FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Drove in the rain today

My VIN:    07000

Drove in the rain today

I've always been a bit apprehensive about taking my DeLorean out into the rain- or even getting it wet, not knowing what leaks there might be, as well as the fact the engine is only covered by the louvres. So getting the distributor wet has been a concern, more when driving then just giving it a wash in the driveway.

So today it's been raining. And we only have this, my 2013 TDI Beetle, an Element and my daughter's car, and there's 4 of us driving. Normally we have my son's car, a 1970 Camaro, but that's getting body panels aligned and some other needed project car upgrades. So DeLorean time it was.

And it was very uneventful coming to work in the rain.

No noticeable leaks.

No sputtering engine.

No fishtailing on our twisty road due to the heavier engine in back.

It was pleasant all the way to work for a half hour in a constant, nice, rain.

This is a really great car and I love driving it.

My VIN:    2743

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCH) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

Waits for mocking posts from North East owners about california "rain"
    Dermot
    VIN 2743, B/A, Frame 2227, engine 2320

I don't always drive cars, but when I do, I prefer DeLoreans

http://www.will-to-live.org

No-one is to stone anyone, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say "carburetor"

Quote Originally Posted by Dangermouse View Post
    Waits for mocking posts from North East owners about california "rain"
    Bring it on.
    Sure, we don't get rain at times like they do back there, but when we do get some it's very nice.
    Unless it's the edge of a hurricane with 100 mph winds (which is not normal) with lots of hail.
    Or thanks to one past El NiƱo, we had a straight month of rain which filled our reservoirs and lakes, washed out our dirt road (not a biggie) and our creek became a small river.

It was AWESOME.

But it's San Diego - best place to live on Earth.

My VIN:    6472

I'd think the distributor is pretty well protected. First you got the louvers, which if you look at them directly from above completely covers the engine bay (maybe aside from the lowest section which has the vents). And underneath that you have the lower engine cover with the large opaque area (the section without the vents) over the middle section where the distributor is.

With that said, I wonder what part(s) of the engine compartment DO get wet when driven under hard rain - if any.

My VIN:    01643

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Gregadeth View Post
    I'd think the distributor is pretty well protected. First you got the louvers, which if you look at them directly from above completely covers the engine bay (maybe aside from the lowest section which has the vents). And underneath that you have the lower engine cover with the large opaque area (the section without the vents) over the middle section where the distributor is.

With that said, I wonder what part(s) of the engine compartment DO get wet when driven under hard rain - if any.
    He doesn't have the stock PRV engine. He has a Chevy 350 engine, hence only having the protection from the louvers (no lower engine cover).

Glad to hear it was so good! I always say that my MPG goes up when it rains because if I give the car any reasonable amount of gas it will break the tires free. I'm betting you have the same thing

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas R View Post
    He doesn't have the stock PRV engine. He has a Chevy 350 engine, hence only having the protection from the louvers (no lower engine cover).

Glad to hear it was so good! I always say that my MPG goes up when it rains because if I give the car any reasonable amount of gas it will break the tires free. I'm betting you have the same thing
    Yep! Fantastic MPG. I had 1985 Corvette 6 speed with overdrive that I loved, and it would break free at any intersection when barely given any pedal.

And like Nick said, no lower engine cover - though I'm trying to get one which I plan on modding from another member but no response. I'd essentially have to cut it down so it covers the distributor as the air cleaner pops way up and comes within an inch of the louvers.

I did check the engine bay later while it was still raining out, and it looked actually quite dry, that is until I lifted the louvres to put a plastic target bag over the distributor while it's parked - and water got all over.. though hopefully not a lot and not in the distributor.

The nice thing is when I'm driving, all the heat from the engine basically vaporizes any water.

My VIN:    6585

Quote Originally Posted by Timebender View Post
    The nice thing is when I'm driving, all the heat from the engine basically vaporizes any water.
    It will. But if you drive through a deep enough puddle at a good speed to splash water all over the engine and exhaust, it can steam up the entire engine compartment and rear glass so you can't see. That rear window defroster comes in VERY handy to clear the glass quickly.
    Robert

People they come together, people they fall apart...

That's good to know

My VIN:    3937

Quote Originally Posted by Timebender View Post
    ISo today it's been raining.

It was pleasant all the way to work for a half hour in a constant, nice, rain.

This is a really great car and I love driving it.
    Nice story. Glad you're enjoying it.

It's been raining here for most of the past two weeks or so. Better than the alternative I suppose. This was me at the end of my driveway at my old place a couple of winters ago! Hello climate change!

IMG_7468.jpg

Merry Christmas!

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

And that's why I love San Diego. If we want snow, it's only a 40 minute drive to the local mountains, or two hours to Big Bear for lots of snow and winter sports.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast