FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Assessing OEM Door Lock Module (DLM) and solenoids

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by lsoasey View Post
    I'm going through a similar process as DMC-81 of evaluating the door lock module solenoids in my car. I'm interested in upgrading the components within my original Door Lock Module as described by Elvis' nice PDF. Can anyone provide a web link or part number for the a relay replacement which is physically pin compatible with the original relays on the board? I can see that suppliers like Digi-Key have many options which are electrically compatible -- I'm just uncertain on the pin alignment. I haven't been able to find a recommendations here via the forum search. (I'll apologize in advance if it has been posted already. I may not be using the proper combination of keywords...) I think I can find the transistor and resistors.

Thanks!
    Hi there,

I'm still gathering parts for the mod, but here is what I have ordered:

2 x OEM open relays (Tyco/Siemens VKP-15F42). I bought them from Toby at DPNW part # 101420-RO $6.95 each

http://www.delorean-parts.com/Mercha...Code=101420-RO

(The Digi-Key part # is PB313-ND but it's obsolete )

1 x inline fuse with 10 amp fuse. Toby at DPNW

2 x Darlington Transistor MFG Part No: BD679-NPN Mouser Part #:511-BD679

2 x 10k ohm Vishay Metal Film Resistors - Through Hole. MFG Part No:CCF0710K0JKE36
    Mouser Part # 71-CCF0710K0JKE36

Your post has great timing. I got the parts from Toby, but I'm waiting on the Mouser order.

Please, can anyone with electrical expertise comment on my choice of resistor? I think I got the exact Transistor that was in Elvis' instructions.

Cheers,
    Dana
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

Quote Originally Posted by DMC-81 View Post

2 x 10k ohm Vishay Metal Film Resistors - Through Hole. MFG Part No:CCF0710K0JKE36

Please, can anyone with electrical expertise comment on my choice of resistor?
    Sorry, here is the link to the part.... http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/...%252bliA%3D%3D

Thanks!
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.

My VIN:    04955

Club(s):   (RMDG)

Hi there,

I'm still gathering parts for the mod, but here is what I have ordered:

2 x OEM open relays (Tyco/Siemens VKP-15F42). I bought them from Toby at DPNW part # 101420-RO $6.95 each

http://www.delorean-parts.com/Mercha...Code=101420-RO

(The Digi-Key part # is PB313-ND but it's obsolete )

1 x inline fuse with 10 amp fuse. Toby at DPNW

2 x Darlington Transistor MFG Part No: BD679-NPN Mouser Part #:511-BD679

Your post has great timing. I got the parts from Toby, but I'm waiting on the Mouser order.

Please, can anyone with electrical expertise comment on my choice of resistor? I think I got the exact Transistor that was in Elvis' instructions.

Cheers,
    Dana
    Dana... This is great! Good timing indeed. I didn't realize that DPNW stocked the appropriate relay, so I'm glad you pointed that out. It just so happens that I placed an order with them online a couple days ago that hasn't been processed yet. I'll try to contact them tomorrow to see if they can simple add this to that order.

Thanks!
    -Luke

Young Padawan With The DeLorean kings1527's Avatar

My VIN:    6575

I installed the new digital DLM that I ordered from DMCMW along with the new door actuators (I think from DMCNW) over three years ago and they've all functioned perfectly since minute one. FWIW.

Alex Abdalla

Late 1981, Grey 5-speed, 75k miles. Built 11/11/81

A stock-look with modern, reliable technology.

A full restoration with step-by-step "what I did" is in progress at www.delorean6575revisited.blogspot.com

My VIN:    03572

Sorry, here is the link to the part.... http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/...%252bliA%3D%3D

Thanks!
    Metal film resistors are better than carbon resistors so that resistor should work fine
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    Metal film resistors are better than carbon resistors so that resistor should work fine
    Thanks Dave!

I'll post my progress once I get the parts.
    Dana

Dana - I already wrote you - there is absolutely no reason to worry about the resistors !

Same size, same technology or even cheaper - no problem at all !!
    Just increase the resistance from 1k to 10k to save standby current .

It doesn't even matter it is a 5.6 k or 15k.
    10k was most reasonable from availability, current saving and time between locking and unlocking.

You could even use a smaller sized one because - less current -> less power !
    But the size is standard and you can get it from any electronics parts dealer.

Great to see you bought the fuse :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Elvis View Post
    Dana - I already wrote you - there is absolutely no reason to worry about the resistors !

Same size, same technology or even cheaper - no problem at all !!
    Just increase the resistance from 1k to 10k to save standby current .

It doesn't even matter it is a 5.6 k or 15k.
    10k was most reasonable from availability, current saving and time between locking and unlocking.

You could even use a smaller sized one because - less current -> less power !
    But the size is standard and you can get it from any electronics parts dealer.

Great to see you bought the fuse :-)

Thanks Elvis! Actually, I bought 2 versions of the resistors (they were only 10 cents each), first - one that was 1/8 watt, and second - the one mentioned above that was 1/4 watt. When I got the first 1/8 watt ones, they visually seemed too small, and the 1/4 watt one seemed approximately the same size as the ones in the DLM. (I was concerned about using components that are not up to the task, and maybe burn out etc., so I thought I'd check.

Here is the 1/8 version link: http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/...XcHU8U2A%3D%3D

So are you saying the 1/8 watt resistor would be better because it would be more efficient at reducing standby power?

Sorry for the rudimentary questions. I'm learning along the way.

By the way, here are all the parts together:
    image.jpg

(That's not the fuse that I got from Toby. His is very similar, and but I'll use it elsewhere.)

Cheers,
    Dana

The power rating only says what the resistor could withstand

but in this application it does not come even close to the maximum power !

P = U²/ R = 14V * 14V / 10000 V/A = 20mW -> worst case maxixmum power loss on the resistor

1/8 W = 125mW

you see - we are far away from the maximum power that the small resistor could handle

Do you believe me now, that it really does not matter at all ?

Quote Originally Posted by Elvis View Post
    The power rating only says what the resistor could withstand

but in this application it does not come even close to the maximum power !

P = U²/ R = 14V * 14V / 10000 V/A = 20mW -> worst case maxixmum power loss on the resistor

1/8 W = 125mW

you see - we are far away from the maximum power that the small resistor could handle

Do you believe me now, that it really does not matter at all ?

Thanks for the detailed explanation Elvis! Now I understand. I'll use the 1/8 watt resistor. It's not that I didn't believe you. It's just that I second guessed my shopping based on size. Now I know a little bit more about these small electronics. I even learned how to read the color bands.

On to de-soldering and soldering!
    Dana

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast