FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Who can be trusted to work on a Delorean?

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Make sure it's an OLD Volvo guy. The technology has changed so much that just being Volvo certified don't mean jack unless this guy has been working on them since the 70s. Most techs will look at you like you asked for a light saber if you mention dwell meter.
    That's good advice.

I've heard many stories out Volvo shops saying "hell no", and even picked up a car or two from "Volvo" shops after they screwed it up or gave up on the car. At this point they may not have any more expertise than anyone else. Volvo hasn't used K-Jet in 30 years.

What you will find is that some shops may be adventurous and competent, most are not adventurous (i.e. don't want to risk screwing up something they can't fix, or will take more time than they can bill for) or are just incompetent.

Depending on your issues, another worry is that most shops of any sort have never seen or tried to bring back to life a car that has been parked for 20+ years and they have no idea how much damage that can do to a car.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

I am adopting a rule. Never take technical advice from someone who after 5 years still can't figure out the difference between the "reply to thread" button and the "reply with quote" button
    How about people where the signature graphic is bigger than the post?
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

Quote Originally Posted by DMCMW Dave View Post
    Looks like I am going to have to start writing "DMCVegas" length posts.

It will be gone soon enough...only have around 60 more filters to sell to break even.
    http://dmctalk.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=90&dateline=161808992  9

Not a DeLorean Guru

My VIN:    01049

I am adopting a rule. Never take technical advice from someone who after 5 years still can't figure out the difference between the "reply to thread" button and the "reply with quote" button
    But he's a guru! Sure, a self-appointed guru, but a guru!
    -Mike

My engine twists my frame.

1981 DeLorean, Carb LS4 swap completed
    1999 Corvette, cam/headers/intake manifold, 400 rwhp
    2005 Elise, stock
    2016 Chevy Cruze

My VIN:    1776

Quote Originally Posted by Scootdive View Post
    I'm a relatively new Delorean owner and I'm trying to decide who I should let work on my car. Unfortunately, I live no where near anyone that you would consider a Delorean expert. Being 30 years old, and having a reputation for being somewhat temperamental, Deloreans need regular preventative mantaniance. Worse, they may eventually need repairs. Paying $1000 round trip to ship my car to a place like DPI or DMC for minor repairs or mantaniance is obviously not cost effective.
    What level of knowledge does a mechanic at a car shop have? Are they capable of working on these cars?
    How good a mechanic are you? If you have a good, straightforward mechanic's sense and skill, you may be better off maintaining it yourself, especially if you have a little experience with old British sports cars (with which the D shares rather a lot). Preventative maintenance is no different than any other car, really, and the Delorean is by modern standards bog-simple.

Quietly enjoying ownership Cory W's Avatar

My VIN:    4692

Quote Originally Posted by Scootdive View Post
    I'm a relatively new Delorean owner and I'm trying to decide who I should let work on my car. Unfortunately, I live no where near anyone that you would consider a Delorean expert. Being 30 years old, and having a reputation for being somewhat temperamental, Deloreans need regular preventative mantaniance. Worse, they may eventually need repairs. Paying $1000 round trip to ship my car to a place like DPI or DMC for minor repairs or mantaniance is obviously not cost effective.
    What level of knowledge does a mechanic at a car shop have? Are they capable of working on these cars?
    This summer I drove my car with side impact damage 1200 kms one way (across an international border with the driver door jammed shut) to take it where I have a previous relationship with and trust the people. (this is my DMC Midwest plug) Shipping your car isn't the only option, if it moves under its own power.

As everybody has said, the more you know and can do yourself, the better. You may meet some very helpful people close enough to you just looking for an excuse to set up a Tech Day. Help is plentiful (and free) on here.

Of course, you may not want to turn your own wrenches, or finding time is the issue. Find out where owners of old (70s-mid 80s) VWs, Mercedes, and Volvos go in your area and build a relationship.

As for the stubborn reputation, I've had my car seven years now and have been left stranded twice, both in the first two years of ownership. A near overheat (low coolant, first weeks of ownership), and broken Trailing Arm Bolt, which could happen to any older vehicle. Once some wrinkles are smoothed out, DeLorean's aren't all that finicky. If you have doubt about an system in the vehicle, rebuild it to establish a benchmark (cooling system renewed in 2015, brakes in 2016, etc) and maintain it like you would any other older car.

Don't forget to drive it. They reward you for your attention.
    Last edited by Cory W; 12-13-2015 at 11:09 PM.

My VIN:    005058 000927

Club(s):   (AZ-D) (DMA) (DOA) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by DMCMW Dave View Post
    Nice little zinger there Dave. You should show your sense of humor more often.
    Rob

My VIN:    005058 000927

Club(s):   (AZ-D) (DMA) (DOA) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by opethmike View Post
    But he's a guru! Sure, a self-appointed guru, but a guru!
    And I thought he was referring to me!

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

For whatever reason the only "reply" button that appears for me is the "reply to quote" button. I do not always delete the quote. I freely admit I am not the best when it comes to the Internet and am not even a a good typist. I see no connection between that and my knowledge and experience fixing Deloreans. As for ANY advice given, especially on the internet, you must consider it carefully and decide if it is safe, practical, and useful. You should also consider it's source. In the end it is up to the reader what advice to follow.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    2743

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCH) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

Quote Originally Posted by Cory W View Post

Of course, you may not want to turn your own wrenches, or finding time is the issue. Find out where owners of old (70s-mid 80s) VWs, Mercedes, and Volvos go in your area and build a relationship.

Also old British sports cars. While the engine has nothing in common, the suspension and brakes will be familiar to them. More importantly, they will be used to picky owners and odd cars and if they are still in business, then they are probably quite good.
    Dermot
    VIN 2743, B/A, Frame 2227, engine 2320

I don't always drive cars, but when I do, I prefer DeLoreans

http://www.will-to-live.org

No-one is to stone anyone, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say "carburetor"

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast