FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Cleaning Grounds [Split from DeLorean Ground Schematic]

My VIN:    16891

Club(s):   (DMA)

Cleaning Grounds [Split from DeLorean Ground Schematic]

What/how do you folks advise to clean these main ground points? Last time I made the better connections by getting to the bear metal and then used dialectic grease to coat the connections.
    I recently have had low voltage readings on the volt gauge even after a newuploadfromtaptalk1406332052339.jpg alternator so now cleuploadfromtaptalk1406332072364.jpganing the grounds are my first plan of attack.
    Very nice and we'll laid out thread on this subject!
    Thanks!
    Mark

The first pic is just idling with nothing on.
    The second pic is with the lights on and the A/C on... which means the fans are on too.
    Did not have this issue last summer... kinda lost but will be doing the ground check here shortly.
    Mark

My VIN:    03572

Quote Originally Posted by dmcerm View Post
    What/how do you folks advise to clean these main ground points? Last time I made the better connections by getting to the bear metal and then used dialectic grease to coat the connections.
    I recently have had low voltage readings on the volt gauge even after a newuploadfromtaptalk1406332052339.jpg alternator so now cleuploadfromtaptalk1406332072364.jpganing the grounds are my first plan of attack.
    Very nice and we'll laid out thread on this subject!
    Thanks!
    If you verify accuracy of that gauge reading, you can narrow down which grounds to clean. If it is only the gauge at fault, your ground on the back behind the relay compartment is probably the fault.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Very interesting. As I said earlier, to did the ground improvement things a few years ago and indeed believed I saw improvement and now this, so I'll go back and recheck the previous job and look into the grounds behind the relay box.
    What am I to do to those grounds behind the relay box? Tighten them? Clean them? Not sure. The ones on the frame I understood... grind down to good metal and resecure the grounds for better contact but what of these grounds? Why does this happen?
    New cars are not like the DeLorean are they? Can't imagine they are.
    Strange but thanks for the advise and for entertaining all my questions.
    Mark

My VIN:    5625

Quote Originally Posted by dmcerm View Post
    The first pic is just idling with nothing on.
    The second pic is with the lights on and the A/C on... which means the fans are on too.
    Did not have this issue last summer... kinda lost but will be doing the ground check here shortly.
    My voltage gauge is doing the same thing. I have the new ground wires from Hervey and a new alternator. I have almost 14 volts tested at the engine compartment with the engine running, but the volt gauge in the dash shows less than 13. Much like your picture actually. Did you ever find a resolution for this?
    You can't buy happiness, but you can buy a DeLorean and that's sort of the same thing....

My VIN:    0934

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Trstno1 View Post
    My voltage gauge is doing the same thing. I have the new ground wires from Hervey and a new alternator. I have almost 14 volts tested at the engine compartment with the engine running, but the volt gauge in the dash shows less than 13. Much like your picture actually. Did you ever find a resolution for this?
    There are 2 or 3 threads about voltmeter accuracy including this one: LINK: http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?10917

As near as I can tell it's usually, not in any order, one of more of these 3 causes: Bad ground, dirty Fuse #5 or the fact that the dash voltmeter isn't a high-precision instrument. The wiring diagram shows that an unusually easy place to check the voltage for that circuit is the green wire at the Otterstat, which also is fed by Fuse #5.
    March '81, 5-speed, black interior