FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Cold Start or hot start problem?

Cold Start or hot start problem?

When the car is cold it fire's up perfectly, then you drive it around and turn it off, to fill for gas or go in the store really quick, then you try to fire it up, but it acts like the engine is flooded. So, you put your foot all the way down on the gas pedal and start the car and it fires up perfectly. Is this a cold start or hot start problem? I am told by a mechanic that has the manuals that this is the Cold start issue and needs a Cold start valve 102372. Can anyone confirm this? The part costs $179 from, Delorean.com

Thanks for your help. As soon as this car is repaired I am driving to pick it up and take her home!!!!! pics will follow!

My VIN:    6472

If the car starts up fine when cold, there's no cold start problem so don't worry about the CSV.

My VIN:    03572

I guess you don't touch the gas normally when starting the engine. Does your car idle at 775 RPM all the time? If it starts by giving it some gas pedal then it most likely is a miss adjustment or your idle system is not performing as it should. Pressing the gas pedal also enables vacuum advance but that would not advance the timing much until the engine has started.

The idle motor opens a specific amount depending on the engine temp. Normally you never have to touch the gas when starting the engine.

A hot start issue would not start quickly via pressing the gas pedal.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    I guess you don't touch the gas normally when starting the engine. Does your car idle at 775 RPM all the time? If it starts by giving it some gas pedal then it most likely is a miss adjustment or your idle system is not performing as it should. Pressing the gas pedal also enables vacuum advance but that would not advance the timing much until the engine has started.

The idle motor opens a specific amount depending on the engine temp. Normally you never have to touch the gas when starting the engine.

A hot start issue would not start quickly via pressing the gas pedal.
    Next time you have trouble restarting when hot do the plug swap to confirm a hard hot restart. Then trouble-shoot the loss of rest pressure. Usually an old, bad, fuel accumulator.
    David Teitelbaum