FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Tach stuck not working

1981 VIN 2692

Post Tach stuck not working

My Tach is stuck at 7000 RPM's and doesn't move at all. Could the issue be the gauge itself or is there something else that could cause this issue before I rip the dash apart and replace the tach?

My VIN:    3937

Yes and yes.

What was the last thing the tach did before it got stuck at 7,000 RPM? Was it working fine the last time you drove the car and then now it doesn't move?

What was the last thing you did with or to the car? Any recent work you've done, replacing something or some other repair or project?

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

I would be interested in your old one if you wind up replacing it -- PM me.

1981 VIN 2692

I actually just got the car yesterday so I really can't answer any questions about what it did or anything that was done. Replacing it seems relatively easy so unless there's something more simple to check I'll probably do that

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

My VIN:    3937

Wow, seriously? Just replace it right off the bat... you like spending money or something?

Have a look at the wiring diagrams. The connection to the tach is a white/slate wire that connects to go a few different places including the #12 location on the instrument cluster printed circuit connector as well as the top of the ignition coil. Could just be one of those wiring connections is loose or corroded, maybe in the bulkhead connectors.

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Bad tach.

But if you are handy with electronics you may be able to fix it. Usually caused by overvoltage i.e. jump starter, connecting power to the tach lead etc.

If the failure is external (i.e. circuit board, power, external wiring) it will generally sit at about 1000. Like when you turn the car off.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC