FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Josh Q/VIN 3307's Custom DPI Twin-Turbo E.F.I. Project Build

Post Josh Q/VIN 3307's Custom DPI Twin-Turbo E.F.I. Project Build

So I thought I would share my next big project. See below pictures and road map to have this done by summer 2016.
    I welcome any questions or suggestions along the way.

Attachment 38521Attachment 38522Attachment 38523Attachment 38524Attachment 38525Attachment 38526Attachment 38527Attachment 38528Attachment 38529Attachment 38530

*Twin-Turbo DeLorean Road Map*

-Purchased Custom Tailored Twin-Turbo EFI Kit from DPI
    -Turbos- 1548 water cooled largest t25 flanged water cooled available undersized for lower boost applications, they spool very fast and give a very nice power range. They do top out from testing at 390ish ft lbs
    -oil feed and drain lines and fittings
    -Turbo coolant lines and fittings
    -Compressor inlet piping
    -Partial Compressor outlet piping
    -K-JET bypass adapter plate and piping
    -Silicone connectors and clamps
    -header to turbo adapter pipes
    -tail pipes
    -Waste Gate dump pipes/adaptors
    -PCV fittings for valve covers
    -Oil pan gasket
    -Gussets between turbo and flange double gaskets one on each side of that others are waste gates and intake pipe supports
    -To Buy List
    -two K&N air filters to fit in pontoons
    -two Blow-Off Valves– Vee Port Pro Turbo Smart
    -two wastegates – Ultra-gate 38 Turbo Smart
    -two 5 psi spring kits for the wastegates
    -(6) 24 lb injectors
    -DPI Fuel Rails
    -Holley wide band O2 sensor 554-100

-Megasquirt computer ms3 pro or base ms2- 3.0 not 3.57 as the flyback has odd fire issues. the non registered studiotuner software supports odd fire control http://www.diyautotune.com/catalog/m...ase-p-119.html
    -Does anyone know where i can get one already built instead of the kit? I don't trust my soldering skills; would like to control both spark and fuel

-Build or buy ecu wiring harness
    -Anyone have any pointers for building this? Otherwise, I should be fine.

-Software - free source tunerstudio is best with registered version around $100, unlocks a number of things that can help with drivability.
    -Alternator relocation brass spacer as the turn buckle is for m8/5/16 and the timing cover is m7
    -Aeromotive Fuel pressure regulator – need part number. Any suggestions?
    -Coolant sensor – need part number or does it use original?
    -Coolant adaptor for at water pump – from DPI
    -map sensor – megasquirt already comes with one
    -tps sensor – need a part number -mounted on throttle shield above spool.
    -intake temp sensor – need a part number - mounted in lower metering housing.
    -misc fuel lines – Need to figure out thread size on stock delorean hard lines to adapt to braided (from filter, and the one back to tank)

-To Do List
    -drill and tap holes in block for turbo drain fittings
    -lock advance mechanism in distributor
    -Remove old K-Jet Components –need a list of items to remove

-After Completion, Success, and Financial Stability
    -Add intercoolers and eventually go through the engine to increase boost.

I'll be posting updates as the project progresses.
    Hope you all enjoy the journey

One of those purists you keep hearing about. sdg3205's Avatar

My VIN:    thirty two 'o five

Club(s):   (PNDC)

I'm drooling.

Have you already installed high compression Pistons? I know you're already running the spec cams.
    Dave

Here, somewhere.

Not yet. I'm only running 5psi at first and then later will go through the engine, including the pistons.

One of those purists you keep hearing about. sdg3205's Avatar

My VIN:    thirty two 'o five

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Josh Q/VIN 3307's Custom DPI Twin-Turbo E.F.I. Project Build

At 5 psi, cams and efi, do you and josh estimate this will be a bit beyond legend vin 502? That's still a hell of a good starting place.

Assuming internals are at some point beefed up and boost is maximized what is the performance goal?
    Dave

Here, somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by sdg3205 View Post
    At 5 psi, cams and efi, do you and josh estimate this will be a bit beyond legend vin 502? That's still a hell of a good starting place.

Assuming internals are at some point beefed up and boost is maximized what is the performance goal?
    Josh would have to speak to actual HP and TQ numbers. The only way I will be able to is when I dyno the car when the project is complete which is planned.
    At this point I want to max out HP while still safe on the stock internals (excluding the cams). The second phase is to add intercoolers. The third face would be to go into the engine and change the pistons, rings, and any other weak points in the engine and then retune and test again.

For me, I have always wanted to do a Turbo setup since I was pre-teen. Being able to do it with a DeLorean with high quality and high tech parts is a dream come true. I also want EFI hardware and software tuning experience. So this will fulfill both of those goals. Of course I want more horsepower to match the looks as most would agree. For me it is just perfecting the process and being happy with the results....
    JQ

President, DeLorean Industries

My VIN:    5646,5080, 5880, 10234, 3639, 2518, 10586, 1538

Out put is highly subjective to many things. EFI layout, engine efficiency etc. Our base engine is rated at 306 ft lbs of torque and 283 hp at 9 psi. This is intercooled, with full ignition and fuel control.
    www.deloreanindustries.com Every Detail Matters

My VIN:    16951

Club(s):   (DCO) (DOA) (DCUK)

Amazing project, please keep us update on progress

My VIN:    5003 Never placed Concourse

Club(s):   (DCF)

If you call DIYAutotune you can probably get the ECU you want built for you instead of assembling yourself.

As for the harness, I purchased one through DIY that already had the MS unit connector on it. My engine is originally from a Volvo 780 so on the engine side I used one of my many engine harnesses I had laying around from those cars and spliced/soldered/heat shrink to the ECU harness, that way I didn't have to worry about making a lot of connectors. The best is to grab wiring from a junk vehicle that way you have pretty much all the color wiring you could ever want and a pretty decent length as well.

I cannot help you on the fuel pressure sensor, but the coolant sensor I used the original, check the EFI section of the forum for the TPS information (EDIT here is the link: http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?12...ith-Megasquirt ). I do not have a intake temp sensor yet but I'm planning on switching my Bosch MAF to the Ford Lightening MAF which includes a temp sensor in it.

For the fuel lines, I used high pressure fuel line with the correct fuel line clamps. I pushed the connector down the steel return line (I should have cut the connector off but it was too late as I already installed the body) and crimped the fuel line on there. For the fuel filter I used a hallow fuel fitting with a barbed nipple (like the fuel pump uses). Clamped them all down and haven't had any leaks to this day.

Other plans I have is to use dual wideband sensors, maybe early next year - I am currently using 1 LC-2 with Bosch sensor.

Hope some of this helps...
    Last edited by dn010; 12-14-2015 at 03:06 PM.
    -----Dan B.

My VIN:    10644

I was just checking out DPI's site to see their turbo offering. Damn, this thing looks amazing: http://www.deloreanindustries.com/sp...rbo-installed/ Do any of the members of this message board have this engine? I'd love to hear some stories.

Post Pre Conversion Pics

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast