FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Pontoon O-ring seal NLA - alternatives?

My VIN:    16793

Club(s):   (DMA) (LINY-DMC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by kajcienski View Post
    I'm trying to push Rob to improve on a product I have used that he will hopefully be offering at some point that gives it a super finished look.
    It is basically a gasket somewhat similar to the previous post, but I believe he has some improvement ideas - which he is a master at doing.
    I am attaching a picture.
    Attachment 51346
    Just a side note - what I like about this particular shape and size of ring is that it totally covers the area where the original gasket went. No matter what I did to try and clean the pontoon and tube, I could not restore it to my satisfaction. So this covers it and to my eye, looks like it might as well have come from the factory (though I know the originals looked a bit different).

The install, to answer the question in previous post, is very easy.
    You DO NOT have to take anything apart.
    Just clean the area, carefully slice the gasket with a blade so it can be expanded and put around the tube, then use adhesive to glue to the pontoon portion so it contours right to the pontoon shape. The cut side of the gasket should face into the corner where you would never see it.
    There is room for improvement in terms of texture and exact shape, but again, hoping that Rob can improve on this so the community finally has a super strong replacement for this. I have always thought this is one of the worst looking parts of the engine area once the originals deteriorate.
    DeLorean VIN 16793 - 1983
    Loving my power steering!

My friends think I'm nuts jawn101's Avatar

My VIN:    02100

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

I also used the 3/4" square foam weather stripping with the adhesive backing. You've gotta take the quarter panel off to install it.
    Jon
    1981 DMC-12 #02100. July 1981. 5-speed, black, grooved w/flap.
    restoration log, March 2011 to present
    full and detailed photo restoration log

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Quote Originally Posted by jawn101 View Post
    I also used the 3/4" square foam weather stripping with the adhesive backing. You've gotta take the quarter panel off to install it.
    I disagree. I managed to do it without having to take anything apart. Removing and replacing that panel is a LOT of work just for that foam seal, unless you have other reasons to remove it. And there are TWO of them!
    David Teitelbaum

My friends think I'm nuts jawn101's Avatar

My VIN:    02100

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    I disagree. I managed to do it without having to take anything apart. Removing and replacing that panel is a LOT of work just for that foam seal, unless you have other reasons to remove it. And there are TWO of them!
    You may be right. I think with the OEM rings you had to do it this way because they were unbroken circles. I already had my quarter panel off for other reasons and it was the perfect time to do this work. But you can probably get yourself under there if you try. There are certainly way more uncomfortable contortionist acts required for other jobs.
    Jon
    1981 DMC-12 #02100. July 1981. 5-speed, black, grooved w/flap.
    restoration log, March 2011 to present
    full and detailed photo restoration log

Quote Originally Posted by DMC-81 View Post
    Just an update to this thread. I had to change the gasket on the pontoon air intake vents to a thinner version as the thicker one interfered with proper quarter panel to rear fascia alignment. I also oriented the new gasket with the beveled side down this time. Trial and error...

Gasket from Home Depot..

Attachment 38676

Installed- Inside view...
    Attachment 38677

Outside view..
    Attachment 38678

I am happy with this one.

Here is the rear fascia all installed ( except the lights etc.)...

Attachment 38679

Quote Originally Posted by kajcienski View Post
    I'm trying to push Rob to improve on a product I have used that he will hopefully be offering at some point that gives it a super finished look.
    It is basically a gasket somewhat similar to the previous post, but I believe he has some improvement ideas - which he is a master at doing.
    I am attaching a picture.
    Attachment 51346
    I tried to install the #106693 seals sold by deloreango; I thought they had to be installed like in kajcienski picture, around the air intake, but I found that the inner diameter of the seal is about 58mm and the outside diameter of the air intake is about 75mm (at least the driver side intake), so it seems that they are intended to be installed like in DMC-81 pics.
    I find that the "seal pressed between air intake and pontoon" method looks like a little bit odd, I guess I could try to cut the seal and spread it around the intake, what's the general consensus on this installation? Thanks
    Let us reply to ambition that it is she herself that gives us a taste for solitude.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

If you are going to cut the seal you might just as well have bought some 3/4 square weatherstripping locally. Hide the cut around the backside and no one will see it. Have the seal sit on the pontoon and surround the air intake so you don't see the cut portion of the pontoon. Don't try "stuffing" it into the cut hole. It will look uneven because the gap between the fiberglass and the duct is not even all around. The purpose of the seal is just cosmetic, so you don't see the cut portion of the pontoon, it gives a "finished" look.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    06668 81' Grey interior, 5 speed, Grooved hood. Previous owner of 16301, in 2001. Found Nov 2019, a

Quote Originally Posted by DMC-81 View Post
    Hi there,

It looks like the pontoon foam O-Ring seal (106693) is no longer available. Mine are fairly crusty. What have you all used as a close looking alternative?

Thanks!
    DeLorean Go Sells a new rubber version. same part number.

My VIN:    6125

Oh man, can we please get the toilet tank to bowl gasket PN added to the official crossover parts list? This is too funny.

I mean DeLoreans get a lot of crap as it is (OH YES, PUNS!) and now we're using toilet parts to fix the air intake. It's a pretty great fix, don't get me wrong, but I'm just imagining what the rest of the automotive community must think of us.
    Last edited by Mark D; 02-21-2019 at 09:23 AM.

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    Oh man, can we please get the toilet tank to bowl gasket PN added to the official crossover parts list? This is too funny.

I mean DeLoreans get a lot of crap as it is (OH YES, PUNS!) and now we're using toilet parts to fix the air intake. It's a pretty great fix, don't get me wrong, but I'm just imagining what the rest of the automotive community must think of us.
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

APRIL 81

My VIN:    0952

Fantastic thread! Great way to wrap up a slow day at work. This is just the info I was looking for.
    '86 BMW 325es
    '96 BMW M3
    '12 Jeep Grand Cherokee
    '81 DeLorean
    '21 Volvo XC40

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast