FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: How To: Rebuild the CV Joints

My VIN:    5003 Never placed Concourse

Club(s):   (DCF)

I know the subject is rebuild, but if anyone goes in and finds one of their CV joints damaged, you can get a X-ref replacement from a Porsch 911, same with boots and cap. Last time I did this, I got all 4 for a good price and it saved me from having to deal with cleaning up the grease.
    -----Dan B.

My VIN:    01643

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by dn010 View Post
    I know the subject is rebuild, but if anyone goes in and finds one of their CV joints damaged, you can get a X-ref replacement from a Porsch 911, same with boots and cap. Last time I did this, I got all 4 for a good price and it saved me from having to deal with cleaning up the grease.
    Just to clarify, it's the 911 Turbo (930). There are versions of the naturally aspirated 911 that had the smaller VW CV joints that are not the right size. But I believe pretty much all the late 70s and 80s 930s use the same CVs as the DeLorean.

My VIN:    03572

After cleaning my CV joints I noticed a green dot shows a side with a little undercutting on the spline. So I guess this side needs to be oriented in a proper direction. Anybody know the direction?
    Attached Images
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    01643

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    After cleaning my CV joints I noticed a green dot shows a side with a little undercutting on the spline. So I guess this side needs to be oriented in a proper direction. Anybody know the direction?
    The same way you took it off

I believe that the side with the machined shoulder goes to the inside of the shaft. At least that's how I've always rebuilt them.

My VIN:    5003 Never placed Concourse

Green arrow goes towards the the shaft, you can see the splines are cut at an angle to make it easier to engage the splines on the shaft. Flat side up for the snap ring.

I could be mistaken, but I believe if you put it together backwards you can't put the snap ring on it due to a clearance issue, making it foolproof.
    Last edited by dn010; 08-30-2018 at 12:00 PM.
    -----Dan B.

My VIN:    <2000

I agree with Nick and Dan.
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

I think your all correct. I tried sliding it on the shaft both ways and it looks like I could only get the C clip on when the green dot (cut spline) side is put onto the shaft first.
    Dave M vin 03572

My VIN:    5742 - auto trans 1014 - manual

Anyone know the proper torque, when putting the bolts back in?

My VIN:    <2000

Quote Originally Posted by Mark413 View Post
    Anyone know the proper torque, when putting the bolts back in?
    Hi Mark. Yes, it's 30 ft lbs. It can also be found in K:09:01 of the Workshop Manual, or in the service bulletin ST-09-7.81 under "Shaft to inner and outer drive shafts"
    Thread size= M10 x 17
    NM = 40
    Ft.lbs. = 30
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

Ready to assemble.

Note the CV housing has a ring on one side. I don't think it matters if you flip it but on my car the side with ring is on the side without the boot. I've seen a few you tube videos that suggest to not put the same axle or same end back in the car the way they came out so the bearings may sit in a new "unused" spot. You can see a shinny spot where the bearing are mostly sitting.

Also my caps had some sort of "glue" on them to hold them onto the CV housing. It was a soft blue color "glue". I don't think you need any glue which was probably just so they did not fall apart in the parts bin.

I also did some measurements just in case you loose your "C clip" or someone installed a wrong axle.

Length of axle shaft = 21.11"
    Distance from end of shaft to center-line of the boot clamp location =4.975"
    C-clamp location dia. on shaft = 1.045"
    Attached Images
    Dave M vin 03572

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast