FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Water Spots on my Louvers...WHAT DO I DO!!!

My VIN:    3997

Water Spots on my Louvers...WHAT DO I DO!!!

Hey Folks.

So unfortunately my car was out in the elements for a few months. (I know I know for shame). I had a car cover on it...but it rained at some point, soaking the car cover, and I didn't realize that water deposits formed on my louvers. I have tried EVERYTHING to get them off. I attempted to use polish to remove them, window cleaner, bar keepers friend, and even tried white vinegar...nothing has worked. I am about ready to repaint the damn thing...but I dont know if that will solve my issue or if they will shine through the paint.

Anyone have any experience or suggestions?

-Ryan

12625663_10156488400475268_1110730587_n.jpg12626096_10156488400355268_1941285920_n.jpg12650322_10156488400310268_1381465929_n.jpg
    Living The Dream Since 2005 - VIN#3997

My VIN:    3886

Club(s):   (DMA)

test it at a small spot first, but I'd try some bathroom cleaner that is designed to remove waterspots. CLR or something like that. those are probably mineral deposits. Muriatic acid would clean it too, but I'd water it down a lot and test at an inconspicuous spot.

tony c

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Quote Originally Posted by acaciolo View Post
    test it at a small spot first, but I'd try some bathroom cleaner that is designed to remove waterspots. CLR or something like that. those are probably mineral deposits. Muriatic acid would clean it too, but I'd water it down a lot and test at an inconspicuous spot.

tony c
    Try Black Again.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    6472

I've been dealing with this as well, but mostly on the the black unpainted portions of the front and rear bumpers. The spots first appeared after it had rained. I first tried wiping them off with a wet towel but didn't help.

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

Water spots are mostly mineral and contaminant deposits. A dressing will just cover them up or hide them, but not remove the deposits. I would try normal soap and water with a bug pad and some elbow grease. If that doesn't work, Amonia might do the trick, but it may, (doubtful) make the finish uneven, in which it will need to be dressed.

I personally keep the louvers as all black parts dressed and protected. For the louvers I use a different dressing which has a dull to semi-gloss finish which makes them look just like the left the paint booth.

Also remember that some water spots are simply a reaction to the dressing/protectant that is already on the panel or unpainted plastic. I do have to re-treat my chin spoiler after washing as the water dries out the places where it beaded up.

I should add that I have see these "deposits" actually eat into the paint leaving the impression that it's a water spot but in actuality, it's like a bunch of microscopic chips..much like bird crap leaves when it's left on paint too long.
    Last edited by Michael; 01-25-2016 at 11:32 PM.
    http://dmctalk.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=90&dateline=161808992  9

One of those purists you keep hearing about. sdg3205's Avatar

My VIN:    thirty two 'o five

Club(s):   (PNDC)

You could try 99% isopropyl too. Should be safe on fibreglass. Try the bottom of the Louvre first.
    Dave

Here, somewhere.

My VIN:    16793

Club(s):   (DMA) (LINY-DMC) (DCUK)

As mentioned above - Black Again will make many parts of the car look amazing, and for a long time (UV activated). The only issue is if you plan to paint anything you apply it to in the near future. But that will fuse out eventually. If you want a deep black on all car parts, Black Again. Otherwise, there are solutions that will work more naturally - but I was seduced!
    DeLorean VIN 16793 - 1983
    Loving my power steering!

EFI'd

My VIN:    5003 Never placed Concourse

Club(s):   (DCF)

Believe it or not, on all the fiberglass/painted surfaces - I use Black Magic Tire Shine, lots of dirt comes off when I use it on the louvers and it stays shiny for weeks - just don't get it on the glass or stainless.

Baby oil?
    I loves my grooves!

My VIN:    2743

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCH) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

Dermot
    VIN 2743, B/A, Frame 2227, engine 2320

I don't always drive cars, but when I do, I prefer DeLoreans

http://www.will-to-live.org

No-one is to stone anyone, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say "carburetor"

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast