FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Books

My VIN:    10515

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Books

I've not been able to find a general "Books" thread, so thought I'd start one.

If there is one, please add a link to redirect.

If there isn't one, use the title of the book as the post title and let's share!

Thanks!

DeLorean – Stainless Steel Illusion

I finally found a (reasonably priced) copy of ‘DeLorean – Stainless SteelIllusion’.

I haven’t read it yet, but WOW... just from browsing through, there’s somegreat diagrams and photos I’ve not seen before!

My VIN:    0934

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

The DeLorean Story: The Car, The People, The Scandal

There are several threads here and there about several books. This is about one of the more recent ones.

The DeLorean Story: The Car, The People, The Scandal
    by Nick Sutton

A thread about that book with >300 posts on it so far: LINK: The-DeLorean-Story-The-Car-The-People-The-Scandal
    March '81, 5-speed, black interior

The Illustrated Buyer's Guide to DeLorean Automobiles

Another one here, more technical than historical:

The Illustrated Buyer's Guide to DeLorean Automobiles
    by James Espey

No thread specifically for it that I find but plenty of referrals point it out to prospective owners as an excellent resource.

DeLorean - Celebrating the Impossible

by Christopher Parnham & Andrew Withers

THE DeLorean coffee table book. Just about done reading mine. Photos of and stories about the people, the car and the factory from back in the day.

My VIN:    1710

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    by Christopher Parnham & Andrew Withers

THE DeLorean coffee table book. Just about done reading mine. Photos of and stories about the people, the car and the factory from back in the day.
    To me, labeling Celebrating the Impossible as a coffee table book hugely sells it short. Yes, it fits the format: it's a big, rectangular, HEAVY book filled with thousands of glossy pictures... but it's so much more than that. When it comes to the car & company, this book has more content than all of the other DeLorean books combined. Celebrating the Impossible is closer to a DeLorean encyclopedia, in my eyes. It totally redefines the DeLorean book genre.
    Louie Golden

My VIN:    6585

When it comes to books, there are some things to really keep in mind when you read them. Mostly the context and chronological order of them. And this will exclude the modern ones that have come about within the last 5 or so years, as I've not yet had a chance to catch-up with reading/acquiring them.

Save for JZD's autobiography in 1985, and books about law citing Howard Weitzman's defense team, ALL of those old books were written prior to his acquittal. That is a rather key factor in regards to how skewed they are, because at the time all anyone really had were tabloid headlines, rumors, and the face value of "facts" that came from self-professed "authorities" as well as the DEA. No one prior to the trial realized just how bad the prosecutor's case would fall apart, let alone how those other "authorities" such as William Haddad would fall apart. Haddad for example was on GM's payroll while at DMC, and even brought up all sorts of charges against JZD and DMC about financial improprieties which Scotland Yard investigated and found the charges unfounded. Haddad himself even fell apart under testimony.

Now yes, even De Lorean's autobiography is to also be taken somewhat at face value. He worked with Ted Schwartz on it, and even admitted that some things he wanted to write were to be left out. And of course it being an autobiography, it is indeed going to definitely be a slanted view in his favor. But none the less it probably is one of the best books out there.

If you're wanting a solid reading list, these are the ones that I would start with to really learn about John Z. De Lorean, DeLorean Motor Company, and the DMC-12. I've gone ahead with not only a recommended order, but also a brief description of each:

De Lorean by JZD & Ted Schwartz
    (This will fulfill the need to learn as much about the man, car, and company as possible.)
    On a Clear Day you can see General Motors by JZD & Patrick Wright
    (This will give you great insight as to JZD's corporate upbringing within GM, and helps shine a light on why he appeared to be reckless. He wasn't. He was just trying to operate like GM without having their cash resources.)
    Dream Maker by Ivan Fallon & James Srodes
    (Good insight into company operations and development.)
    Stainless Steel Illusion by John Lamm
    (Chances are you're gonna get the 2nd edition which is revised with some corrections. For many years, and still by many to be considered the definitive book on the DMC-12 vehicle. Though more recent tomes may have surpassed it, I don't know.)
    Hard Driving: My Years with John De Lorean by William Haddad
    (Interesting insight into DMC's early development, but still, take Haddad's personal observations/opinions with a grain of salt and realize that many of the accusations turned out to be unfounded)
    Parts Identification Manual by DMC
    (Look at the DMC-12 blown-up, piece by piece, and assembled level by level according to the diagrams. This was believe it or not, the FIRST book I ever read on the subject. Look at the car from the inside out, and become familiar with it to the point where you can look at a car, and KNOW where the pipes and wiring harnesses are below the surface. It will help you build an amazing amount of confidence in both the vehicle as well as yourself.)
    Workshop Manual by DMC
    (Again, the 2nd of the first two books I read. Once you have been able to see what parts are contained within your car and visualize how they connect, the WM will tell you how they function & interconnect, as well as how to diagnose everything. Believe me when I tell you this isn't a goof. Taking the time to study and read these two manuals makes the difference between someone who has a bad experience with their car, and someone who ends up owning one for decades. After 35 years, there are still a few original owners, and far more of us 2nd owners with some that have had our cars longer than the first ones did. It's because we took the time to read and understand our cars from scratch.
    Judging the Jury By Valerie P. Hans & Neil Vidmar
    (Fantastic book about how Attorneys pick and work with juries. Howard Weitzman and 11 of the 12 jurors from the De Lorean drug trial are interviewed and explain the reasons for the acquittal.)
    The Trial Lawyers: The Nation's Top Litigators Tell How They Win by By Emily Couric
    (More interesting info from Howard Weitzman, as well as a prime example of the cross-examination of Benedict J. Tisa, how his testimony fell apart, and a good barometer to demonstrate how flimsy the charges against JZD actually were.)
    Ladies And Gentlemen Of The Jury: Greatest Closing Arguments By Michael S. Lief, Ben Bycell, & Mitchell Caldwell
    (Weitzman's moving, closing arguments in the De Lorean trial.)

As for the newer books, I'm afraid that I am of no help right now. I don't own copies, though they are on the list for my library, and should have them soon enough. Two other old books though, Grand Delusions and The DeLorean Tapes are pretty much just some pre-trial tabloid trash you can skip.
    Last edited by DMCVegas; 11-25-2015 at 11:16 AM. Reason: Correcting Spelling Errors, because Hooked on Phonics failed my ass severely...
    Robert

People they come together, people they fall apart...

I agree with this upgrade to my posting.

Before seeing this new "Books" thread I was intending to contribute a separate review of "CTI" having just read it. The authors certainly picked a very fitting title for this work. So many great contemporary photos of the people and the product.

Quote Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post
    To me, labeling Celebrating the Impossible as a coffee table book hugely sells it short. Yes, it fits the format: it's a big, rectangular, HEAVY book filled with thousands of glossy pictures... but it's so much more than that. When it comes to the car & company, this book has more content than all of the other DeLorean books combined. Celebrating the Impossible is closer to a DeLorean encyclopedia, in my eyes. It totally redefines the DeLorean book genre.

Stainless Steel Illusion

I'm about halfway through "Stainless Steel Illusion"... SO many bits of info and 'facts' - which is my question. How correct are the 'facts' in this book?

I've done a lot of work with Bodie over the years, and "facts" often get inflated, mis-represented or just mis-understood when they are re-told.

Being that John Lamm has written many car books and worked on Road & Track magazine, I feel like I can trust what he's written. Any dissension?

Stainless Steel Illusion - factual?

Quote Originally Posted by dtavres View Post
    I'm about halfway through "Stainless Steel Illusion"... SO many bits of info and 'facts' .....

Being that John Lamm has written many car books and worked on Road & Track magazine, I feel like I can trust what he's written. Any dissension?
    Yes, John Lamm is a well-respected automotive writer. This book is very good in terms of overall accuracy and honesty.

There are a few stories in it that are still not clearly understood now after many years so, given that the book was written so soon after the car went out of production, these minor slips if they are indeed slips are forgivable. The vast majority of what he nails down in this book is accurate so I recommend you trust it.

Feel free to check with the community about any facts you might question.

PS, as pointed out already in this thread there is a second edition that had corrections. My reference is to the first edition. Which edition are you reading?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast