FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Running without the engine cover.

One of those purists you keep hearing about. sdg3205's Avatar

My VIN:    thirty two 'o five

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Running without the engine cover.

Does anyone run their DeLorean without the (lower) engine cover?

It has crossed my mind a few times and I have seen a few race-inspired DMC's without it. Personally I think the nicely detailed PRV looks pretty rad and i wouldn't mind making it a bit more visible. Granted you'd have to squirt a little silicone sealant in the 4 bolt holes for the engine cover brackets while it was off.

I could create a working latch to work with the louver as well... even make it pop up or release in place of the engine cover. I expect it would help keep the engine cool, wouldn't effect drag coefficient, might be a bit louder (but not much).

What say you?
    Dave

Here, somewhere.

My VIN:    03572

I would think it would run cooler and probably reduce hot start problems. Not sure if I would like seeing the engine like that with the louvers closed. Probably save a few pounds off the rear end.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

I don't see a problem. Several things would need tidying though, it does have the look of being thrown together! lol
    Like to see some pics of blinged engines for inspiration.

My VIN:    3937

Water is the main one for me that comes to mind. Not that the lower cover is water proof, but I expect it keeps the bulk of the water off the top of the engine. You could do a test if you wanted and take a small cup or two of water and pour it down onto the louvres and watch where it goes with the lower cover in place. I think the grilles are where they are on the lower cover because that centre area that has none was more crucial for keeping water off.

Move or unplug the light switch when you do the hinge bolt holes.

How snug in place is your bulkhead connector cover? Hard to say what the air flow would do, if anything different, but that's about the only thing that came to mind that might move if grabbed by the wind in just the right way.

The vacuum routing decal is on the underside of the lower cover. Not that you likely consult it daily, but you could keep a copy of it in the glovebox if you wanted to (or on your phone).

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

My VIN:    2743

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCH) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

I would think you would have more of an issue with water down the plug holes, particularly if the car has been parked. Or in your case, snow down the plug holes.

Plus the reduction in weight over the driven axles would obviously result in more wheelspin as the powerful engine tries to put down all its torque
    Dermot
    VIN 2743, B/A, Frame 2227, engine 2320

I don't always drive cars, but when I do, I prefer DeLoreans

http://www.will-to-live.org

No-one is to stone anyone, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say "carburetor"

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Your VIN'S mom

Yeah those engine covers really do a lot to keep the rear end planted. I would be afraid to run without as the car tends to kick sideways during full throttle spurts.

On the other hand, I wonder what it would look like at night with this under the louvers:
    attachment-2.jpg
    http://dmctalk.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=90&dateline=161808992  9

"Former Delorean owning Guru" Spittybug's Avatar

My VIN:    Formerly 2329

Or just do this. I've since removed it and put the full length louvers back on, but this remains an option when I feel like a change.... The two rear panels don't have their grillwork in these pictures, but I kept them. Only the three big panels are plexi. No heat damage, but drilling through it for mounting wasn't the best idea; small spiderweb cracks. I found a guy that would custom make tempered glass inserts for a really good price but I never pursued it.
    Attached Images
    Owen
    I.Brew.Beer.

My VIN:    6585

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    I would think it would run cooler and probably reduce hot start problems. Not sure if I would like seeing the engine like that with the louvers closed. Probably save a few pounds off the rear end.
    I don't believe that it would have any impact on cooling properties for the engine whatsoever. The engine is water-cooled, so airflow around it is a complete non-issue. Not only is it common place for many buildings to keep their generators located indoors with externally mounted radiators, but the hoods/bonnets on front-engine cars are purposefully sealed with gaskets to stop airflow up and across the engine to vent out of the top. It's a safety measure to prevent steam from blocking driver viability when driving through water, but it does still restrict airflow.

Now catalytic converters are indeed a different story, and they happen to be packed in with the engine inside of the compartment. But omitting those, and the fact that it's just cheaper to keep the engine bay open with the radiator in front to let the hot air scavange out of the bottom, you could actually seal up the engine compartment from the outside on both the bottom and the top to keep it pristinely clean, and you wouldn't have any temperature problems. Heat would still be expelled through coolant and exhaust gasses.

"Hot Start" issues are 99% of the time caused by a faulty fuel system that somewhere along the way isn't maintaining rest pressure. That remaining 1% is actually temperature rated, but it's a very, VERY rare occurrence. That would really only be if you lived in the Mojave or Sonoran Deserts in North America, The Saharan in Africa, or the low lying deserts of the middle east. Hence why the Workshop Manual states that the only time a "Hot Start Relay" would be necessary in hot climates. In those cases it would be where you park the car, and the overnight temperatures drop into the low 50's or colder (in Fahrenheit). Over several hours this also cools and chills the internal combustion chambers to where they condensate the gasoline vapor. Then after cooling all night and chilling the engine's core down, the sun rises and thanks to it's intense direct light, it rapidly heats up the desert. The Thermotime Switch *is* subject to coolant submersion, yes, but it could still rapidly heat into the 60's just from the sunlight shining directly on it, and the surrounding thermostat and waterpump. That would result in a cold engine, with a warm Thermotime Switch, and the engine would in that case then NOT catch because the Cold Start Injector isn't firing. So exposing that upper engine area to more heat in the morning could actually make it worse. The more it's covered, the more insulation to keep the Thermotime Switch cold for better cold starting.
    Robert

People they come together, people they fall apart...

Still Plays With Toys awildermode's Avatar

Glass panel would be interesting...like a Ferrari.

One of those purists you keep hearing about. sdg3205's Avatar

My VIN:    thirty two 'o five

Club(s):   (PNDC)

I'm not all that concerned about water. Given my average annual mileage is about 1,500 miles and I don't take it out in the rain, about the only water is have to be cautious of is wash water.

I'm going to give this a shot for a week and see what it's like. Gives me something to do.

I just have to figure out how I'll keep those rear wheel from spinning every time I feather the gas.
    Dave

Here, somewhere.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast