FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: What is the Best PRV engine combination ?

My VIN:    06357

Question What is the Best PRV engine combination ?

I would like to know to know which combination of engine parts in stock form would givve the more power and still be reliable.

I just heard so many different things ???

Anything from a:
    3.0L eagle Premier
    B28E or F
    B280 from a volvo
    B27 ?

Base, cranckshaft ?
    cylinder
    head
    piston
    cams
    injection type ?

etc...

My VIN:    04194: 5-Speed, Black Int, 79 Peugeot 604 Manifold, 05052: 5-Speed, Gray Int, 78 Peugeot 604 manifol

The Renault Alpine A310 Pack GT used a modified 2.9 PRV with triple two barrel weweb carbs. The result was 193 HP.

Also the Talbot Tagora SX used a 2.6 PRV with dual three barrel weber carbs and produced 166 HP.

From what I recall , there were only 27 Apline Pack GT's ever built. While there were approximately 1,000 Tagora Sx's built, finding one in 2015 would be quite a challenge.

Not a DeLorean Guru

My VIN:    01049

Any gains you would get from this sort of thing would be small, and worth neither the effort, nor the money.
    -Mike

My engine twists my frame.

1981 DeLorean, Carb LS4 swap completed
    1999 Corvette, cam/headers/intake manifold, 400 rwhp
    2005 Elise, stock
    2016 Chevy Cruze

My VIN:    6585

Quote Originally Posted by opethmike View Post
    Any gains you would get from this sort of thing would be small, and worth neither the effort, nor the money.
    Painful as it sounds, that is the absolute truth. As it was told to me many years prior when I started inquiring about the same thing, the answer I got was that if there was a cheap and easy way to extract more power with a combination of parts from other PRV engines, we'd all have those bits installed already.

While the PRV is indeed a modular engine, many of the key modular parts vary greatly from iteration to iteration. Example: When you're looking at those higher power numbers for Carbureted and Electronically Injected engines, a sizable part of that is due to their cylinder heads with larger intake ports because of the absence or relocation of the fuel injector bosses. And the list goes on with other parts.

Mechanically speaking the easiest thing would be an Alpine A310 top end with a performance manifold, cams, and carb. But that is NOT cheap nor easy to track down all the cores you'd need to exchange not just for those parts, but for the other ones to adapt them to your engine.

Your best bet is either DMCH or DPI if you want increased PRV performance.
    Robert

People they come together, people they fall apart...

Not a DeLorean Guru

My VIN:    01049

I suppose we should ask OP what the goal for the engine is?
    -Mike

My engine twists my frame.

1981 DeLorean, Carb LS4 swap completed
    1999 Corvette, cam/headers/intake manifold, 400 rwhp
    2005 Elise, stock
    2016 Chevy Cruze

Reliability and a little more performance.

Without spending 10K on complete new system.

Just parts that you can swap that would make it the best prv.

President, DeLorean Industries

My VIN:    5646,5080, 5880, 10234, 3639, 2518, 10586, 1538

Just drop in a 3.0 with a set of headers/efi and call it a day. Best you can get without spending on advanced development components within that price range.

Club(s):   (DCF)

3.0L eagle motor with Euro B280E camshafts, EFI, head studs and a good centrifugal supercharger, headers, 8psi and call it a day.

The absolute best PRV setup would be take the block and send it to Golden Eagle or Benson to have it sleeved with ductile iron sleeves. You could go over bore and make a 3.2L if you wanted I'm sure. This was my plan before I went with the 2JZ engine in my car.

https://www.goldeneaglemfg.com/index...page=page&id=1
    http://www.bensonsmachine.com/benson-sleeves.html

Crower should still have the specs on the rods I had made years ago and CP made my 3.0L pistons. This was way back in 2005 but I'm sure they keep records, just give them a call. I would have the heads ported with the focus around the bowls/valves and open up the exhaust ports to match the gasket. B280E or custom cams and always add boost to a PRV, they will always be dogs without it. I would love to build one of these,with someone else money of course!!

The plan is only to have the best engine I could get

I know there are some difference beween the engine in the Delorean, The Volvos 760,262,264 and even the Peugeot 505 PRV.

I was looking at the best compnent that would it between each other.

B28
    B280E
    B280F

My VIN:    02613

Club(s):   (DCF)

The B280 engine had provision for an oil cooler, and main bearings #2 and #3 were cross-bolted. But unless you plan to go forced induction, the Eagle/Dodge 3.0L swap will probably suit you just fine.
    Last edited by Farrar; 02-16-2016 at 08:48 PM. Reason: probably
    3.0L, automatic, carbureted

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast