FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Is driving a DeLorean cross country a bad idea?

Question Is driving a DeLorean cross country a bad idea?

I am a new owner and I've heard the tales that these cars are finicky and have lots of little problems. We're talking about Driving 2,500 miles from Montana to Florida.
    I am Looking to buy a D.

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

I am assuming you just bought a car and are planning on getting it home.

You are going to hear stories of success and failure from others who have done the same thing. The successful journeys will be quick to chime in, the unsuccessful ones will be giving you words of caution. I don't care what the personal history is of each DeLorean owner is.... Driving ANY car that you have not had checked out or personally inspected across the country is a bad idea...especially a 30 yr old used car that was quirky at it's best.

That doesn't mean you are guaranteed failure, just that you are rolling the dice. I rolled the dice with a 1,000 mile journey and did ok but I took precautions(and bought a almost new refurb). Has you car been driven daily or has it sat for 5 years? Have you inspected it or had someone else look it over? Would it be just as easy to rent a trailer or pay to have it shipped?

If you do plan on driving it, do a search for essentials to take, like fuses, jumpers, alt. belt, what kind of tools. I keep a spare RPM relay in my box as well as a all in one roadside emergency kit w/tools. Not that I have ever needed it, just nice to have especially on trips. In 6 years I have had to have 2 tows, one over a flywheel bolt backing out and the other an alternator belt broke and I didn't want to fix it on the side of the road (free towing with my insurance so why not?)
    This is really just common sense here, use some and you will be fine.

Welcome
    Last edited by Michael; 12-21-2015 at 10:39 PM.
    http://dmctalk.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=90&dateline=161808992  9

One of those purists you keep hearing about. sdg3205's Avatar

My VIN:    thirty two 'o five

Club(s):   (PNDC)

I also have a 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee with 210k miles and a 1991 Miata with 175k miles. I trust them about as much as my Delorean. Age and mileage will always be factors. Hell, I had a 1 year old oil filter with less than 1500 miles on it blow up last week so anything is possible.

It's a gamble, but plan carefully, roll the dice and take a chance. I would.
    Dave

Here, somewhere.

My VIN:    2347

You never know until you try!
    Everyone is tough through a keyboard

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

I'd say not a bad idea if you know the service history. We have them leave here on cross-country trips all the time.

BUT on one you are just picking up, with no history of what's been done other than what the seller tells you verbally? I'd be really cautious unless you have lots of time and very good AAA plan.

A few sample questions - how old are the tires/belts/hoses/brake fluid? When was the last major (tune-up)? When was the last time it was driven more than 50 miles on one start?

Also - being form Florida - have you ever driven in the northern part of the country in the winter time?
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

My VIN:    16793

Club(s):   (DMA) (LINY-DMC) (DCUK)

Made 2 trips to Florida and back to NY two consecutive winters. Purred like a kitten An absolute blast - engine loved a steady 75mph. It was a DMCMW car when I bought it, PJGrady maintained, so felt confident
    DeLorean VIN 16793 - 1983
    Loving my power steering!

My VIN:    6472

Quote Originally Posted by sdg3205 View Post
    Hell, I had a 1 year old oil filter with less than 1500 miles on it blow up last week so anything is possible
    Just curious, how did this happen?

Location:  Burnsville MN-Moving to Kalispell MT. in June 20111

My VIN:    2691

What part of Montana?

Quote Originally Posted by Gregadeth View Post
    Just curious, how did this happen?

Its in another thread. Pin-hole damage, probably stone, lost 2 litres before noticing it.
    I loves my grooves!

Drove mine 3500 miles after getting it.
    I'd driven it locally & had it MOT'd (Road safety test).
    My reckoning is..... If it can do 50 miles it can do 5000!!
    Go for it.
    I loves my grooves!

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast