FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: New Clock Module - Looking for Testers

My VIN:    4665

My VIN:    4456 - Owner since March 2011

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Quote Originally Posted by Mario View Post

Yes! It looks great, maybe even a tiny bit brighter than stock. And since it is the stock display, there are no issues with the color. It looks exactly the same as the OEM clock.

The only cover I have is cracked, unfortunately, but you can see it shines through very well:

Oh... I see. It uses the stock display... Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't that, and not the control board, that normally fails?

Cheers
    Steven
    Cheers
    Steven Maguire

IT'S A TRAP!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by mluder View Post
    Oh... I see. It uses the stock display... Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't that, and not the control board, that normally fails?

Cheers
    Steven
    Not from what I've heard. The usual failures are that the clock keeps really bad time, doesn't keep time at all, or doesn't come on at all. These are almost always caused by bad capacitors or cracked solder joints.

The screens don't really fail unless the glass has been cracked. They'll get dimmer over time if they've been used a lot, though.

Admittedly, the PCBs can often be fixed. But I think this board offers enough that it would be worth it for some. That is also why I am making an LED version as well.
    Last edited by Mario; 12-19-2015 at 07:33 PM.

I have not yet found anybody to test these things how I'd like. I might have to loosen my requirements or just wait until summer, when people are driving more consistently.

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

Hi Mario,

I like this project, and I may eventually be interested in one. My clock is pristine, but the buttons don't change the time. I took it apart, and the buttons hit the PCB board, but nothing happens. I don't know if there is a simple fix for that.

Does your new PCB board use a stock connector (plug and play)?

Anticipated price?

Thanks!
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

My VIN:    03572

Quote Originally Posted by DMC-81 View Post
    Hi Mario,

I like this project, and I may eventually be interested in one. My clock is pristine, but the buttons don't change the time. I took it apart, and the buttons hit the PCB board, but nothing happens. I don't know if there is a simple fix for that.

Anticipated price?

Thanks!
    The hour button has be be held for 60 seconds to work.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Quote Originally Posted by DMC-81 View Post
    Hi Mario,

Anticipated price?

Thanks!
    Yes, it's completely plug-and-play! Just swap the green plastic cover and buttons over and plug it in. It uses the stock connector. Do you drive your car regularly? Would you like to test one?
    Honestly, not sure on the price yet. I try to sell things like this near cost, but since original displays are difficult to get, that drives up the price.
    I have also designed an LED version that uses 100% new parts and costs less. It functions identically to my VFD version, but uses a new LED display instead. The digits are green and slightly larger than stock. I actually have PCBs for it but have not yet assembled/programmed one.

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    The hour button has be be held for 60 seconds to work.
    Really? I have about 5 stock clocks that I've tested and I only need to hold down either button for a few seconds for the time to start changing. Is that how your clock behaves? Sounds like dirty contacts, maybe.

My VIN:    03572

Really? I have about 5 stock clocks that I've tested and I only need to hold down either button for a few seconds for the time to start changing. Is that how your clock behaves? Sounds like dirty contacts, maybe.
    It depends if you happen to hit it when the minuet rolls over. That's when my OEM clock would increment the hour.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

Yes, it's completely plug-and-play! Just swap the green plastic cover and buttons over and plug it in. It uses the stock connector. Do you drive your car regularly? Would you like to test one?
    Honestly, not sure on the price yet. I try to sell things like this near cost, but since original displays are difficult to get, that drives up the price.
    I have also designed an LED version that uses 100% new parts and costs less. It functions identically to my VFD version, but uses a new LED display instead. The digits are green and slightly larger than stock. I actually have PCBs for it but have not yet assembled/programmed one.
    Thanks for the additional information. I'll have to double check my clock and see if the contacts are dirty, or if its user error. I thought I had tried holding the buttons down for a few seconds, but not for a minute.

I'll check that and report back. Regardless, if all I have to do is change the cover/buttons, and not modify or send my clock away, I'm interested in testing one. I drive my car occasionally. PM me if you're OK with that.

Cheers,
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

My VIN:    01643

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    It depends if you happen to hit it when the minuet rolls over. That's when my OEM clock would increment the hour.
    I think your clock might be a little bit funky. My clock has always worked like any normal clock with a minute and hour adjustment button. One button increases the minutes, one increases the hour. If you push either, the number immediately changes. If you push and hold, after a second or two, the numbers begin to increase incrementally. On mine, the minute does not roll over the hour; it just goes back to :00 of the same hour.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but there is a tiny screw inside the clock that you can adjust to speed up or slow down the time right? I used to have a post saved where someone explained how to adjust the speed, but it was on the old .com site. I think that I lost that document in a hard drive crash a few years ago.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast