FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Piece of metal that happens to be shaped like a catalytic converter and is hollow

Piece of metal that happens to be shaped like a catalytic converter and is hollow

Since a used catalytic converter has no value and are not suppossed to be legally sold. I have a piece of metal that happens to look/shaped like one, with nothing on the inside. If this interests anyone pm me an offer.

My VIN:    03238 Grey & Black Hybrid - Auto - work in progress Former owner 10902 - Universal 93 Raffle Car

Quote Originally Posted by Masaes727 View Post
    Since a used catalytic converter has no value and are not suppossed to be legally sold. I have a piece of metal that happens to look/shaped like one, with nothing on the inside. If this interests anyone pm me an offer.
    I had one of these once, I actually found it in my car! Before I took it out the car did seem peppier, I was a little sad when it had to come out and I had to install a proper cat. In CA I have to pass smog tests, and it wasn't possible without swapping in a functional cat.

Our friends in parts of europe are free to remove a cat and install a bypass pipe, but its not cheap and in many or all states here in the US I think thats illegal. In some states, even if there is no smog test, you still have to have the original smog and emissions equipment installed, even if no one is checking to make sure they are functional.

All of this adds up to making what you are selling here rather nice to have - it would improve performance if it was bolted onto a car, even though that's not anyone's intent here. It also maintains original appearance which keeps it technically legal it states that don't smog test, and concours compliant.

I did very well when I sold mine, but mine was worth more maybe because I sold it as a "collectors piece/modern art". If yours is only a "piece of metal that resembles a cat", it can't be worth as much as "art". Ahem.

Good luck with the sale - I think you will get a very fair offer. I'd buy it if I could...

Tom

My VIN:    1768

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

i have one of these as well, since R&Ring the cat is a horrible horrible job i may not put it back in. however if anyone is curious I dyno tested my car before and after the swap and netted 0hp and 6ft lb tq. but your results will vary.

I now have a test pipe installed. Which I ran for while, by its self, prior to reinstalling the muffler. Wicked wicked loud. But shaking the house at 6 am before heading to work, doesn't sit well with another person I happen to be married to and who also happens to hate the D. So far no smog testing here, but when/it comes I will have to retitle her some where less restrictive.

My VIN:    03238 Grey & Black Hybrid - Auto - work in progress Former owner 10902 - Universal 93 Raffle Car

Quote Originally Posted by vwdmc16 View Post
    i have one of these as well, since R&Ring the cat is a horrible horrible job i may not put it back in. however if anyone is curious I dyno tested my car before and after the swap and netted 0hp and 6ft lb tq. but your results will vary.
    I wish someone would invent a "California Cat" with a panel that opens to let you slide the core in and out for smog tests.

I also wish I could get the car Dynoed as easily/often as you did (or even once)...

Quote Originally Posted by Masaes727 View Post
    person I happen to be married to and who also happens to hate the D
    Let me tell you about the opposite of that so you can judge for yourself. My wife likes my car so much that she had me get one for her. Now I have two of them to keep on the road..

I'm not sayin' its better or worse, but I could post my to-do list for her car if you like.

My VIN:    1768

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by TTait View Post
    I wish someone would invent a "California Cat" with a panel that opens to let you slide the core in and out for smog tests.

I also wish I could get the car Dynoed as easily/often as you did (or even once)...

that is a good idea but no way it could be sold legally.

yes working for a race car fabrication shop with a chassis dyno had helped to get free access

My VIN:    1597

I have a gutted cat. Would there be any gain to running a straight pipe as opposed to having the exhaust going throught that larger area and bouncing around?
    "Owning a Delorean is like frying bacon naked."

My VIN:    03572

Quote Originally Posted by JIMJAM View Post
    I have a gutted cat. Would there be any gain to running a straight pipe as opposed to having the exhaust going throught that larger area and bouncing around?
    That's what most people recommend. I also have a gutted cat. Not sure if you would notice any improvement seat of the pants but maybe on a dyno.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    That's what most people recommend. I also have a gutted cat. Not sure if you would notice any improvement seat of the pants but maybe on a dyno.
    I was sure I felt a difference, first when I installed the gutted cat (which makes sense because I had been driving with a partially blocked on for some time I assume) - but I also was sure I felt the reduction in power when I installed a nos one later to pass emissions.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast