FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Aftermarket Pedals

Aftermarket Pedals

Do DeLoreans use some kind of special pedal assembly or are they just so old that nothing shows up when I search? I literally can't find any aftermarket pedals that say they are compatible to put in my car.
    Last edited by Scootdive; 11-20-2015 at 08:53 PM. Reason: Aftermarket, Pedal, clutch, gas, break

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

What are you looking for?

I seriously doubt there would be anyone making pedal kits specifically for a Delorean. What would they sell, 2 or 3 kits per year?

You will have to source universal pedal kits. I had a set for my old Talon ricer (300hp ricer that is) but I had to remove the rubber pads and drill holes in the metal to install them. looked cool on a ricer car. There are also univeral kits that use a bar to pinch the pedals but I doubt they would stay in place.
    Last edited by Michael; 11-20-2015 at 09:09 PM.
    http://dmctalk.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=90&dateline=161808992  9

One of those purists you keep hearing about. sdg3205's Avatar

My VIN:    thirty two 'o five

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Quote Originally Posted by Scootdive View Post
    ... or are they just so old that nothing shows up when I search? I literally can't find any aftermarket pedals that say they are compatible to put in my car.
    This. We're not exactly a large demographic.
    Dave

Here, somewhere.

My VIN:    10499

IMG_6287.jpg

I picked up some generic ones advertised for a Peugeot 207 on eBay. Hadn't finished in this picture but you get the general idea. Need to tighten them down, line them up and make some brackets for the dead pedal still. I took a drive earlier and i'm happy with them, the pedals always seemed too close together for my wide feet so any extra distance in between helps.
    Last edited by MNT250; 11-21-2015 at 07:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MNT250 View Post
    IMG_6287.jpg

I picked up some generic ones advertised for a Peugeot 207 on eBay. Hadn't finished in this picture but you get the general idea. Need to tighten them down, line them up and make some brackets for the dead pedal still. I took a drive earlier and i'm happy with them, the pedals always seemed too close together for my wide feet so any extra distance in between helps.
    Very nice! That's the kind of thing i'm looking for. Are they drilled in or clamped on? I hve the same problem with the closeness of the pedals. SOmetimes I go for the break and hit the clutch.

My VIN:    6585

Quote Originally Posted by Scootdive View Post
    Very nice! That's the kind of thing i'm looking for. Are they drilled in or clamped on? I hve the same problem with the closeness of the pedals. SOmetimes I go for the break and hit the clutch.

That shouldn't be happening. Your left foot should move over slightly and press the Clutch while your right one will press down the Brake.

Aftermarket pedal covers aren't going to help you out a bit with any of this. In fact, it's just going to make things WORSE since it'll make the pedal faces bigger. If you're having the kind of problem where you're accidentally hitting pedals, you need to wear narrower shoes until you're used to the layout. Personally, I keep my heels planted, and just slide my foot down the plastic pad sewn into the carpet to always center back onto the Accelerator pedal with my right foot, and hit the left side of the clutch pedal, and then know from memory where to hit the brake with my left foot.

Admittedly, if you grew up learning to drive an Automatic first, and also learned the incorrect way of two-footing it instead of using only your right foot, adjusting to a Manual transmission can be very difficult.

There's nothing wrong with wanting to dress up your car, but if you're having this kind of problem with the narrower pedal box that the DMC-12 has (thanks allot there, Lotus), you need to first master your foot placement with the pedals FIRST before installing anything.
    Robert

People they come together, people they fall apart...

My VIN:    10499

Actually with these pedal covers they are roughly the size of the metal, so they indeed make it so there is a bit of extra room in between just as if you just removed the rubber and were dealing with just the metal underneath. It isn't a whole lot, but it helps. The same couldn't be said about most "universal" aftermarket solutions, especially those with clamps they would most definitely add width since the are made for a wide variety of applications. I did have to drill with these and where the curve is there is a bit of the metal under showing. I may trim it, but probably won't just so the stock pads could be put back if ever desired.

I learned on a manual transmission but did have a bit of difficulty when I first got the DeLorean getting used to it but in time it wasn't really an issue but I just wanted to dress up the pedals a bit and took a chance on these intended for another car and it worked out.

Quote Originally Posted by DMCVegas View Post

That shouldn't be happening. Your left foot should move over slightly and press the Clutch while your right one will press down the Brake.

Aftermarket pedal covers aren't going to help you out a bit with any of this. In fact, it's just going to make things WORSE since it'll make the pedal faces bigger. If you're having the kind of problem where you're accidentally hitting pedals, you need to wear narrower shoes until you're used to the layout. Personally, I keep my heels planted, and just slide my foot down the plastic pad sewn into the carpet to always center back onto the Accelerator pedal with my right foot, and hit the left side of the clutch pedal, and then know from memory where to hit the brake with my left foot.

Admittedly, if you grew up learning to drive an Automatic first, and also learned the incorrect way of two-footing it instead of using only your right foot, adjusting to a Manual transmission can be very difficult.

There's nothing wrong with wanting to dress up your car, but if you're having this kind of problem with the narrower pedal box that the DMC-12 has (thanks allot there, Lotus), you need to first master your foot placement with the pedals FIRST before installing anything.
    IMG_6287.jpg
    Last edited by MNT250; 11-22-2015 at 03:56 PM.

My VIN:    6585

Which is fine and all. If giving you a bit extra space is what you need, nothing wrong with that. I was just curious as to your statement about accidentally hitting the clutch while trying to press the brake. I can see that the other way around, and didn't know if perhaps that was a typo. Because you should absolutely have the clutch depressed with your left foot while braking with your right. I was just trying to figure out if this was perhaps an orientation issue here.
    Robert

People they come together, people they fall apart...

Quote Originally Posted by DMCVegas View Post
    Which is fine and all. If giving you a bit extra space is what you need, nothing wrong with that. I was just curious as to your statement about accidentally hitting the clutch while trying to press the brake. I can see that the other way around, and didn't know if perhaps that was a typo. Because you should absolutely have the clutch depressed with your left foot while braking with your right. I was just trying to figure out if this was perhaps an orientation issue here.
    Your right. Just a typo.

My VIN:    6679

Like AMMNT250 I fitted after marked ones to my baby, though in my case I had to drill holes to mount them.

Chris

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast