FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: Is driving a DeLorean cross country a bad idea?

I'm sorry to disappoint, but I put it on a trailer. I was 2 inches away from driving it cross country but Trevor from Hoven Transportation called today and said he'd do it for $1,100, which is a really good price. Let's hope it makes it safely to New Orleans so I can write him a good review.

IMG_1333.jpg
    I am Looking to buy a D.

Quote Originally Posted by Dangermouse View Post
    I think it would be a fantastic idea, but only if you post your progress on here
    I still plan to drive her cross country, but I need to get to know the car first, which is why I'm doing a test run from NOLA to Tampa on the 10th of Jan. And I will post my progress.
    I am Looking to buy a D.

You chicken McFly?

Good luck mate.
    I loves my grooves!

My VIN:    3937

Quote Originally Posted by Time Machine View Post
    I'm sorry to disappoint, but I put it on a trailer. I was 2 inches away from driving it cross country but Trevor from Hoven Transportation called today and said he'd do it for $1,100, which is a really good price. Let's hope it makes it safely to New Orleans so I can write him a good review.

IMG_1333.jpg
    No one here is disappointed. You've got the only opinion that matters and the only one that gets a vote. If you feel this was best overall, then it was. (I agree with your decision though).

Quote Originally Posted by Time Machine View Post
    I still plan to drive her cross country, but I need to get to know the car first, which is why I'm doing a test run from NOLA to Tampa on the 10th of Jan. And I will post my progress.
    Sounds like a great idea! Will be looking forward to hearing about your first impressions of the car and how your "education" on it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by 88KPH View Post
    You chicken McFly?

Good luck mate.
    Why don't you make like a tree...

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

My VIN:    16867

Quote Originally Posted by SamHill View Post
    What constitutes a good Delorean owner?
    Actually, Sam, it is one who drives his car!

Dick Ryan, The Rad Dad
    vin16867 with over 160,000 miles on it. And, it has gone "coast to coast" several times.

Mine's gone coast to coast a couple of times aswell.
    Devon, the only county in England with two coast lines!!

About 100 miles apart!
    I loves my grooves!

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    Why don't you make like a tree...

I'm outta here!
    I loves my grooves!

My VIN:    Between VINs

Given the snow that has blown through the upper Midwest (8" here today) that is probably the best course of action. I've noticed a ton of D's not sell on eBay recently, winter must be a buyers market. I was really impressed with 4467 which went unsold yesterday with a BIN at $33K, but I'm just not in the position to buy for a bit longer. And I want to go to DCS first and see some things for myself before I commit to a car.

Congrats again, looking forward to hearing about it when it turns up.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Quote Originally Posted by dodint View Post
    Given the snow that has blown through the upper Midwest (8" here today) that is probably the best course of action. I've noticed a ton of D's not sell on eBay recently, winter must be a buyers market. I was really impressed with 4467 which went unsold yesterday with a BIN at $33K, but I'm just not in the position to buy for a bit longer. And I want to go to DCS first and see some things for myself before I commit to a car.

Congrats again, looking forward to hearing about it when it turns up.
    Yes, on a long trip you always have to be concerned that the weather will go bad, just another good reason to plan on trailering the car. Bad enough driving an unfamiliar car, you really don't want to do that in the snow too!
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    3294

Dilemma here...

I bought 3294 back in November of 2014, and have done extensive repairs and replacements to it. Did the whole replace every belt, hose, clamp, etc. Did the "replace the fuel pump, fuel lines, fuel filter, accumulator, etc." We've replaced the water pump, radiator, tune up kit, (plugs, wires, distributor rotor and cap), coolant reservoir, auto bleeders on front and rear, new master cylinder, new brake calipers, pads, etc, new tires all the way around, and will finish up with the new R134a air conditioning system tonight. There are a couple of things that I want done at a Delorean service center like getting rid of the only small dent on the whole entire car, and fixing my drivers side door so that it actually shuts all the way (inner door seal gasket issue).

I live in middle Tennessee (Nashville area) and have driven it mostly to car shows and once or twice on 80-90 mile round trips. Nothing beyond that. My wife and I will be celebrating our 19 year wedding anniversary coming up in September, and she's always wanted to go to Chicago. Seriously considering driving the Delorean to DMC Midwest, dropping it off for a day or so to get the kinks worked out, and renting a car while we're there to explore Chicago. I also have the option of renting a trailer and towing the car up there behind my truck, dropping the trailer at a Uhaul dealer in the area and one of us drive the truck home while the other drives the Delorean home.

Opinions??
    Last edited by bfloyd; 08-16-2016 at 12:32 PM.
    Barry Floyd
    Lebanon, Tennessee
    VIN 3294 - Aug. 81

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast