FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Replacing my windshield in or around Jacksonville

Replacing my windshield in or around Jacksonville

Hi,

does anyone have any recommendations as to where to go to get my windshield replaced in or around Jacksonville?

I am not in a hurry, I am just looking at doing it before March.

My VIN:    6125

I personally wouldn't trust anyone but a DMC vendor to replace the windshield in my car. The windshield is structural to the integrity of the roof so when it is removed you need to support the area below the T panel inside the car. The support needs to be in place before removing the glass, during the installation of the new glass, and afterwards for a period of time while the windshield urethane is curing.

Without supporting the roof during windshield replacement the roof will sag forward slightly and cause the doors to go out of alignment. The front of the doors will end up lower than normal and the rear of the doors will be up too high.

Checking google maps you are about 5 hours from DMCFL, but if it were me it would be well worth the trip to have someone do it who knows the proper procedure and has the jig to hold the roof in place while doing the work.

http://www.dmcflorida.com/service.htm

One of those purists you keep hearing about. sdg3205's Avatar

My VIN:    thirty two 'o five

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Replacing my windshield in or around Jacksonville

+1

It's an excuse for a Dmc road trip.

Plan on staying overnight as the adhesive needs time to cure.
    Dave

Here, somewhere.

My VIN:    1150

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by sdg3205 View Post
    +1

It's an excuse for a Dmc road trip.

Plan on staying overnight as the adhesive needs time to cure.
    And for overnight visits to DMC Florida there is a nice La Quinta Inn basically adjoining their back parking lot that you can easily walk to and from, and where they have kindly pre-arranged a DMC customer discount if you need a room ;-)

My VIN:    Former owner of 1098

Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    I personally wouldn't trust anyone but a DMC vendor to replace the windshield in my car. The windshield is structural to the integrity of the roof so when it is removed you need to support the area below the T panel inside the car. The support needs to be in place before removing the glass, during the installation of the new glass, and afterwards for a period of time while the windshield urethane is curing.

Without supporting the roof during windshield replacement the roof will sag forward slightly and cause the doors to go out of alignment. The front of the doors will end up lower than normal and the rear of the doors will be up too high.

Checking google maps you are about 5 hours from DMCFL, but if it were me it would be well worth the trip to have someone do it who knows the proper procedure and has the jig to hold the roof in place while doing the work.

http://www.dmcflorida.com/service.htm
    +1. Supporting the roof structure is very important during windshield replacement on our cars. Definitely go with a vendor on this. Best part about it, your FL insurance should cover windshield replacements 100%!
    Brandon S.

2014 Honda Civic EX
    2007 Volvo S60R

Thank you all, I was hoping to avoid a long drive but it seems like it's the way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Morpheus View Post
    +1. Supporting the roof structure is very important during windshield replacement on our cars. Definitely go with a vendor on this. Best part about it, your FL insurance should cover windshield replacements 100%!
    My windshield is fine but I think I need it re-sealed or something, small droplets (rain/wash) gets in one area sometimes. I'm guessing insurance wouldn't cover that repair.. I'd also like the black piece repainted although maybe that is something I could just have left off and trim spray it myself.

My VIN:    Former owner of 1098

Quote Originally Posted by 16949 View Post
    My windshield is fine but I think I need it re-sealed or something, small droplets (rain/wash) gets in one area sometimes. I'm guessing insurance wouldn't cover that repair.. I'd also like the black piece repainted although maybe that is something I could just have left off and trim spray it myself.
    On my previous car, I had the black trim strips powder coated and they turned out great. I suppose you could take them off and spray them yourself too. That would be a great way to try and find where the leak is coming from--spraying some water around the seal with the trim removed.

Honestly, you may be able to seal the leak yourself as well. Just get some RTV sealant from the Auto Parts store.
    Brandon S.

2014 Honda Civic EX
    2007 Volvo S60R

Quote Originally Posted by Morpheus View Post
    On my previous car, I had the black trim strips powder coated and they turned out great. I suppose you could take them off and spray them yourself too. That would be a great way to try and find where the leak is coming from--spraying some water around the seal with the trim removed.

Honestly, you may be able to seal the leak yourself as well. Just get some RTV sealant from the Auto Parts store.
    Powder coating is definitely the better way to go, and do all the black pieces. I just don't like the idea of being at the mercy of the powder coat guys to get my parts back.
    You're right, once the piece is off, it may not be a big thing, I may be able to DIY on the leak area. It only does it in heavy storms a certain way, so it's minor.

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by 16949 View Post
    . I just don't like the idea of being at the mercy of the powder coat guys to get my parts back.
    One note on powdercoating - if the people doing it are idiots (i.e. in a hurry) they can overheat and warp the parts. Normally this isn't a problem but I've heard of it a time or two from people having to re-buy the parts.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast