FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Pontoon O-ring seal NLA - alternatives?

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by sdg3205 View Post
    Is there any reason you want these? They don't do a whole heck of a lot
    Well, as Dennis mentioned, they're supposed to be functional. Plus, if I don't replace them, every time I open the engine louvre, it would bother the heck out of me.

Quote Originally Posted by DMC5180 View Post
    Dana, what is the measured diameter of the hole?

Dennis
    I'll get the exact measurements of the diameter, height, and width of these rings and report back. I can't believe that they haven't been reproduced....probably too far down on the list. I think the diameter is 2 3/4 inches but I need to verify.

Thanks all for the suggestions. I'm going to get the dimensions and do some research.

Also, for the breather holes, I'm thinking of a circular louvre fitting that would exhaust the air but would not let water in that was traveling downward, or perhaps a one way valve similar to the one that is in breathing equipment. More research....
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Pontoon O-ring seal NLA - alternatives?

I'm fairly sure those foam rings are made from PVC foam. That stuff just turns to dust over time. If it were me, I'd use neoprene rubber foam or polyurethane foam and cut new rings. Then install with black RTV or weather strip adhesive.
    Same goes for the rear upper pontoon vents.

Dennis
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Quote Originally Posted by DMC5180 View Post
    I'm fairly sure those foam rings are made from PVC foam. That stuff just turns to dust over time. If it were me, I'd use neoprene rubber foam or polyurethane foam and cut new rings. Then install with black RTV or weather strip adhesive.
    Same goes for the rear upper pontoon vents.

Dennis
    The dimensions are about 3/4 " square. It appears to be a plastic covering filled with foam. The foam inside turns into dust. You can buy a roll of black insulation 3/4 X 3/4 and cut it to the proper length and glue the ends together. You can hide the joint where it can't be seen. It is mainly for aesthetic reasons to hide the joint between the trim and the pontoon.
    David Teitelbaum

I had the panel off today, and the O-rings are 1/2" wide, 1/2" thick, and the upper intake round holes are 2 3/4" (inside diameter). The lower vent holes are slightly smaller at 2 3/8" (inside diameter).

I was thinking of cutting a foam ring like Dennis mentioned and spraying/dipping it in plasti-dip.

What you you think?
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Quote Originally Posted by DMC-81 View Post
    I had the panel off today, and the O-rings are 1/2" wide, 1/2" thick, and the upper intake round holes are 2 3/4" (inside diameter). The lower vent holes are slightly smaller at 2 3/8" (inside diameter).

I was thinking of cutting a foam ring like Dennis mentioned and spraying/dipping it in plasti-dip.

What you you think?
    The Plasti-Dip may be too thick. Maybe a thick coat of paint. Like a very thinned out undercoating.
    David Teitelbaum

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Try Matt K's idea of a standard toilet tank spud gasket. You will be surprised how well that works.

Sent from phone
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

Quote Originally Posted by DMCMW Dave View Post
    Try Matt K's idea of a standard toilet tank spud gasket. You will be surprised how well that works.

Sent from phone
    Thanks Dave. Like this?....
    image.jpg
    Dana

My VIN:    11408

Club(s):   (DMWC) (TXDMC) (DCUK) (DOI)

off a chevy sprint. Snaps right in, free at your local wrecker.

It has more significance to my car that when originally installed... haha

Supercharged 5.3L LS4 + Porsche 6spd
    [email protected]
    lsdelorean.com
    I am not affiliated with Delorean Midwest in anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    off a chevy sprint. Snaps right in, free at your local wrecker.

It has more significance to my car that when originally installed... haha
    Cool! I called a couple wrecker yards, and they didn't have any.

However I found the gasket that Dave mentioned. I trial fitted it on both holes and it looks like it will do the job! You can't even tell the difference from the original gasket on the upper hole. I'll post pictures when I permanently install the quarter panels.

image.jpg
    Dana

So, I got the leak-prone cabin vent gasket replaced today with my own concoction that will let air out, but no water in. I used the tank to bowl rubber gasket that was recommended by Dave Swingle ( thanks Dave /Matt K!)...
    image.jpg

Old gasket removed and cleaned with Goo Gone and a razor blade. I trimmed the rectangular gasket above it, as it interfered with the top of the new gasket...
    image.jpg

Ace gasket #40198 glued, beveled side in, with Ultra Black RTV sealant. After it set up, I rimmed the gasket again with more....
    image.jpg

Finally, I cut a piece of 6 mil plastic and glued it 3/4 of the way around the face of the gasket with RTV to achieve the goal of a functioning yet water resistant vent.....
    image.jpg

Now on to the induction gasket.
    Last edited by DMC-81; 11-25-2015 at 09:23 PM.
    Dana

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast