FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Drove in the rain today

My VIN:    3937

Quote Originally Posted by Timebender View Post
    And that's why I love San Diego. If we want snow, it's only a 40 minute drive to the local mountains, or two hours to Big Bear for lots of snow and winter sports.
    Yea, no argument there. 70 degrees everyday of the year from what I understand. Hard to beat that. Akin to many Mediterranean locations too I would think?

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

My VIN:    07000

Well, not every day of the year.. Last week we were in the high 50's and low 60's during the day, with temps down to 32 at night in East County (where I live). This week we're in the mid-50's. During the end of Summer and into September we had temps of about 100 and 50 to 75% humidity. But that only lasts a couple months (and can be expensive for electricity).

My VIN:    5778

Club(s):   (DCO) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas R View Post
    He doesn't have the stock PRV engine. He has a Chevy 350 engine, hence only having the protection from the louvers (no lower engine cover).

Glad to hear it was so good! I always say that my MPG goes up when it rains because if I give the car any reasonable amount of gas it will break the tires free. I'm betting you have the same thing
    Stupid question. Is the engine height block some of your rear view vision? How high does the Chevy or the LS1 engine sit compared to the PRV? I can look in pictures but still. I was thinking about going from a Stage 1 to a 2 or 3? Why did you go swap the engine vs. Stage 1, 2 or 3? Not to change the subject but I assume that it puts out over 280hp so did you have to redo the trans? As how it can crap out at 280hp per DMCL documentation.

Any knowledge or perspective would be most appreciated.

Thank you!

--Doug
    Last edited by aotmfilms; 12-23-2015 at 02:21 PM. Reason: clarity
    FB Page: #ProjectDelorean https://www.facebook.com/ProjectDelorean88mph
    Twitter: @projdelorean

"Back Before the Future"--the story before the story of a crazy dude trying to timetravel...kindof like expedia...only bumpier...

My VIN:    3937

Quote Originally Posted by aotmfilms View Post
    Stupid question. Is the engine height block some of your rear view vision? How high does the Chevy or the LS1 engine sit compared to the PRV? I can look in pictures but still. I was thinking about going from a Stage 1 to a 2 or 3? Why did you go swap the engine vs. Stage 1, 2 or 3? Not to change the subject but I assume that it puts out over 280hp so did you have to redo the trans? As how it can crap out at 280hp per DMCL documentation.

--Doug
    Not sure about this particular engine swap, but you could test it out yourself on your own car just to eye ball it by placing a shoebox, some pieces of wood or anything else you wanted on top of a closed lower engine cover to then look from the driver's seat and figure out at what point you start to lose vision. Same idea about where to mount a 3rd brake light on the louvres, just that's the top instead of the bottom. Inexpensive way to find out anyway.

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

My VIN:    3305

My very first trip outside the block with the Delorean I did it in hard rain, about 1 and a half year ago! I was with a girl and I wanted to surprise her, so I took the car just the day after it had been registered! MAN The rain was heavy!

The windows were constantly getting foggish, rain would come inside the car, one of the position lights was broken, I had to wait 2 hours until the engine could fire up again but hey... it was a blast of a night!!

My VIN:    01643

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by aotmfilms View Post

Any knowledge or perspective would be most appreciated.

Thank you!

--Doug
    I'm not sure who you're asking but I can answer for my half (LS1). Timbender will have to answer for the Chevy 350.

In my case the engine is not any taller (I think it's actually shorter overall). The intake piping runs on top of the intake (shown in my signature) and there is enough room for me to retain the lower engine cover (like normal). I did the engine swap because I wanted a minimum of 300hp at the wheels, no exceptions. Nothing close was offered at the time (2011), certainly not for the price I wanted. I was in no way attached to the original PRV so an engine swap made sense to me. I ran with an upgraded input shaft coupler for a while, but after installing a new cam and heads, the output was pushed to 425whp. After that I installed my own custom transmission input shaft. If you want any other specifics, just PM me since I don't want to take Timebender's thread.

My VIN:    5482

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    Nice story. Glad you're enjoying it.

It's been raining here for most of the past two weeks or so. Better than the alternative I suppose. This was me at the end of my driveway at my old place a couple of winters ago! Hello climate change!

Attachment 38777

Merry Christmas!
    From what I hear, the bizarre weather this season/year is due to El Nino rather than climate change.
    Jeff

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

One of the bigger problems is that since these cars are rarely driven in the rain no one ever replaces the wiper blades. On the rare occasion you actually need them they streak and blur your vision. On the west coast, since it doesn't rain often, the roads have a coating of oil and when it first rains it can become VERY slippery till the oil gets washed away. Then, after a while of heavy rain, you guys get the mudslides. In some areas along the coast the fog gets very thick and they have BIG multiple car crashes. Each area of the country has it's own weather to contend with. In my area, the Northeast, most of us won't drive in the winter because of the snow, ice, and all of the salt they use because of that. The Delorean is well behaved in the rain BUT. If you drive it aggressively you won't get much warning before you break the rear loose and once you do it will swap ends so fast (and because you have such a large turning radius) you will not be able to control it in time. Bottom line, when it rains you must slow down and make any steering corrections small and slow.
    David Teitelbaum

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas R View Post
    I'm not sure who you're asking but I can answer for my half (LS1). Timbender will have to answer for the Chevy 350.

In my case the engine is not any taller (I think it's actually shorter overall). The intake piping runs on top of the intake (shown in my signature) and there is enough room for me to retain the lower engine cover (like normal). I did the engine swap because I wanted a minimum of 300hp at the wheels, no exceptions. Nothing close was offered at the time (2011), certainly not for the price I wanted. I was in no way attached to the original PRV so an engine swap made sense to me. I ran with an upgraded input shaft coupler for a while, but after installing a new cam and heads, the output was pushed to 425whp. After that I installed my own custom transmission input shaft. If you want any other specifics, just PM me since I don't want to take Timebender's thread.
    My view really isn't blocked- except a little in the middle from the air cleaner/intake. Otherwise those brights from cars behind me are just as annoying...

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    The Delorean is well behaved in the rain BUT. If you drive it aggressively you won't get much warning before you break the rear loose and once you do it will swap ends so fast (and because you have such a large turning radius) you will not be able to control it in time. Bottom line, when it rains you must slow down and make any steering corrections small and slow.
    Yes, I take it slow and easy with intentional turns - and sure other drivers behind me probably don't appreciate my caution, but on a dry day I know I can blow their doors off...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast