FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: A/C heater box restoration parts

A/C heater box restoration parts

Hello guys,

can you help me with a list of parts needed during the restoration of the A/C heater box?

I mean parts like sealer, foams..

reading previous blogs I found this product to be used when sealing the 2 parts of the box body
    http://www.amazon.com/3M-08578-Black.../dp/B000PEZ1L4

Best regards
    Let us reply to ambition that it is she herself that gives us a taste for solitude.

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

You can get the strip caulk at any auto parts store possibly your local hardware store too.

FOAM: All of the foam seals that were attached to the actuator doors have likely long since disintegrated. The PVC foams are a poor product choice for this application but thats what they used. When I did a quasi restoration 5 years ago. I just found some adhesive backed low density 1/4 x 1" PVC foam tape in the weather stripping and sealing section at my hardware store. After that it was just a matter of being creative in making it work. The original foam seals were large sheets attached to the doors. I used the tape around the outer rim of the doors. On the bi-level door, I applied the tape on both sides hanging it over the edge to help seal the gaps. Doing this allowed the Adhesive backing to stick to each other. This helped re-enforce the seal edge. In the end, its just a matter of being creative with what you think might work. I figure anything is better that nothing and there was nothing left of the original. I also made a 2-piece blocking plate to seal up around the Heater core pipes. The piece of Foam that the factory used has a tendency to come loose and is the main cause for hot feet in the summer if you don't use MAX A/C. MAX A/C closes the water valve so you don't have continuos hot water circulating through the core.

I posted a bunch of photos back when I did the project. I don't recall what thread it was in through. It might have been in the " What have you done to your Delorean today" thread or a stand alone. I do recall showing a photo of the strip caulk box. If you found a post by me with that in it you likely found my post about the project.
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

My VIN:    005058 000927

Club(s):   (AZ-D) (DMA) (DOA) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by BABIS View Post
    Hello guys,

can you help me with a list of parts needed during the restoration of the A/C heater box?

I mean parts like sealer, foams..

reading previous blogs I found this product to be used when sealing the 2 parts of the box body
    http://www.amazon.com/3M-08578-Black.../dp/B000PEZ1L4

Best regards
    Yes that is the caulking used to seal the halves and various openings etc. It is affectionately known in the trade as "Dumb dumb". McMaster Carr can set you up with the approximately i/8"adhesive backed foam sheeting you need for the vacuum doors.
    Rob