FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Pontoon O-ring seal NLA - alternatives?

My VIN:    16506

Club(s):   (DCO) (DCUK)

Copying my original post from "What have you done to your DeLorean today?" to here so easier to find for others in the future.

----

I replaced the disintegrated sponge rings by the rear air intake/vents.

For less than $8.00 I picked up 2 yellow Mini Sink Plungers from HomeDepot (also available at Lowes). Removed the rubber rings. Cut & placed around the intake tubes. Seam placed in back corner and is not visible. I thought of adding some black RTV to secure in place but haven't yet as they don't move and stay in place just fine.

All credit to Chris Toller for this find.

MiniSinkPlungerRing-1.jpg MiniSinkPlungerRing-2.jpg MiniSinkPlungerRing-3.jpg
    Shannon Y
    www.ohiodeloreans.com
    www.facebook.com/ohiodeloreans
    ---
    1st angle drive - 58,027 miles (20 years) -- original
    2nd angle drive - 48,489 miles (21 years) -- original from donor
    3rd angle drive - 26,572 miles (2 years 3 months) -- DMCH
    4th angle drive - 21,988 miles (1 year 11 months) -- DMCH
    5th angle drive - 7,137 miles (10 months 2 days) -- DMCH
    6th angle drive - OVER 113,704 miles and counting (OVER 13 yr 1 month & counting) -- new Martin Gutkowski unit
    over 245K miles

My friends think I'm nuts jawn101's Avatar

My VIN:    02100

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Well I’ll be damned. That’s not half bad!! Cool find, to you and Chris both.

Quote Originally Posted by ssdelorean View Post
    Copying my original post from "What have you done to your DeLorean today?" to here so easier to find for others in the future.

----

I replaced the disintegrated sponge rings by the rear air intake/vents.

For less than $8.00 I picked up 2 yellow Mini Sink Plungers from HomeDepot (also available at Lowes). Removed the rubber rings. Cut & placed around the intake tubes. Seam placed in back corner and is not visible. I thought of adding some black RTV to secure in place but haven't yet as they don't move and stay in place just fine.

All credit to Chris Toller for this find.

MiniSinkPlungerRing-1.jpg MiniSinkPlungerRing-2.jpg MiniSinkPlungerRing-3.jpg
    Jon
    1981 DMC-12 #02100. July 1981. 5-speed, black, grooved w/flap.
    restoration log, March 2011 to present
    full and detailed photo restoration log

Stopped in Home Depot today and while I haven’t done a test fit yet, I will say these things are cheap, plentiful, and the rings look perfect. Nice quality soft rubber, too. Hopefully they hold up?
    Jon

My VIN:    3937

Quote Originally Posted by jawn101 View Post
    Stopped in Home Depot today and while I haven’t done a test fit yet, I will say these things are cheap, plentiful, and the rings look perfect. Nice quality soft rubber, too. Hopefully they hold up?
    I just put these in my car too, Jon. Home Depot, $7.20 CAD each (yea, like everything else, it's twice as much as in the US....) and can now say, after 15 years of owning this car, that I have finally found something, a job or little project on the car that was.... wait for it..... EASY. And as advertised, and simple, and quick. I slipped these off the plunger, used a sharp knife to cut a slit in them, slid them around the duct and done. That was it. Nice find whoever stumbled on this one. Much appreciated.

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    I just put these in my car too, Jon. Home Depot, $7.20 CAD each (yea, like everything else, it's twice as much as in the US....) and can now say, after 15 years of owning this car, that I have finally found something, a job or little project on the car that was.... wait for it..... EASY. And as advertised, and simple, and quick. I slipped these off the plunger, used a sharp knife to cut a slit in them, slid them around the duct and done. That was it. Nice find whoever stumbled on this one. Much appreciated.
    Amazing, I love when things are actually easy! Will do it this evening or tomorrow.
    Jon

My VIN:    3462

Club(s):   (DOI)

Just grabbed a couple of these. Thanks for the tip guys! Finally getting rid of the crumbling foam!

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by John U View Post
    Just grabbed a couple of these. Thanks for the tip guys! Finally getting rid of the crumbling foam!
    I just bought 2 and will install this weekend. OT: Billet lower control arms showed up last night!
    ~LXA~
    Dunmurry | Stuttgart | Leipzig | Munich | Tochigi | Fremont | Bratislava | Sindelfingen | Kansas City | Oakville | Coventry

My VIN:    3937

Quote Originally Posted by John U View Post
    Hey... look at you go!!

Been a while John. Hope things are well with you and the car. They've been doing a cruise night in Elmira at the Canadian Tire every Thursday night if you feel like coming out. Myself and Richard have been a few times. Decent crowd and easy drive on the 80 zone roads getting there or back.

IMG_7710.jpgIMG_7919.jpg

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

My VIN:    3462

Club(s):   (DOI)

Hi Jonathan
    Haven't been on here in a long time. Car hasn't been getting much use. Just had it at a cruise night tonight.
    Might have to do the Elmira cruise next week if I am around!

My VIN:    16113

Club(s):   (SCDC) (DCUK)

I did this. Looks good. Driver's side had the foam ring. I pulled out what I could. Passenger side, though, had a metal ring. It was not split so I think it was installed with the car. Does anyone else have the same thing?20220903_104541.jpg20220903_104535.jpg
    Shannon

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast