FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Can I test myinjectors on a bench (outside the car) ?

My VIN:    06357

Can I test myinjectors on a bench (outside the car) ?

Hi guys ! I started workingon D-2,my new prject, and I'm working on the fuel system, and before I install everything,I would like to make sure everything works perfect.

Is there a way to test and check my stock fuel injectors while outside of the car ?

Thanks !

My VIN:    6585

Depends upon what specific test you're after on your system, but with the idea of literal bench testing, yes, you can do that. Here is the tool you'll need:

https://mercedessource.com/store/cis...nozzle-cleaner

With this you can check spray patterns and cracking PSI of the injectors.
    Robert

People they come together, people they fall apart...

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Actually the tester you are talking about is in your Workshop Manual D:03:01 Injector Valve Tester J 28876. If you have a Volvo dealer nearby they may have one or you can send the injectors out to one of the Delorean vendors. The tester can clean the injectors, check the opening and closing pressures, and you can observe the spray pattern. If the car is running the best thing to do is to run a can of Techron first to clean them up. If you pull the injectors figure on replacing the injector seals. They are usually old and hard and no longer seal well causing vacuum leaks. You will also need a bunch of copper seals.
    David Teitelbaum

Ramblin' Wreck from Georgia Tech RamblinDMC's Avatar

My VIN:    2203

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

I made a homemade fuel injector tester for about $25 a few days ago. It consists of a 1.5 inch PVC pipe with a screw cap on one end and a standard PVC cap on the other. The screw cap has a bayonet connector air connector and valve threaded into it. The other end has a banjo bolt and injector hose attached. (I had those left over from when I replaced my WUR)
    With this, I can fill the PVC pipe with any type of cleaner, diluted Seafoam for example and hook up my air compressor to blow out the injectors. I can post a picture next time I'm at the garage.

My VIN:    6585

Quote Originally Posted by RamblinDMC View Post
    I made a homemade fuel injector tester for about $25 a few days ago.
    <SNIP>
    With this, I can fill the PVC pipe with any type of cleaner, diluted Seafoam for example and hook up my air compressor to blow out the injectors. I can post a picture next time I'm at the garage.
    Yeah, um, please don't do that. I've not idea what specifically the hydrocarbon blend of SeaFoam is as they list it as a trade secret, but Polyvinyl Chloride (aka PVC) doesn't really like gasoline, and probably not petroleum distillates much either.

https://www.spilltech.com/wcsstore/S.../ccg/CBOOM.pdf

Get a drill, a bottle jack, and some JB Weld if you're looking to to safely build your own CIS Injector Tester. You wouldn't want that stuff to eventually crack under pressure, and spray those harsh chemicals around the shop and on you, or in your face. I'm not trying to troll, just looking out for you.
    Robert

People they come together, people they fall apart...

Ramblin' Wreck from Georgia Tech RamblinDMC's Avatar

My VIN:    2203

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Thanks for the heads up. The contraption worked in a pinch and on a broke college student tight budget. However, I've confirmed that all of my injectors spray well and those that didn't now do after the cleaning. I didn't really plan on using the thing later anyway.
    Thanks for looking out for me.

Sent from my XT1049 using Tapatalk

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Quote Originally Posted by RamblinDMC View Post
    Thanks for the heads up. The contraption worked in a pinch and on a broke college student tight budget. However, I've confirmed that all of my injectors spray well and those that didn't now do after the cleaning. I didn't really plan on using the thing later anyway.
    Thanks for looking out for me.

Sent from my XT1049 using Tapatalk
    While such a contraption may work to force cleaner through the injectors, it can't be used to check the opening and closing pressures and that is at least as important as the spray pattern. For what you will spend in time and money it isn't worth it to build your own. Find a Volvo dealer or just send them out.
    David Teitelbaum