FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Top Door Seals

My VIN:    2412

Club(s):   (DMA)

Top Door Seals

I just replaced my top door seals because they were dry and mostly cracked in half. The drivers side is perfect. But when the door is closed the seal on the passenger side is flush with the T Panel rather than below. When I open the door it gets hung up on the T Panel a little and the center of the seal buckles back rather than following the door. It appears the T Panel may be shifted ever so slightly to the left. Though it looks even where it connects with the side panels so I don't know. Any suggestions? Thanks!

image.jpg

Location:  Burnsville MN-Moving to Kalispell MT. in June 20111

My VIN:    2691

top seals

My car hasn't had top seals for 27 years. Ignore it.....

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Quote Originally Posted by SS Spoiler View Post
    My car hasn't had top seals for 27 years. Ignore it.....
    The Tee panel can be centered so the gap is equal. Loosen all of the fasteners and move it over. The outer top seals help to keep rainwater out of the channel. Too much and it can't get out fast enough and may come in over the top of the channel and get inside. Also the foam pad that keeps the front of the Tee panel up goes bad and drops the panel. Remove the Tee panel and replace the foam under the front of it. While it is off, remove the cover that is duct-taped to the fiberglass and inspect the interior box section of the roof.
    David Teitelbaum

Is there an illustrated guide to doing this?

My VIN:    03572

I had the problem of the drivers side top seal would get folded over. I just pulled that seal out and run without it any seal now. I do like seeing the solid black of the seal hiding the gap but the buckle of the seal would lift the T panel and it looked like crap with the door closed.

You really can't adjust my T panel because right at the back as the doors close it just touches on both sides. Maybe my doors are mounted in to far but moving them out would widen the gap even more.

I was thinking of maybe the seal could be designed to be part of the T panel rather than the door.
    Last edited by Bitsyncmaster; 11-20-2015 at 04:10 AM.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    2412

Club(s):   (DMA)

Quote Originally Posted by 88KPH View Post
    Is there an illustrated guide to doing this?
    I found this helpful.
    http://www.johnspangler.com/DMC/roofseals.html

So with the door closed I used small clips to push the seal downward past the T Panel. After a few hours the seal seems to have stayed in that position. It's not a perfect seal but the door opens and closes properly.

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

I used a temporary strip of rubber next to it and parked it in the sun all day. Never had a problem afterwards.