FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Steering wheel replacement.

My VIN:    3299

Lightbulb Steering wheel replacement.

Ok guys, here I go - didn't see it anywhere on the forums so far:

How do we go about changing a stock steering wheel. I have the official tools on how to do it - I know how to get the steering wheel off the car. That is not what I'm asking. I'm asking: how do we replace the stock steering wheel with something more modern (read:not $300-$500). I know DMCH sells the steering wheel adapter here:

Adapter

Once you get that though, how do you know what wheel to get? How do you go about connecting the wheel to the adapter? How do you install the new, modern wheel wit this adapter? Anyone done this, and if so, could you please share your knowledge and experience? I have a "leather-rotting" wheel, and I want something different. I'm not paying $300-$500 new wheel. I want some new options.
    DMCTalk.org Moderator

Actual snippet of a conversation from Sept 2013:

Me: Eddie, I can't wait to get the car back when you're done with it.

Eddie: Yeah, you'll be able to give the car gas, and it won't be - like - embarrassing....

My VIN:    4087

Club(s):   (DOC-UK)

Sorry, not an answer to your question but just to let you know that you dont have to buy a new wheel from DMC

I had my wheel redone by Lee Pattison in England - the iphone pics arent great, but should give you an idea of what the standard wheel can look like! This cost approx 200-250 dollars.

Before

After

My VIN:    16419

Well, IMO for that price you can get a pretty cool momo wheel, then just get the adapter from delorean which they say it is easy to install.

My VIN:    2964

I'm plannig on getting a Momo steering wheel! GTR2 Steering Wheel
    Billy C. VIN: 2964

"Trying to Live the Dream!"

"If you're gonna own a DeLorean, why not build it with some style?"

http://www.facebook.com/billy.chingas.7

My VIN:    06357

In that same area, I as wondering if there is a way to install the horn in the center of the steering wheel, lik normal cars ?

The original one or an aftermarket one.

I would like to keep the original and have the center horn in it !

Nothing witty here lest it offend

Quote Originally Posted by MartyP View Post
    In that same area, I as wondering if there is a way to install the horn in the center of the steering wheel, lik normal cars ?

The original one or an aftermarket one.

I would like to keep the original and have the center horn in it !

Ditto. That's where God intended it. It's in the Bible.

My VIN:    16419

I dont think that it would be that difficult to do just tap the horn wires and hook up the new horn button. so that way both locations will activate the horn.

My VIN:    03238 Grey & Black Hybrid - Auto - work in progress Former owner 10902 - Universal 93 Raffle Car

I think the bigger problem is that there is no slip ring built into the steering column, so the wiring would constantly be twisting back and forth.

You would want to install a battery powered switch with a wireless link to a receiver - I'd swear I've seen them before but a 10 second google search did not turn them up... This would be a low profile package that would install behind the existing center pad.

Even if you can't find one intended as a car horn, you should be able to put one together relatively cheap. I'd probably want a kill switch somewhere up under the dash that you could reach while driving - and I'd power the receiver off a circuit that turns off with the ignition - with many RF devices you run the risk of other devices triggering it. It would be bad if it just turned on while you were cruising behind the local Hells Angels, equally bad at 3am if someone's wireless phone started triggering your car horn.

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

There are no contact rings in the steering column. If you wanted to put a button in or behind the center pad it would need to be a Battery powered Remote transmitter to signal a receiver that activates the horns. Many years ago BOB ZILLA (not real name) of the Zilla product line had a prototype of this but never brought to market.
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

My VIN:    02613

Club(s):   (DCF)

What about a repurposed tip-ring-sleeve connector? That can swivel in a jack all day long.

Farrar
    3.0L, automatic, carbureted

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast