FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Radio - Blaupunkt Toronto 420

My VIN:    2412

Club(s):   (DMA)

Radio - Blaupunkt Toronto 420

I've had my DeLorean for about 4 months. It had an 80s tape deck but not the original Craig so it was time to replace it. Here were my requirements. USB, Bluetooth and a minimal design that didn't look too out of place. All new head units are very flashy and I didn't want that. After much search I came across the Blaupunkt Toronto 420. So far, I love it. It met all my requirements and as a bonus matches the colors of the AC panel (red, green and blue). It also has the dual knobs, matching the style of the Craig. I also replaced all my speakers with new Kickers. Now, I'm not an audiophile but for 4 speakers and no sub it sounds pretty good. I do hear a phone little phone noise when connected via Bluetooth and streaming audio to my phone. The only other downside I've found is that it's a German company and hard to get parts. I scratched the thin plastic frame during install at little and it seems next to impossible to get replacement parts.

I'd recommend it.

image.jpg

My VIN:    2743

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCH) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

I do like the look of that one, with the dual knobs
    Dermot
    VIN 2743, B/A, Frame 2227, engine 2320

I don't always drive cars, but when I do, I prefer DeLoreans

http://www.will-to-live.org

No-one is to stone anyone, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say "carburetor"

My VIN:    1121

Club(s):   (DOA) (DCUK)

I'm still trying to decide what to do in mine. I looked this up and found mixed reviews. It sounds like it's pretty new to you. Would you be willing to re-review it after a bit and let us know how well you still like it?

Sure, I'll try to remember to do that. I probably won't be using it much now that it's winter, though.

My VIN:    16951

Club(s):   (DCO) (DOA) (DCUK)

This radio is looking really nice on the dashboard

My VIN:    16409

It seems Blaupunkt has discontinued this model. I may have to get one now and keep it as a spare.
    Chris Miles

For Better or Worse I own a DeLorean!
    1983 Grey Manual, VIN #16409, Fresno, California

A little update after using this for a bit.

The display is pretty minimal. Especially with Bluetooth. All it will display is "BT Streaming." No song title or anything like that. The phone noise over BT seemed to have resolved itself. There is a little crackle in the BT audio if you listen for it but it's not too bad.

The USB audio does display more information and sounds better. On occasion I've had the USB disconnect temporarily. I haven't done any trouble shooting to see if it's the cable and haven't tried the rear USB.

The mic on the faceplate is OK. My wife says she can hear me but it's not great. There is a mic input which would give better audio I just don't want to mount a mic anywhere and don't intend on talking on the phone much while driving the DeLo.

Overall, I'm still happy with it. It's minimal (in function and looks) and doesn't look too out of place.

My VIN:    1121

Club(s):   (DOA) (DCUK)

Thanks for the update.

My VIN:    16409

I ordered one of these radios from Amazon. According to them, they are discontinued. I wanted to be sure to get before they became harder to find and more expensive. I too do not like a the flashy displays and graphics the modern radios seem to have. I like the minimalistic approach Blaupunkt took with the Toronto 420. I have a Mid-2000's alpine stereo in my car now. I've been very happy with it, but on longer road trips I've noticed it starts to turn itself off. Maybe it's getting too hot. Also the CD Player doesn't work.

Do you know if this radio has the ability to Play/pause your music tracs?
    Chris Miles

For Better or Worse I own a DeLorean!
    1983 Grey Manual, VIN #16409, Fresno, California

Quote Originally Posted by Chris 16409 View Post
    I ordered one of these radios from Amazon. According to them, they are discontinued. I wanted to be sure to get before they became harder to find and more expensive. I too do not like a the flashy displays and graphics the modern radios seem to have. I like the minimalistic approach Blaupunkt took with the Toronto 420. I have a Mid-2000's alpine stereo in my car now. I've been very happy with it, but on longer road trips I've noticed it starts to turn itself off. Maybe it's getting too hot. Also the CD Player doesn't work.

Do you know if this radio has the ability to Play/pause your music tracs?
    Yes, if you look closely at the picture the "3" button is also play/pause. The right knob skips forward and back when turned. Be careful though, a small turn skips and if you turn too far it skips several tracks. Bad for Pandora if you don't want to run out of skips .

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast