FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Gauges: What is normal?

My VIN:    5003 Never placed Concourse

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by Lwanmtr View Post
    What would be an average rpm for an automatic when doing 60-70mph?
    http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?118-RPM-to-MPH-Chart
    -----Dan B.

My VIN:    4877

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Thanks. The one time (so far) i've driven at highway speed it seemed high. But I admit i could have been in 2nd the whole time, since most of the interior was disassmenbled, so I didnt know where the shifter was..hehe.
    Rob Depew
    Tacoma, Wa
    '81 DeLorean 4877 Grey, Auto, 4 wheels
    The Ressurection of 4877......
    Website
    YouTube
    My Patreon

My VIN:    2805

Club(s):   (DCO) (DCUK)

Reviving an old thread.

My main concern is the battery gauge. When I start the car, the gauge is 13 volts maybe a hair more. However, as I drive it starts to dip a bit to a little under 13. Only load is radio, no interior fan or A/C, and no cooling fans. It gets even worse with the Headlights on (still with only the radio). One evening I was driving around with headlights on (all other exterior lights are LED's) and it was starting to dip lower than I have ever seen it, maybe 1/16" to 1/8" above 8. No issues with driving and the next time I started the car the volts were right around 13 again. RPM's while driving seem to have little effect. The example above was varied speeds from stopped, to 55-60mph.

Could this be the alternator going out or the gauge not reading properly? Belt tension is pretty good, it could be tighten slightly but there is no squeal.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Quote Originally Posted by Nate88 View Post
    Reviving an old thread.

My main concern is the battery gauge. When I start the car, the gauge is 13 volts maybe a hair more. However, as I drive it starts to dip a bit to a little under 13. Only load is radio, no interior fan or A/C, and no cooling fans. It gets even worse with the Headlights on (still with only the radio). One evening I was driving around with headlights on (all other exterior lights are LED's) and it was starting to dip lower than I have ever seen it, maybe 1/16" to 1/8" above 8. No issues with driving and the next time I started the car the volts were right around 13 again. RPM's while driving seem to have little effect. The example above was varied speeds from stopped, to 55-60mph.

Could this be the alternator going out or the gauge not reading properly? Belt tension is pretty good, it could be tighten slightly but there is no squeal.
    Check the belt on the alternator and get it tested.
    David Teitelbaum

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

Quote Originally Posted by Nate88 View Post
    Reviving an old thread.

The volt gauge is known to be inaccurate. Check your voltage at the battery with the engine running with a multi meter...compare to what the gauge tells you then you will know.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2