FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Running without the engine cover.

My VIN:    6585

Well, the old coolant is on the inside of the engine. Externally in the VOD, the problem is when you have dead leaves and other dead vegetation that collects. When it rots, it will lower it's pH and start to corrode the aluminum. That's the problem. It also gets made even worse if you're leaking coolant from the Y-Pipe/water pump when the coolant collects there.

As for the alternator, don't sweat it. I've driven through flood water where I've submerged the entire thing. The warning light will come on, but I just gun the engine until thing just flings out all the water and it's good to go again. Even been through an industrial waste spill and even raw sewage with no problem.
    Robert

People they come together, people they fall apart...

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Rainwater doesn't cause corrosion in an aluminium engine...old coolant does.
    Mix rainwater with a bunch of leaves, acorns, mouse droppings etc. and it gets corrosive.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Your VIN'S mom

I wasn't aware the cover protected that much. Odd that I have had mine for 7 years and have yet to see so much as a leaf make it past the louvers.

I guess if you just let one sit in the forest month after month year after year things and critters will work their way into the VOD and cause corrosion problems. I wasn't exactly saying the car is bullet proof with the cover missing or not.
    http://dmctalk.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=90&dateline=161808992  9

One of those purists you keep hearing about. sdg3205's Avatar

My VIN:    thirty two 'o five

Club(s):   (PNDC)

I put the engine cover back on today. I couldn't find a safe place to store it.

I also have a gig coming up with Labatt and I want the car in showroom condition.
    Dave

Here, somewhere.

One of those purists you keep hearing about. sdg3205's Avatar

My VIN:    thirty two 'o five

Has anyone come across or developed a way of locking or latching the louvres down without the lower engine cover in place?
    Dave

Here, somewhere.

My VIN:    4877

Quote Originally Posted by sdg3205 View Post
    Has anyone come across or developed a way of locking or latching the louvres down without the lower engine cover in place?
    You could make a thing that fits the lower cover latch that has a loop for the louvre...Maybe find a use lower cover thats all busted up and cut out that area then snap it into the lower cover latch...and when you wanna remove it, just pop it out like you would a cover.

Or.....bungee the louvres to the bottom of the rear fascia....or......duct tape a couple big rocks to the rear of the louvre
    Rob Depew
    Tacoma, Wa
    '81 DeLorean 4877 Grey, Auto, 4 wheels
    The Ressurection of 4877......
    Website
    YouTube
    My Patreon

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3