FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Josh Q/VIN 3307's Custom DPI Twin-Turbo E.F.I. Project Build

Nit-picking customer(as seen on TV) Iznodmad's Avatar

My VIN:    #5000 (Grey, manual, SS chassis, intercooled twin turbo), #16128 (Grey, auto, efi twin turbo), #888

Club(s):   (DCVA) (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by BladeBronson View Post
    I was just checking out DPI's site to see their turbo offering. Damn, this thing looks amazing: http://www.deloreanindustries.com/sp...rbo-installed/ Do any of the members of this message board have this engine? I'd love to hear some stories.
    First of all, I'm not here to steal the thunder from the OP and his build thread. I also don't really have any stories to share at this point in time. But the answer to your question is yes. I have two of the twin turbo engines on order. One is maximum offering for the 5-speed and the other is the maximum offering for the automatic. I have not taken delivery of either. But when I do, I will share with the community with pics, vids, and impressions.

Quote Originally Posted by dn010 View Post
    If you call DIYAutotune you can probably get the ECU you want built for you instead of assembling yourself.

As for the harness, I purchased one through DIY that already had the MS unit connector on it. My engine is originally from a Volvo 780 so on the engine side I used one of my many engine harnesses I had laying around from those cars and spliced/soldered/heat shrink to the ECU harness, that way I didn't have to worry about making a lot of connectors. The best is to grab wiring from a junk vehicle that way you have pretty much all the color wiring you could ever want and a pretty decent length as well.

I cannot help you on the fuel pressure sensor, but the coolant sensor I used the original, check the EFI section of the forum for the TPS information (EDIT here is the link: http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?12...ith-Megasquirt ). I do not have a intake temp sensor yet but I'm planning on switching my Bosch MAF to the Ford Lightening MAF which includes a temp sensor in it.

For the fuel lines, I used high pressure fuel line with the correct fuel line clamps. I pushed the connector down the steel return line (I should have cut the connector off but it was too late as I already installed the body) and crimped the fuel line on there. For the fuel filter I used a hallow fuel fitting with a barbed nipple (like the fuel pump uses). Clamped them all down and haven't had any leaks to this day.

Other plans I have is to use dual wideband sensors, maybe early next year - I am currently using 1 LC-2 with Bosch sensor.

Hope some of this helps...
    Thanks for the help. Still waiting on DPI to help me fill in the blanks with what I need. Then I will slowly put together all of the parts.

My VIN:    SCEDT26TXBD001292 SCEDT26T6DD020098

Club(s):   (AZ-D) (DMA) (LINY-DMC) (DCUK)

Those pictures are of my car, VIN 1292. It is an amazing project and the quality and attention to detail are top notch. The car pulls very, very strong. Since getting it back about a year ago, Josh has done a number of updates, modifications and tuning to extract more power out of it, at my request. I believe it has been said here, "go boost or go home." Now that I've had a huge taste of it, I need more! Rob G. drove it while out in Phoenix a few months back and said that this was *the* fastest DeLorean he has ever known. Our next project is working on brake upgrades. The car now needs to stop as well as it goes! I highly recommend Josh, DPI and his product. There is no question in my mind that the future of the DeLorean, and performance, is Josh Bengston.

Quote Originally Posted by BladeBronson View Post
    I was just checking out DPI's site to see their turbo offering. Damn, this thing looks amazing: http://www.deloreanindustries.com/sp...rbo-installed/ Do any of the members of this message board have this engine? I'd love to hear some stories.
    - Josh

SCEDT26TXBD001292: Black 5 spd - Holley EFI 3.0L PRV - Custom TwinTurbo by DeLorean Industries
    SCEDT26T6DD020098: Grey 5 spd - K-Jet CIS 2.85L PRV

Not a DeLorean Guru

My VIN:    01049

Can you share some pictures of the finalized install?
    -Mike

My engine twists my frame.

1981 DeLorean, Carb LS4 swap completed
    1999 Corvette, cam/headers/intake manifold, 400 rwhp
    2005 Elise, stock
    2016 Chevy Cruze

Quote Originally Posted by opethmike View Post
    Can you share some pictures of the finalized install?
    +1, and any video footage of it idling, revving, or the car driving?

President, DeLorean Industries

My VIN:    5646,5080, 5880, 10234, 3639, 2518, 10586, 1538

I have a bunch of videos etc of this. Josh, to not derail your thread I'm going to start a separate one to keep yours on topic and post more info, pics, vids etc there. I've been aprehensive of too much data on this going out because we couldn't build these fast enough in the past. Still back logged but output is ten fold.
    www.deloreanindustries.com Every Detail Matters

Not a DeLorean Guru

My VIN:    01049

So does anyone have pictures or video of this in a finished, received car?
    -Mike

My engine twists my frame.

1981 DeLorean, Carb LS4 swap completed
    1999 Corvette, cam/headers/intake manifold, 400 rwhp
    2005 Elise, stock
    2016 Chevy Cruze

President, DeLorean Industries

My VIN:    5646,5080, 5880, 10234, 3639, 2518, 10586, 1538

I have tons... I'll try to upload next few days when I have a chance.
    www.deloreanindustries.com Every Detail Matters

Quote Originally Posted by 20098 View Post
    Our next project is working on brake upgrades. The car now needs to stop as well as it goes!.
    That looks amazing, but the idea of driving my D with standard brakes and an extra single horse would fill me with dread. My 35 year VW bus has better brakes!
    I loves my grooves!

Question

I'm going to move forward with this project. If anyone has answers to the following questions, I would appreciate it. Otherwise, I will figure them out on my own:

#1 I currently plan to go with the Megasquirt spark and fuel control unless someone strongly recommends a different platform.
    Below are the two options. Per the last conversation i had with DPI, "Megasquirt computer ms3 pro or base ms2- 3.0 not 3.57 as the flyback has odd fire issues."

I believe this to be the correct and assembled to use MS2:
    http://www.diyautotune.com/catalog/m...unit-p-65.html
    and Megasquirt ecu wiring harness- http://www.diyautotune.com/catalog/1...ady-p-477.html

Otherwise, this is the MS3 Pro:
    http://www.diyautotune.com/catalog/m...ess-p-538.html

I'm still researching which one to go with. The MS2 is half the price. I don't have an unlimited budget. However, if it will make a big difference, I will go with the MS3P.

#2 Removing K-Jet Components that will no longer be used (for both fuel and ignition). I believe I will be able to remove the following: Cold Start Valve, Warm Up Regulator, Frequency Valve, The mechanical injectors and stainless lines, the fuel distributor and air metering assembly (the top half is being replaced with the nicely designed turbo inlet assembly to use the original throttle body). Does the Idle-Air Control Valve get reused? I will be removing the Lambda setup, Idle computer, and ignition computer as well, correct? How about any additional sensors or vacuum lines, distributor advance, etc?

#3 Fuel Feed Lines - Either I find adaptor fittings to the original line from the fuel filter and return line to the tank, or i cut off the fittings and use compression fittings and adaptors to the new setup that will use AN fittings. Any recommendations?

#4 Intake air temperature sensor. Looking for a part number and how to mount it to the lower air metering housing.

#5 MAP sensor, I believe MS2 comes with one that will be plenty for what I am doing. I believe the MS3P does not. In this case, what would be a good part #?

#6 Coolant Temp Sensor, can I use the original or a different one? Research says they like the GM version, but I don't know how to adapt.

#7 Alternator relocation -Per last DPI conversation "use brass spacer as the turn buckle is for m8/5/16 and the timing cover is m7" Anyone have clarification on this? I am currently using a turnbuckle adjustment setup in place of the original adjuster bracket.

In addition, DPI did provide a recommendation on the:
    -TPS sensor: TCI brand part # 377400 plus Holley Part # 20-40 fitting. Just need to figure out where to put the fitting specifically.
    -Aeromotive Fuel pressure regulator – Part # 13129
    -Software - "free source tunerstudio is best free version and registered i would pay the 100 bucks for reg
    unlocks a number of things that can help with drivability" I believe this to be correct: http://www.tunerstudio.com/index.php.../tunerstudioms

I believe these to be the correct injectors at 24 lbs and at 45psi fuel system pressure: http://www.jegs.com/i/Accel/110/150624/10002/-1

I did find fuel injector pigtails (6): http://www.diyautotune.com/catalog/f...-ev1-p-48.html

I can buy the pre-built DPI fuel rails or I can source undrilled stock from work here, just need to measure length: http://www.jegs.com/p/FAST/FAST-Univ...rPage=60&pno=1

This is all for now. Any help is appreciated. Really looking forward to putting it all together.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast