FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Elio vs. Delorean

My VIN:    16619

Looks neat and potentially promising. The biggest concern I would have is how practical it would be to own one. It would almost seem it would sell strongest with new drivers (High Schoolers and College Students). Maybe a little to fresh out of college too.

While it claims it seats two, I can't really imagine a grown person being able to fit in the back. So I can't really see a couple wanting this for a road trip or anything.

Also, looks like Takata is their supplier for Airbags... hope they consider changing suppliers soon...

Their board members looks pretty solid and seems to have good experience. Hopefully they are successfully, I don't see them being huge or anything, but probably good enough to float along and be profitable.

Looks like it'll be at the N.A. Auto Show, so hopefully I'll be able to check it out next week during industry day!

My VIN:    6585

This thing scares me:

I feel like in a normal fender bender, I could end up with a crunched sheet metal along with a damaged bumper, and *maybe* pop a tire and end up with minimal repairs. But with the Elio, I would be at a high risk of catching the wheel on something, and ripping it and the entire suspension off to disable my car.

I'm a little concerned about the safety aspect of this car to say the least. Especially with that rear passenger seat for side and head trauma. But I would hope they get that worked out. Otherwise, yes, I like the looks and the design. Just looking at the evolution of the engine alone shows a great amount of promise for this company's commitment. They've gone from Carburetion, to EFI, not to mention what appears to be further development of the cylinder head,and because of that they do appear to be committed to developing the car and not just using it to promote investments.

I hope they make it. Given Carl Ichan's massive investment in Pep Boys, who just so happens to be the preferred repair center for these cars, I think that's a good sign.
    Robert

People they come together, people they fall apart...

My VIN:    16619

Quote Originally Posted by DMCVegas View Post
    This thing scares me:

I feel like in a normal fender bender, I could end up with a crunched sheet metal along with a damaged bumper, and *maybe* pop a tire and end up with minimal repairs. But with the Elio, I would be at a high risk of catching the wheel on something, and ripping it and the entire suspension off to disable my car.

I'm a little concerned about the safety aspect of this car to say the least. Especially with that rear passenger seat for side and head trauma. But I would hope they get that worked out. Otherwise, yes, I like the looks and the design. Just looking at the evolution of the engine alone shows a great amount of promise for this company's commitment. They've gone from Carburetion, to EFI, not to mention what appears to be further development of the cylinder head,and because of that they do appear to be committed to developing the car and not just using it to promote investments.

I hope they make it. Given Carl Ichan's massive investment in Pep Boys, who just so happens to be the preferred repair center for these cars, I think that's a good sign.
    That does bring a good point. I wonder if they have to meet any safety regulations since they imply it's classified as a motorcycle but still beat around the bush to exactly what it is (pretty shaddy).

My VIN:    5312, (860 sold)

Ugly as hell and I couldn't see something like this making it here. It looks too much like a concept that will never be in production. But good luck if it is built.

Quote Originally Posted by Exolis View Post
    That does bring a good point. I wonder if they have to meet any safety regulations since they imply it's classified as a motorcycle but still beat around the bush to exactly what it is (pretty shaddy).
    Thanks to Polaris and their shady dealings with their Slingshot model, that's not going to be able to apply any longer, and the Elio probably isn't going to happen now...

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/...lers-like-elio
    Robert

My VIN:    2706

Damn, I feel like that is going to be a big problem if they cant get passed that regulation. I fail to see how this thing crashes well lol.

Quote Originally Posted by powerline84 View Post
    I fail to see how this thing crashes well lol.
    Well if one crashes, you will see it fail!

Polaris really are the ones that screwed it up for everyone with that damn Slingshot. That's where all this regulation came from. But if not for Polaris, it might have been Elio too. But I also understand this as well. Because with a motorcycle, you kinda know what the dangers and risks involved are. But when you're strapped into a seat with a belt or harness and you've got a steering wheel, you feel a bit safer like a car, and that's a false sense of security. So I get it.

Now that's not to say that this vehicle can't be safe. I mean, you have compact cars that do rather well in matched crash testing like the smart fortwo. Which this vehicle shape and size could "potentially" match if the proper engineering was put into it. Though like my first concern here with head protection in the Elio, even the fortwo is only "Average".

Now if the Elio has the proper engineering put into place here, there's a good chance it could make it as a passenger vehicle. But then the next real concern is going to be emissions testing. They've done some work on the head and engine management, as well as reworked the cylinder head, but it's still an old 30 year old Suzuki engine. It needs to be both clean, as well as then get fully certified by the EPA for this platform.

It might still be possible for the Elio to come to market, but damn, it now requires much more work. It's like they got over a bill hill to now find a mountain got thrown in their way.
    Robert

My VIN:    10644

It reminds me of the Owosso Pulse, which was one of the futuristic cars shown in BTTF 2. I grew up near Owosso and saw these all the time. 6 year-old me wanted one so bad.

http://www.banovsky.com/archive/owos...-company-pulse

My VIN:    1710

Having been broadsided in a DeLorean, the thought of being broadsided in an Elio is pretty terrifying to me. However, I do wonder if this is an instance of the car's size working in it's favor. I'd have to think with the Elio being so light and only having one rear tire, that if it were broadsided by a larger vehicle, the Elio would simply be knocked out of the way vs crushing from the impact. However, that opens another can of worms... horrific whiplash. Not just that, but since the car is so narrow, the whiplash could lead to the occupants heads being bashed into the interior walls, unless this sub-$7,000 car comes with extensive side-curtain airbags. And on the domino scenarios continue.

For what it's worth, I've rooted for this company for a long time, though. The US needs more kooky, oddball vehicles- they've largely been legislated off our roads. Plus, in an era when even domestic automakers are outsourcing production, here's an upstart going against that tide. Do I think this venture will be successful? No, but I do love any time the automotive status quo is reexamined.
    Louie Golden

That's where airbags make a huge difference in car safety. Especially compact, and sub-compact ones. I mean, I've got a 2014 Focus, and the thing has 7 separate airbags inside. Engineering also goes a long way, too. Aside from the safety beams, the attitude has changed allot about making cars more disposable where the integrated chassis will not only absorb and transfer energy, but they're also sacrificial.

Now as much as I like the Elio design, I also can't lie that I wouldn't be buying one. Not new anyway, maybe in a few years as a toy to play with. In the used car market, there are just far too many competing vehicles.
    Robert

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast