FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Swapping Air Conditioning Compressors.

My VIN:    6585

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas R View Post
    How many LSx swaps have you seen this on? I'm not aware of any LS swap where the rear frame member was removed. As far as I know, all that are currently on the road (4 now?) still have both the rear steel frame member and the foam impact bumper. Maybe the photos you've seen were just with that piece unbolted. Many people make the piece bolt on instead of welded, in order to make it easier to get the drivetrain in and out (any longer drivetrain than stock pretty much requires it). This is something that people have been doing to DeLoreans for years; even stock ones. On the Pearce SS frames, that piece came as a bolt on piece.
    It's a possibility. I could have sworn that I've also seen another picture of a V8 swap where the Rear Closing Panel had to have a niche cut into it to accommodate a water pump pulley. If not, that's great news to hear since the Coyote is about the same size if I went with that one instead.

I also remember the Pearce frames. I love the revised design for the TABs implemented into that one.

Also, that tornado stuff is nice, but be aware that the bellhousing only supports the differential in the GT40 orientation (engine in front of transmission), not the reverse. Using that bellhousing would still require some chopping and modifying.
    Won't know until I got it since I can't find a direct picture of the part itself, but it's something I'm prepared for. If It can be done to a UN1 from an Esprit to accommodate the flipped Ring Gear, it shouldn't be a problem for an aftermarket bellhousing. If nothing else, GT Racing already has the flipped adaptor for the DeLorean application, so who knows if they might not be the source for something a bit more turnkey as well?
    Robert

People they come together, people they fall apart...

My VIN:    01643

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by DMCVegas View Post
    It's a possibility. I could have sworn that I've also seen another picture of a V8 swap where the Rear Closing Panel had to have a niche cut into it to accommodate a water pump pulley. If not, that's great news to hear since the Coyote is about the same size if I went with that one instead.

I also remember the Pearce frames. I love the revised design for the TABs implemented into that one.

Won't know until I got it since I can't find a direct picture of the part itself, but it's something I'm prepared for. If It can be done to a UN1 from an Esprit to accommodate the flipped Ring Gear, it shouldn't be a problem for an aftermarket bellhousing. If nothing else, GT Racing already has the flipped adaptor for the DeLorean application, so who knows if they might not be the source for something a bit more turnkey as well?
    I made a small notch in my bumper frame to accommodate the nose of the pulley. The surrounding area was reinforced with gussets and extra steel plate to compensate (plus the support of the rectangular tubing inside the foam bumper). I think mine is the only one that required this though because the others used the later lower profile waterpump pulleys.

Tornado is a US distributor for GTO Racing. Here's what the Ford bellhousing looks like. Its only got the differential recess on one side so it will need modified to run the opposite direction.

Ford Bellhousing.jpg

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Would an inline electric water pump possibly help with clearance problems??

My VIN:    01643

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    Would an inline electric water pump possibly help with clearance problems??
    Its possible that it could. I considered it for a while but those pumps are pretty expensive, and typically they're geared more around race cars than daily drivers. Plus all of the electric waterpumps I've seen still have a full size pulley that acts as an idler so that the belt routing doesn't have to change; it may end up still taking up the same amount of space. Would definitely want to take good measurements beforehand to be sure.

My VIN:    6585

That makes sense given the idea behind the electric water pumps are more to reduce parasitic loss for racing rather than size concerns for custom engine installations.
    Robert

People they come together, people they fall apart...

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Plus all of the electric waterpumps I've seen still have a full size pulley that acts as an idler so that the belt routing doesn't have to change; it may end up still taking up the same amount of space.
    No-no...inline/remote (sorry). EG use a custom length belt/idler, this guy,

mez-wp116shd_w_ml.jpg Summit,

and something like,
    mor-63513_dz_ml.jpgSummit.
    Last edited by Ron; 12-06-2015 at 01:40 AM.

My VIN:    2823

Quote Originally Posted by DMCVegas View Post
    I could have sworn that I've also seen another picture of a V8 swap where the Rear Closing Panel had to have a niche cut into it to accommodate a water pump pulley. If not, that's great news to hear since the Coyote is about the same size if I went with that one instead.
    You may be thinking of my swap with the 4.3. I had to run a short water pump and also notch out the rear panel slightly to accommodate it. HOWEVER that was because at the time, I was running a stock auto trans and had to use a custom bellhousing to fit the torque converter. The bellhousing was HUGE! Back then (2001) there weren't near as many engine swaps as there are now and I REALLY wanted to go LS6, but there was NO WAY with the auto trans. Now that I have a 915 trans, the bellhousing is probably not even a 1/4 of the size of the auto and I could easily fit a longer/bigger engine (ie LSx series if/once the 4.3 Vortec dies)
    81 DeLorean w 4.3 Chevy Vortec engine mated to Porsche 915 transaxle

My VIN:    TBA@LaterDate

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    1. Most of them have an adjustment that is within the range needed anyway. The ones for almost all of the older GMs are cheap and plug and play...
    2. ?? FOV means "flush out valve" when it comes to A/C for me... did you mean FOT "fixed orifice tube" (cycling clutch orifice tube system)? If so, it's the same thing. Otherwise, some expansion valve (TXV) compressors could work but you would have to check out the specs. What is it off of?
    If you work in a bio lab, FOV means "field of view" as with microscopes.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2