FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: How To: Rebuild the CV Joints

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    Ready to assemble.

Note the CV housing has a ring on one side. I don't think it matters if you flip it but on my car the side with ring is on the side without the boot. I've seen a few you tube videos that suggest to not put the same axle or same end back in the car the way they came out so the bearings may sit in a new "unused" spot. You can see a shinny spot where the bearing are mostly sitting.

Also my caps had some sort of "glue" on them to hold them onto the CV housing. It was a soft blue color "glue". I don't think you need any glue which was probably just so they did not fall apart in the parts bin.

I also did some measurements just in case you loose your "C clip" or someone installed a wrong axle.

Length of axle shaft = 21.11"
    Distance from end of shaft to center-line of the boot clamp location =4.975"
    C-clamp location dia. on shaft = 1.045"

Hi Dave, the glue was blue Hylomar and was there as a seal to prevent leaking of the grease from the joint. I would highly recommend cleaning the old Hylomar off and replacing it with the same or a good bead of RTV.
    Otherwise your joints will drip on a hot day, and fling grease everywhere.

Also, I recommend using blue Loctite on the bolts.
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

My VIN:    03572

Thanks for that suggestion.

I put the boots on the axle. Remember when you install the large clamp, place the clamp where you want it to sit and put the clamping bump between two bolt holes so you don't have any interference installing the bolts.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3