FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: New Injector fail

My VIN:    2567 (Sold)

New Injector fail

I must be really unlucky with Bosch injectors especially the new ones. Is there something I need to do before I install a brand new injector? Soak it in gas?

A few months ago, DMC did a valve adjustment on my car. When I got my car back, car was shaking at idle. Upon inspection, one of my injectors failed so I got a new one from Amazon. I didn't do the spray test when I installed the new injector. Car was still shaking at idle and never got any better. So I ordered another one from a DMC vendor. This time, I spray tested it but it didn't spray well. It sprayed intermittently. I am thinking that it will eventually spray like the others after several miles. Unfortunately, performance never got better. So I went ahead and ordered another new one from eBay. Today, I spray tested the injector from a DMC vendor and it was barely spraying. So I installed eBay one and it wasn't doing any better. Spraying sporadically.

It is not the distributor because I tested with different lines and different bolts and etc... and still the same. Old ones were working fine at any lines and new one failed at every line. I just cannot believe all three brand new injectors failed????

And how do you store spare injectors? All my working spare injectors didn't work at all. Nothing came out. Totally clogged.

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

Maybe you should swap a known good injector and the known bad injector to each other's lines and see if the problem follows the injector.
    http://dmctalk.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=90&dateline=161808992  9

Not a DeLorean Guru

My VIN:    01049

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Maybe you should swap a known good injector and the known bad injector to each other's lines and see if the problem follows the injector.
    +1 on this. This will very quickly isolate the underlying issue. I really doubt that you got that many bad out of the box injectors in a row.
    -Mike

My engine twists my frame.

1981 DeLorean, Carb LS4 swap completed
    1999 Corvette, cam/headers/intake manifold, 400 rwhp
    2005 Elise, stock
    2016 Chevy Cruze

My VIN:    03572

I would store spare injectors (used ones) in a jar of 100% gas (no 10% alcohol). New injectors I would just leave in the box. When you did the flow test, did you just push the air plate down a little? I've seen problems pushing the air plate all the way but work pretty good only half way pressed.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Yes, I did that. Problem followed the bad injector, no matter which line I swapped with. Good injector worked on any lines.

And yes, I pressed air plate down when testing. Other five good injectors sprayed beautifully in jars.
    Here is my YouTube video with DMC vendor one. It sort of worked a couple of weeks ago but barely today. As you can see from the video, it sprayed intermittently.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=...;v=1GlLPHD83xc

My VIN:    005058 000927

Club(s):   (AZ-D) (DMA) (DOA) (DCUK)

The first question is are these new injectors really Bosch because genuine Bosch injectors are becoming hard to get. Most vendors these days I believe are selling Chinese injectors and I have heard the failure rate is very high or about one per set. I scooped up the last of the stateside Bosch inventory last year when my distributor said the part # was being discontinued. A few more have turned up since but the future doesn't look good. Perhaps a closeup pic of these injectors (out of the jars) would shed some light? I've never seen a defective new genuine Bosch injector. I haven't come across any of these aftermarket versions so I don't know if they're marked as "Bosch" parts. I suspect your new injectors may be "knockoffs".
    Rob

My VIN:    03572

China counterfeits everything these days right down to the OEM box. So you never know what your buying these days unless there is a record of the parts from manufacture to a trusted distributor. I learned the hard way to buy electronic components only from major vendors located in the US and those vendors are ISO-9000 qualified.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Quote Originally Posted by PJ Grady Inc. View Post
    The first question is are these new injectors really Bosch because genuine Bosch injectors are becoming hard to get. Most vendors these days I believe are selling Chinese injectors and I have heard the failure rate is very high or about one per set. I scooped up the last of the stateside Bosch inventory last year when my distributor said the part # was being discontinued. A few more have turned up since but the future doesn't look good. Perhaps a closeup pic of these injectors (out of the jars) would shed some light? I've never seen a defective new genuine Bosch injector. I haven't come across any of these aftermarket versions so I don't know if they're marked as "Bosch" parts. I suspect your new injectors may be "knockoffs".
    Rob
    This procedure, using bottles to observe spray patterns, can identify a problem injector but that's all it can do. Using an injector tester/cleaner not only can you observe the injector, you can measure opening and closing pressures but more importantly you can clean it. In many cases problem injectors can be successfully cleaned but not every one will clean up. It is worth sending the injector back, maybe it can be cleaned up. These injectors are getting harder and harder to find so each one is precious and worth trying to fix. Bosch parts in general are no longer being made as well as in the past and some parts are not being made at all. As for your problem injector, it should be replaced or repaired, the motor won't run properly with it squirting like that. On the subject of storing injectors, they should be stored dry in a dry place and sealed so they can't get dirty. Storing them in fuel is a bad idea, the fuel will eventually dry up and leave them gummy.
    David Teitelbaum

Not a DeLorean Guru

My VIN:    01049

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    This procedure, using bottles to observe spray patterns, can identify a problem injector but that's all it can do. Using an injector tester/cleaner not only can you observe the injector, you can measure opening and closing pressures but more importantly you can clean it. In many cases problem injectors can be successfully cleaned but not every one will clean up. It is worth sending the injector back, maybe it can be cleaned up. These injectors are getting harder and harder to find so each one is precious and worth trying to fix. Bosch parts in general are no longer being made as well as in the past and some parts are not being made at all. As for your problem injector, it should be replaced or repaired, the motor won't run properly with it squirting like that. On the subject of storing injectors, they should be stored dry in a dry place and sealed so they can't get dirty. Storing them in fuel is a bad idea, the fuel will eventually dry up and leave them gummy.
    Lower left hand of screen:

how to reply.PNG
    -Mike

My engine twists my frame.

1981 DeLorean, Carb LS4 swap completed
    1999 Corvette, cam/headers/intake manifold, 400 rwhp
    2005 Elise, stock
    2016 Chevy Cruze

Here are some photos of my second one. eBay one is in the car and now car runs worse than before. First one and my other spares were sent for cleaning. If I can salvage a couple from their, I would be happy.

For some reason, in this photo, injector looks brown but actual color is dark gray. Amazon and Delorean vendor injectors have copper color tips. eBay one's tip was same color as body, similar to my other ones, all gray.

I cannot believe that all three brand new ones failed like that. Hard to believe that they were all Chinese knock offs. I have replaced injectors before and I don't think I did anything wrong or different than before.

IMG_1118.jpgIMG_1117.jpgIMG_1116.jpgIMG_1115.jpgIMG_1114.jpg

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast