FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Running without the engine cover.

Ha, You'll have to drive it like one of those VW emission testers..... Take 40 seconds to get to 60mph!

One of those purists you keep hearing about. sdg3205's Avatar

My VIN:    thirty two 'o five

Club(s):   (PNDC)

I did it.
    Dave

Here, somewhere.

My VIN:    01643

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

I ran without the engine cover for about a month when I first completed my swap. I was still working out how I'd prop it up at the time and other items were more important. Obviously there's some difference since it wasn't a PRV exposed but still, it's probably not that different. I had no issues and ran in the rain several times.
    Last edited by Nicholas R; 11-12-2015 at 12:13 AM.

My VIN:    07000

Good thread and info. My car came without the engine cover, due to there being no room whatsoever with the air cleaner there, which comes within a quarter inch of the louvres. So I've been wary of driving in or getting caught in the rain- though it doesn't rain much here in sunny San Diego, but we've been getting some now from Mexican hurricanes and El NiƱo is starting to kick in.
    I have been giving some thought though to getting a spare louvre set, removing the louvres and keeping the frame, and installing aircraft lexan like on the Audi R8. It's heat resistant, doesn't scratch, and is a heck of a lot lighter that glass. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1447349914.618660.jpg

My VIN:    5462

Club(s):   (DCH)

One thing to watch out for is if you park your car and it rains the water sits on the louvre.

This is fine if your driving off forwards, but if you're reversing out of a parking spot the water rolls straight onto the engine, that's when the lower cover saves that water dumping on your spark plugs etc...

J

I saw Dave's car yesterday on my last drive with 3922 through the valley (yes, my car will soon find a new owner). I have to say that it caught my eye and it looks great!

I have to say that Dave and I (because Dave also helped restoring mine) spent quite some work in the engine compartment bead blasting, repainting and buffing things up. I totally agree that it looks awesome.
    I would probably make sure that no water gets into the ignition parts and try it out.

I did not take any pictures of it yesterday but it looked great looking through the side window into the engine compartment.
    - Volker Seidel -

The way I see it, if you're gonna drive around in a car, why not do it with some style?

One of those purists you keep hearing about. sdg3205's Avatar

My VIN:    thirty two 'o five

Some LEDs like Michaels would be pretty nice.

I removed the plunger switch and installed a manual switch.
    Dave

Here, somewhere.

I would think those with the stock PRV would not/should not run without the engine cover, for fear rain/moisture/carwash overspray would collect in the VOD, as VOD corrosion is a major problem. My car is garaged, and I don't intentionally drive in the rain. But in 10 years of ownership, I have been caught twice now in significant rain, and I was glad the engine was covered. JMHO.

Thomas

Keeper of the DeLorean Owners Directory, at www.DeloreanOwnersDirectory.net

Get the world's only DeLorean Mobile App Here

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Your VIN'S mom

Rainwater doesn't cause corrosion in an aluminium engine...old coolant does.
    http://dmctalk.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=90&dateline=161808992  9

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Rainwater doesn't cause corrosion in an aluminium engine...old coolant does.
    A very good point, thanks.

I should have said it a bit differently. I personally wouldn't want any moisture down in the valley, and want as little moister as possible anywhere in the engine bay, as I would worry it could speed corrosion in general. I hate the thought of my alternator getting wet from rain. Cooling has never been a problem for my car, as it rarely gets beyond the first mark on the temp gauge, even on the hottest Texas days (yes, I know the gauge could be inaccurate, but the car has never overheated [under my watch]).

Thomas

Keeper of the DeLorean Owners Directory, at www.DeloreanOwnersDirectory.net

Get the world's only DeLorean Mobile App Here

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast