FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Replacing radio / stereo with touch screen or simple deck?

My VIN:    10515

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Replacing radio / stereo with touch screen or simple deck?

I want to replace the factory stereo with something newer, and want some feedback from long-time owners.

My first thought is to get a single-DIN touch screen deck, so I can (sooner or later) install a backup camera. Something like this - Jensen VX3012 single DIN receiver with 7-Inch touch screen, bluetooth and USB

My second thought is, do I really need a backup camera?

OR, should I just go with something simple like this - Pioneer MVHX560BT digital media receiver.

Thanks!
    Dave

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Quote Originally Posted by dtavres View Post
    I want to replace the factory stereo with something newer, and want some feedback from long-time owners.

My first thought is to get a single-DIN touch screen deck, so I can (sooner or later) install a backup camera. Something like this - Jensen VX3012 single DIN receiver with 7-Inch touch screen, bluetooth and USB

My second thought is, do I really need a backup camera?

OR, should I just go with something simple like this - Pioneer MVHX560BT digital media receiver.

Thanks!
    Dave
    With so many choices it comes down to personal preferences, how often you will be using the car, and what your budget is. If you are improving the radio you must also consider upgrading the speakers and the wiring. You can always add a back-up camera with a rear-view mirror so it doesn't have to be in the radio.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    10515

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    You can always add a back-up camera with a rear-view mirror so it doesn't have to be in the radio.
    Ahh... good thought. I forgot about the mirror displays now.

I don't need GPS, as I'll likely end up just using my phone anyway... and I don't have any interest in play DVDs in the car. So, now I'll research the rear-view mirror with video.

Thanks!

My VIN:    03238 Grey & Black Hybrid - Auto - work in progress Former owner 10902 - Universal 93 Raffle Car

Lots to consider here. The unit you first picked out will block the center AC vents. Some units have fixed screens that come down and partially block the headlight switch. Search for Single din touchscreen and you will get a lot of hits.

The backup camera is nice, but visible outside the car. I mounted one to the license plate that was somewhat unobtrusive.

An option to a backup camera is a no holes backup sensor, its a piece of metalic tape that attaches to the inside of the fascia, and wires in to a small box - see my review here: http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?10...Back-Up-Sensor - Similar products are on ebay for about $17. The installation is totally invisible, and it works surprisingly well.

The problems I had with back up camera mirror displays is that they are either rather heavy, or dim, or both. A dim unit is only usable at night, as the reflection in the rear view mirror is much brighter than the backlight in the display hidden behind it. With a very bright unit you may find it too bright at night, and too heavy for the OEM mirror mounting. I finally found one for the last car that was usable, but not great.

The advantage to the radio is you can add GPS etc depending on the model.

T

I mentioned my stereo several time before.

JVC, single deck, full touch screen...avx77

http://www.amazon.de/JVC-Video-Syste.../dp/B001V7QKK0

They were pretty cheap last time I checked the prices, I paid >500 back then.

YESS would buy it again !
    And I would not consider such a mirror solution.

My VIN:    10322

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

I looked into something similar for my daily driver car. The main problem with the screens that rollout and flip up like that first radio are very weak at the hinge. Also you might want to check to see if the screen is a touchscreen or push screen. The difference being that touchscreens won't work if you use something other than a finger or touchscreen stylus. Think like your smartphone. You want these types of touchscreens because a push screen that accepts any kind of touch as long as you apply force mean some jabs won't register (imagine that while driving) and you'll need to push harder against a screen that's on a plastic hinge.

I didn't end up getting it for my daily car after I tested one of the radios at Best Buy and it really bent backwards and felt very flimsy. For my DeLorean I settled for a Bluetooth cassette tape and a smartphone holder that grips the vents. But if you're definitely getting the radio replaced pick one with the fewest moving parts.