FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Ebay listing

My VIN:    3937

Quote Originally Posted by alastairmansell View Post
    How about this eBay listing?
    If I was interested, where would I want to drop out of the bidding?
    Does anyone know this car?
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/DeLorean-DMC...m=371537161147
    Thanks
    A
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    It looks good. Photos are consistent with the written description.

As Dana says, front susp. photos missing but the rest of the chassis looks like it would if it had been in Calif. since new as they claim.
    You think there are a few too many rusty brackets and fittings for that car to have spent its entire life in SoCal? I think so. When you look at the bolt heads to the fuel tank closing plate as well as the studs left where the air deflectors would be, the bracket just behind the accumulator opening and a number of bolt or screw heads in the engine bay, it just doesn't look quite as "rust free" as you hope it would.

The alarm appears to be the only non-stock addition so it seems to pass a few of your criteria nicely.

Claiming a current Calif. smog certificate suggests engine isn't in horrible shape.
    I'd find out if the alarm works or not and what it ties into that got modified. My experience with these classic car dealerships hasn't been good and while they might not try to purposely screw you, they might inadvertently do so anyway just from their own ignorance to what they are selling.

Plastic coolant bottle has been changed out, which is good. So too has the three-way valve on the air intake. It has the cold only performance duct. Does this matter when smog'ing a California car? I only ask because if it does, one might start to question whether it indeed does have a valid smog test pass.

Driver side door lamps out, easy fix. Trunk gasket shot, somewhat easy fix. As you mention your inexperience that passenger window problem could be tricky depending on what's wrong. You can easily break or damage parts and glass just getting at and working on the door/glass mechanisms. Parts for that are no problem. Getting that mended in NZ may be tricky, tho, unless you have a pal there who's handy. DMC SoCal could sort it out.

Looks better than the Volo offering. Seems to be a rust-free driver with very few issues. No comment on value.
    Missing the outside seatbelt bolt cover on the driver's side. Might ask why there are wires hanging down from the centre console on the passenger side. People don't generally go in there unless they are fixing something or sorting a problem out. Not a for sure issue, just something to follow-up on when it catches your eye. Where did the driver's side floor mat go?

Quote Originally Posted by Dangermouse View Post
    Sounds like a car that has been recently brought out of hibernation (new fuels system components, new tires etc). Not that that is necesarily a bad thing, if done correctly.

I would order a carfax/autocheck report, if it were me, to see the mileage at the various smog tests over the years, and see where the gap is.

Needs a window regulator and probably the AC fixed. And a replacement radio. Shipping it home via DMCCA mightn't be a bad idea to get a thorough inspection done.
    Or if going through the expense of shipping a car to NZ anyway, you might see about paying DMCCA to go look at this car BEFORE you buy it and check it out for you. If you end up buying it, maybe that cost gets rolled into more work they can help you with prior to shipping. If you don't buy it because they don't like what they see, it ends up being a well spent $300 or whatever to rule a bad car out.

And if NZ gets the warm weather like I presume it does, finding out what it will take to get the A/C system working would be smart. I would not assume it will take an existing belt to be reinstalled and a $50 can of Red-Tek12 to top it up.

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

My VIN:    2743

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCH) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

I was wondering of DMCCA offer that sort of inspection service, where their tech would travel to a location to look at and report on, a car??
    Dermot
    VIN 2743, B/A, Frame 2227, engine 2320

I don't always drive cars, but when I do, I prefer DeLoreans

http://www.will-to-live.org

No-one is to stone anyone, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say "carburetor"

My VIN:    10889 2259

Thanks. I have emailed DMCCA and got a very vague auto response. So I'm not sure whether they are able to offer that service or not.

On a different note, our city newspaper reported today that Delorean (Texas) is building 300 replicas. Cost to be about $100,000. Out of my budget anyway.

Anyway, i'm in on the auction. If it is meant to be, it will be!

Thanks to all who have helped so far. I'm quite blown away by the help and support.

A

OK, I'm not in the auction. I suggested I use an Escrow service as suggested by a couple of members, and tried to get the account details so I could set it up with my bank ASAP, due to time zone differences, and he has me down as a scam. So my bid is withdrawn and I'm blocked from bidding.
    I have emailed him and hope to get it sorted.
    I'll update you.
    Wish me luck.
    A

Success

Many thanks to all who have given help and suggestions. I picked one up on eBay.
    I plan to get it checked by DMC California and then will ship it back to New Zealand.
    I look forward to taking part in this forum on an ongoing basis. I'm suspect that the DeLoreans "character" will mean I have plenty of reason to.
    It's nice to be part of such a friendly enthusiastic community.
    Alastair

My VIN:    0934

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Many thanks to all who have given help and suggestions. I picked one up on eBay.
    I plan to get it checked by DMC California and then will ship it back to New Zealand.
    I look forward to taking part in this forum on an ongoing basis.
    Congratulations!

Let us know how it goes.

Welcome to DeLorean ownership!
    March '81, 5-speed, black interior

My VIN:    10350 & 2083 SEARCHING FOR VIN#16664

Club(s):   (DMCNE)

Congrats!

A friend of mine shipped his car overseas and had the trunk packed with spare parts he purchased from DMCH and eBay. Always nice to have essential spare parts that you may not be able to get in New Zealand easily.

Just a thought.

Enjoy!!!!
    ---------------------------------
    SEARCHING FOR VIN #16664
    ---------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by Ras12 View Post
    Congrats!

A friend of mine shipped his car overseas and had the trunk packed with spare parts he purchased from DMCH and eBay. Always nice to have essential spare parts that you may not be able to get in New Zealand easily.

Just a thought.

Enjoy!!!!
    A good thought. I'm getting DMC CA to do their standard 11 page report for me. This should give me an idea of what may be useful. Any suggestion on what the "most popular" spares would be?

Mind you, I have blown the budget almost to the dollar on buying it and getting it shipped. I'll have to raid another money pot to pay the 15% sales tax that I have to pay to bring it into New Zealand! A trunk full of spares may be a bit beyond me. Probably lucky the trunk is pretty small :-)

Alastair

My VIN:    3937

A good thought. I'm getting DMC CA to do their standard 11 page report for me. This should give me an idea of what may be useful. Any suggestion on what the "most popular" spares would be?

Mind you, I have blown the budget almost to the dollar on buying it and getting it shipped. I'll have to raid another money pot to pay the 15% sales tax that I have to pay to bring it into New Zealand! A trunk full of spares may be a bit beyond me. Probably lucky the trunk is pretty small :-)

Alastair
    The rules may have changed since 2007, or they may be different across different borders, but when I brought my car into Canada from the US, the shipper/customs broker made it very clear to me that there was not to be "extras" in the car. If an interior door trim panel was off and laying in the seat, ok, but they did not want to see boxes of things elsewhere in the car (trunk or otherwise).

There weren't any spares coming with my car at the time, and the place I bought it was not in the parts selling business, so I didn't challenge it. I would at least clarify what you're permitted to do before investing in a pile of parts. You might still get your car and parts, but the car delivery portion could be delayed and you might end up paying more than you intended to ship those parts separately if someone at customs takes exception to it.

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

My VIN:    2743

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCH) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

I look forward to taking part in this forum on an ongoing basis. I'm suspect that the DeLoreans "character" will mean I have plenty of reason to.
    It's nice to be part of such a friendly enthusiastic community.
    Alastair
    soooooo, which one did you buy?
    Dermot
    VIN 2743, B/A, Frame 2227, engine 2320

I don't always drive cars, but when I do, I prefer DeLoreans

http://www.will-to-live.org

No-one is to stone anyone, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say "carburetor"

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast