FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: What is the Best PRV engine combination ?

My VIN:    01643

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by content22207_2 View Post
    I am negotiating buying my church's bus as a backup. That thing has a diesel engine that is bigger than my gas burner but only puts out 170 HP -- what a dog.

Bill Robertson
    Why stop there? Why not go with one of those steam engines. Sure they may make only a dozen or so HP, but who cares because they make huge amounts of torque, which is all that matters right?

I don't want torque, I want horsepower -- the more the better.

A 250 HP engine is numerically more powerful than a 220 Hp or 170 HP engine -- the numbers prove it.

Why wouldn't I use the engine with the highest horsepower rating? It's just like a penthouse apartment -- apartment on the 100th floor will have better views than an apartment on the 75th or 50th floor.

Unless motorcycle manufacturers are lying, their little aluminum engines produce more horsepower than Ford's hulking cast iron monsters.

And horsepower obviously equals performance -- the more the better.

That's why everybody else chases after the highest HP numbers advertised. I'm just late to the party.

Bill Robertson
    Last edited by content22207_2; 07-12-2016 at 08:31 AM.

My VIN:    03572

A dollar is a dollar. Doesn't matter whether it's 100 pennies or a single dollar bill -- both have the same purchasing power.

Ipso facto, horsepower is horsepower. Doesn't matter if its a big cast iron V8 or a little aluminum 4 cylinder: 250 HP *MUST* be more powerful than 220 HP -- 30 horses more powerful to be precise. Numbers don't lie....

Bus is in service this week, but perhaps over the weekend I can bolt up a little motorcycle engine.

Wonder if I should snatch out the 60 gallon gas tank and install a 4 gallon motorcycle gas tank while I'm at it?

World's first 1.5 liter school bus with 4 gallon gas tank -- I am going to be the envy of every school system in the country.

Bill Robertson
    So you think the 200 mile range with 4 gallons of that motorcycle will be the same in the buss?
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

You do realize I am joking? As Farrar first pointed out, horsepower is not an objective number, comparable vehicle to vehicle, even though the general public assumes it is and treats it that way.

Numbers do lie: a 170 HP diesel is much more powerful than a 220 HP gasoline engine even when they are the same displacement (both buses are 6.9 liter -- vastly different blocks of course).

Horsepower is not horsepower -- certainly not comparing one engine to another.

Bill Robertson
    Last edited by content22207_2; 07-12-2016 at 09:04 AM.

My VIN:    01643

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

You do realize I am joking? As Farrar first pointed out, horsepower is not an objective number, comparable vehicle to vehicle, even though the general public assumes it is and treats it that way.

Numbers do lie: a 170 HP diesel is much more powerful than a 220 HP gasoline engine even when they are the same displacement (both buses are 6.9 liter -- vastly different blocks of course).

Horsepower is not horsepower -- certainly not comparing one engine to another.

Bill Robertson
    I'd be careful with your wording. To say a 170hp diesel is more powerful than a 220HP gasoline engine truly is incorrect, simply based on how you've worded it. At it's base, horsepower is a measure of power just like kilowatts. If the power rating of one device is higher than another, it truly is more powerful.

If you say it can produce more torque, then you would be correct (though you haven't actually posted the amount of torque each produces so one cannot yet be sure.

My VIN:    02613

Club(s):   (DCF)

Perhaps it's time for a shift in the conversation. How do we define "best PRV?"

For me, "best" would be:
    - powerful enough to accelerate the car safely (i.e. to accelerate onto an interstate highway using a short entrance ramp/lane),
    - easy to maintain, and
    - reliable.

Fortunately, the PRV is a sturdy little engine in almost every incarnation. The only flaw I've found is the tendency for block rot.
    3.0L, automatic, carbureted

President, DeLorean Industries

My VIN:    5646,5080, 5880, 10234, 3639, 2518, 10586, 1538

Best prv is easy. Dpi spec 2 legend twin turbo. Current consumer format is rated at 465 torque 318 hp at 15psi. Perfect balance between raw power and not testing the rest of the chassis apart.

image.jpegimage.jpeg
    www.deloreanindustries.com Every Detail Matters

One of those purists you keep hearing about. sdg3205's Avatar

My VIN:    thirty two 'o five

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Quote Originally Posted by DPI JOSH View Post
    Best prv is easy. Dpi spec 2 legend twin turbo. Current consumer format is rated at 465 torque 318 hp at 15psi. Perfect balance between raw power and not testing the rest of the chassis apart.

image.jpegimage.jpeg
    Jesus Murphy. So much want.
    Dave

Here, somewhere.

My VIN:    5482

Quote Originally Posted by DPI JOSH View Post

image.jpegimage.jpeg
    Is that your car Josh? My PRV pants just got excited.
    Jeff

President, DeLorean Industries

My VIN:    5646,5080, 5880, 10234, 3639, 2518, 10586, 1538

No Joshua Schwartz's car. Its currently coming back for intercooler system updates and a stainless chassis. I'll let Darren Decker post pictures of 5000 when he receives it of the current spec and updated appearance items. The one pictured is a gen II from above and gen I from below. The system now has a merged X pipe with dual converters standard.
    www.deloreanindustries.com Every Detail Matters

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4