the screwdriver end in tape to mitigate this). This maneuver is also difficult on the rear hoses.

Maybe somebody else has a better way to to this on the SS hoses.

Other than that, the SS hoses look great when installed.
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

My VIN:    5003 Never placed Concourse

Club(s):   (DCF)

I'm sorry, but I would have preferred a smaller hex:

I got mine from Special T also many, many years ago when they were first available and had no trouble with them. In the end, while the stainless braid part looked OK under the now yellowed plastic line, the fittings became fused to the frame from driving on the New York roads in winter. I had to either cut or leave them in the old frame in order to remove components, so they ended up trashed. I wish I had covered them in some anti seize or something now but they're still difficult to remove - even the original ones on the new frame I had to press or hammer them out where I could. I'm now running the original rubber lines until I feel like changing over again - after a frame swap, engine conversion, suspension overhaul, interior overhaul and windshield install- it's just not that high on my to-do list at the moment .
    Last edited by dn010; 11-11-2015 at 08:56 AM.
    -----Dan B.

My VIN:    3294

Like Dave, I ordered mine from John @ SpecialTAuto earlier this past spring. I went with the braided lines as well. Also like Dave, I replaced the front flexible lines, but never did the rear.

In the process of installing the front lines, I snapped one of the threaded fitting off, and John replaced it at no charge.
    Barry Floyd
    Lebanon, Tennessee
    VIN 3294 - Aug. 81

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast