FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Winterization with New DMCH Pump/Sender Combo - Full or Empty Tank?

My VIN:    05457

Winterization with New DMCH Pump/Sender Combo - Full or Empty Tank?

I'm winterizing my D this week for the first time since installing the new pump/sender all in one unit. Previously I would drain my tank as low as possible before winterizing to prevent my rubber fuel pump boot from marinading all winter in gas. Now that all the rubber is gone this is no longer a concern. In other cars however common practice is to fill up the tank so that water doesn't have a chance to build up in the tank.

Making matters potentially worse is that I still have about 1/8 of a tank of California gas in the car, so it is a water absorbing ethanol blend (here in MN I can buy real gas).

So my question is: Do I add stable to what I have and call it good or do I top off the tank with pure non oxygenated gas and some stable?
    David Proehl

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by DavidProehl View Post

Making matters potentially worse is that I still have about 1/8 of a tank of California gas in the car, so it is a water absorbing ethanol blend (here in MN I can buy real gas).

So my question is: Do I add stable to what I have and call it good or do I top off the tank with pure non oxygenated gas and some stable?
    I'd still rather it be empty than full. I'd rather put fresh gas in next spring than have to burn off old gas before adding fresh. Wwater/condesiation is not a bid deal as the tank is plastic. That fear comes from old cars with steel tanks.

If you want to do the best thing possible, drain the tank and use the gas in your snowblower. Leave it empty until next spring.

Stabilizer (Sta-Bil or Sea Foam) won't hurt but isn't all that necessary for a 4-5 month sit.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

I'm winterizing my D this week for the first time since installing the new pump/sender all in one unit. Previously I would drain my tank as low as possible before winterizing to prevent my rubber fuel pump boot from marinading all winter in gas. Now that all the rubber is gone this is no longer a concern. In other cars however common practice is to fill up the tank so that water doesn't have a chance to build up in the tank.

After seeing and helping repair many cars because of gas that goes bad my advice is to remove as much as you can of it. Modern fuel does not store well and anything you add makes it less volatile. Not exactly what you want in a fuel. Add fresh when you wake it up again. The other thing I see is a car that was put into short-term storage and then it becomes long term but was not prepared for it. You should also remove the battery and make sure to flush the brake and clutch fluid every 2 years. Other things you should do is cover the car, protect it so nothing can fall on it, over-inflate the tires, test the anti-freeze (change it if it is over 5 years old) make sure the insurance is up to date, make sure the keys and all of the paperwork is in a safe place, remove everything from the car and store it away. I recommend lathering the leather with Leatherique Rejuvinator and if where you store the car can be accessed by mice, some mothballs under the car. It doesn't have to be heated but the car should not be on dirt (a hard floor like asphalt of concrete) and protected from the weather. The area should not be subject to flooding. tornadoes, sinkholes, etc.
    David Teitelbaum

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    ....do is cover the car, ..
    I've started to re-think car covers. In a normal dry residential garage they should not be an issue, but over the years we've seen two issues with car covers.

1 - embedded dirt in a humid garage - this can cause actual corrosion and pitting of the stainless. (This happens over decades, not a winter). A dry car won't corrode. Dust on a car over the winter won't hurt anything, just wash it come spring.

2 - "Invincibility". This is a human nature problem. When people see a covered car, it suddenly turns into a workbench or storage table. We see many cars with cracked louvers and dents/scratches from above that no way happened while the car was being driven. Sure, people can stack crap on a car without a cover on it, but they are less likely to do that if they see the car.

It is important to keep things from falling on cars, the most common dent repairs we do are from things falling on the car in a garage, not from road hazards. Put your old paint cans in the basement or out in the shed, not on shelving over the car.
    Dave S
    Greenville SC

Location:  Burnsville MN-Moving to Kalispell MT. in June 20111

My VIN:    2691

gas cap

Here in Montana I can still get ethanol free premium gas....

Thanks much for the feedback. I'll leave the tank near empty then. Much appreciated!

I also cover my car over the winter, but it never becomes a shelf for me. I wash, pull the battery, and over inflate tires before covering, then let it sit for the winter. The only real change to the routine was the new fuel pump, but it sounds like I shouldn't change anything as a result.

No snow yet in the forecast, but could come any day now. Already had very light flurries.
    David Proehl

No snow yet in the forecast, but could come any day now. Already had very light flurries.
    It missed you. This was the back lot of the shop this morning. No, that's not a DeLorean.

IMG_0685.JPG
    Dave S
    Greenville SC

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

You just made the Christmas spirit hit me, Dave. Thanks!

Looks like winter arrived in full force!
    David Proehl

Looks like winter arrived in full force!
    Yeah - we're gonna make like a tree and get outta here for Thanksgiving. Hopefully we won't see any of this crap in South Carolina.
    Dave S
    Greenville SC

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast