FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Engine Turning but not Starting

My VIN:    03572

Leave the CSV unplugged. I found my car starts better with the CSV not active. But I have seen a thermal time switch fail that caused the CSV to always fire.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Check to see if there is anything plugged into the hot start relay plug by the fuseblock. If there is, remove it.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    16113

Club(s):   (SCDC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    Check to see if there is anything plugged into the hot start relay plug by the fuseblock. If there is, remove it.
    David Teitelbaum
    I assume this is the same as the "Start Inhibit" as described in the workshop manual (#28 on page M:07:01). Yes that relay is in the socket. What happens if I unplug it and should I then replug the cold start valve?

Quote Originally Posted by lazabby View Post
    I assume this is the same as the "Start Inhibit" as described in the workshop manual (#28 on page M:07:01). Yes that relay is in the socket. What happens if I unplug it and should I then replug the cold start valve?
    No. The hot start relay in a white relay socket at the back of the relay compartment wired into the harness.
    Dave M vin 03572

It appears that my CSV or thermotime switch is bad. How do I test to see which one is bad?

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by lazabby View Post
    It appears that my CSV or thermotime switch is bad. How do I test to see which one is bad?
    With the car cold put a test light across the pins of the CSV. If the light goes on while cranking, the TTS is good. If the light does not come on, the TTS is bad, OR it's too warm, OR the connection from the starter to that circuit (blue wire on the starter) is dirty. The blue wire connection is a double hit - it is also the coil resistor bypass feed, and if it's dirty enough not to fire the CSV you are also getting a bad spark.

Careful - in hot weather (like you are having in Texas now) it my not be "cold" enough to engage the TTS, even after overnight, it if the garage temperature is warm.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

Still having problems with the car not wanting to start. Can't quite figure it out. Once it start it runs like a champ. Very little hunting. Idles smooth. I replaced the thermotime switch thinking that was it but it still won't start at the first turn of the key. Generally have to crank the car for 20 seconds before it kicks in.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

You have a problem in the CSV circuit. See if it is active during cold start cranking. If it is not you will have to go through the wiring and find the problem. Start at the starter and follow the wiring up to the TT switch and then to the CSV.
    David Teitelbaum

You check you CSV by disconnecting the coil wire (at the resistor block), remove the CSV and put it in a jar. Then crank the engine over on a cold day. Crank it for about 5 seconds and you should see gas in that jar.
    Dave M vin 03572

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    You have a problem in the CSV circuit. See if it is active during cold start cranking. If it is not you will have to go through the wiring and find the problem. Start at the starter and follow the wiring up to the TT switch and then to the CSV.
    David Teitelbaum
    I forgot to add that I unplugges the CSV and I'm still having a problem with the hard start. I will add one thing but I don't think this has anything to do with it. A couple of months ago when this first started, a fellow Delorean owner felt it was bad gas. He said to add a bottle of Seafoam (in case there was water), a can of Chevron's Techoline (fuel injector cleaner) and put in premium gas. I'm still running on that same tank of gas with the mixture as I haven't used it all up. I don't think that's the issue since it seems to run fine once started.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2