FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Headlight bulb type

Headlight bulb type

This may be an incredibly stupid question but what is the standard size for the head light bulbs on an '83 delorean. I always like to keep a spare but I can't find documentation on the size anywhere. Thank you!

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

Are they not just stock sealed beams?

I have the Cibie H4/ H7 conversions but I believe OE is just your run of the mill rectangle sealed beams.

PS: If your headlights are old, I would just replace them all or at least the two low beams. Old OE lights tend to dim over time. Go all out and get some really nice Sylvania extended vision lamps. I don't worry too much about price difference whe it comes to illumination. Be sure you get the ones for a 4 headlight setup.

If you need a size I think they are 6"x4" or 6.5" x 4"...no way really to get the wrong size unless you are blind and get the big square ones.

You can keep the old one as an emergency spare but I don't think it's worth taking up the space. Spares are as close as your local Advance or even Walmart.
    Last edited by Michael; 11-21-2015 at 09:50 AM.
    http://dmctalk.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=90&dateline=161808992  9

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Are they not just stock sealed beams?

I have the Cibie H4/ H7 conversions but I believe OE is just your run of the mill rectangle sealed beams.

PS: If your headlights are old, I would just replace them all or at least the two low beams. Old OE lights tend to dim over time. Go all out and get some really nice Sylvania extended vision lamps. I don't worry too much about price difference whe it comes to illumination. Be sure you get the ones for a 4 headlight setup.

If you need a size I think they are 6"x4" or 6.5" x 4"...no way really to get the wrong size unless you are blind and get the big square ones.

You can keep the old one as an emergency spare but I don't think it's worth taking up the space. Spares are as close as your local Advance or even Walmart.
    Thanks. I am a *very* new owner and I am still trying to work it all out in my head. I appreciate the advise.

My VIN:    2347

H4656 and H4651. One is low beam the other is high beam. Stock ones are 4x6 sealed beam.
    Everyone is tough through a keyboard

My VIN:    03572

I would guess these sealed beams will not be a stock item in a few years. When that happens, I will have to convert my D.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    10201

I just changed out some headlights and learned a few things that might help. I didnt know what a sealed beam is, but the delorean headlight is essentially a big bulb in that you have to replace the whole thing if you want a new bulb. The low beams use the same connector as H4, but the wiring is different. The high beams use H1 connectors. If you switch to headlight housing that uses bulbs instead, such as a semi sealed beam, you will need to switch some wires. Check the headlight circuit under the resource section and h4 bulb wiring to make sure you do the right ones. H4 and H1 bulbs also have different sized bases. I bought a set of 4 matching headlights and found this out the "hard" way. My solution will be using 4 bixenon h4 bulbs since each pair requires a single H4 connector to run.

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by davidc89 View Post
    H4656 and H4651. One is low beam the other is high beam. Stock ones are 4x6 sealed beam.
    Agreed. I just installed Sylvania SilverStars. I chose these because the cars came with Sylvanias originally and the Silverstars are a higher performance, whiter light. Here's a pic of the boxes with the part numbers for reference. H4651ST is the high beam, and H4656ST is the low beam. You can't mix them up because the high beams have 2 prongs, while the low beams have 3 prongs as mentioned above.

image.jpg
    Last edited by DMC-81; 11-21-2015 at 02:20 PM.
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

My VIN:    6125

+1 on the silverstars. I noticed a big improvement over the stock bulbs. I don't think they're as good as a full H4/H7 halogen conversion, but if you're looking to keep the stock look of the headlights then the silverstars are the way to go.

My VIN:    3937

Quote Originally Posted by Scootdive View Post
    Thanks. I am a *very* new owner and I am still trying to work it all out in my head. I appreciate the advise.
    You don't actually have possession of your car yet, do you?

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    +1 on the silverstars. I noticed a big improvement over the stock bulbs. I don't think they're as good as a full H4/H7 halogen conversion, but if you're looking to keep the stock look of the headlights then the silverstars are the way to go.
    Buy spares while you can get them. They won't last as long as the OEM bulbs.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast