FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread: DMCH Making new vehicles

My VIN:    2743

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCH) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

Oops, well I guess it did.

It was a busy Christmas time, what can I say.
    Dermot
    VIN 2743, B/A, Frame 2227, engine 2320

I don't always drive cars, but when I do, I prefer DeLoreans

http://www.will-to-live.org

No-one is to stone anyone, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say "carburetor"

My VIN:    4941

Just so I have this straight- You guys are saying that they are not actually going to build 300 of these cars. Just as many as they sell? With the SELL part coming first

My VIN:    01643

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Timebender View Post
    That was Nick Roedl's car. He designed the shaft, 3D printed it, cast it, then had it made.
    To be clear, the 3D printed parts I made were only to validate that I had the right normal and transverse module, pressure angle, helix angle, and pitch diameter, etc. of the gears themselves. 3D printing was not used in the manufacturing of the shaft itself. The shafts are not a casting. They are machined from forged 4340 barstock that is heat treated after machining.

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    I would hope that they dont use the Renault tansaxle at all. Feeding 300+ ftlbs to it would make it a ticking timebomb.
    I would be interested to know if they would do some legitimate fatigue testing on this.

Quote Originally Posted by DMCVegas View Post
    True. But who is to say they haven't already been made months, or even years ago?

My bad on that transaxle number too. Pasted the wrong one. But there ARE many, many other options out there such as this as an example:

http://quaife.co.uk/quaife-zf-tranxa...opular-demand/
    I dont think there are quite as many transaxles available as you think; at least not ones that are realistic. I have done a lot of research on the different transaxle options, and because of our spacial limitations, we're pretty limited. Even the Porsche 915 and G50 are difficult to fit due to their size. Yes there are Hewlands, Mendoleas, Quaife, etc. that are special built for racing teams (most of which would require modifying the frame to accomodate the size), but as Josh said one transaxle can cost you $15,000+.

Personally, I do not see that as a viable option; especially considering that DMCH's goal with this is to use up the parts they have that they cant sell. I'd bet transmissions is one of them. Maybe they'll do what Lotus did with the V8 and just detune the engine to a level that the transmission can handle.
    Last edited by Nicholas R; 01-28-2016 at 10:11 PM.

Not a DeLorean Guru

My VIN:    01049

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas R View Post
    Personally, I do not see that as a viable option; especially considering that DMCH's goal with this is to use up the parts they have that they cant sell. I'd bet transmissions is one of them. Maybe they'll do what Lotus did with the V8 and just detune the engine to a level that the transmission can handle.
    I've been around A LOT of Lotus V8s. The engine was not detuned enough, trust me. They go kaboom quite often.
    -Mike

My engine twists my frame.

1981 DeLorean, Carb LS4 swap completed
    1999 Corvette, cam/headers/intake manifold, 400 rwhp
    2005 Elise, stock
    2016 Chevy Cruze

My VIN:    01643

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by opethmike View Post
    I've been around A LOT of Lotus V8s. The engine was not detuned enough, trust me. They go kaboom quite often.
    Thats good to know; I'll keep that in mind. I haven't been around enough of them to know for sure.

Not a DeLorean Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas R View Post
    Thats good to know; I'll keep that in mind. I haven't been around enough of them to know for sure.
    I think a good portion of it has to do with people abusing the box with 1st gear launches, and not down shifting from 5th when going to pass, but still...
    -Mike

2005 Elise, stock
    2016 Chevy Cruze

My VIN:    10904

Quote Originally Posted by Trstno1 View Post
    I'm thinking this could be a good thing. I highly doubt that the building of the new cars would completely drain the parts pool for our cars. If they actually run out of something they now have the incentive to re-engineer the part thus keeping the parts flow going. Also, at 100k each it's bound to raise the value of the originals. It's a win win!
    Yeah, I made the mistake of saying something to this effect on FB and James Espey chimed in (last night/today). Is he always an asshole? He basically told me to f$@! off, the parts are his, etc. WTF? Maybe he doesn't realize the object in that sentence is *supply* and not *parts*. He just lost my business over this and my car is officially for sale. Let somebody else deal with him.

-Bobhttp://www.nerdhouse.org/espey.png

espey.jpg
    Last edited by rdarlington; 01-31-2016 at 11:03 AM. Reason: picture didn't come through right

Not a DeLorean Guru

Quote Originally Posted by rdarlington View Post
    Yeah, I made the mistake of saying something to this effect on FB and James Espey chimed in (last night/today). Is he always an asshole? He basically told me to f$@! off, the parts are his, etc. WTF? Maybe he doesn't realize the object in that sentence is *supply* and not *parts*. He just lost my business over this and my car is officially for sale. Let somebody else deal with him.

espey.jpg
    Wow. Just wow. That's some serious assholery there.
    -Mike

2005 Elise, stock
    2016 Chevy Cruze

My VIN:    Early

Quote Originally Posted by rdarlington View Post

espey.jpg

So, Espey basically told ALL Delorean owners to F off? Well, if it wasn't for us owners, DMCH would be just a dusty, locked storage facility.
    Early 81 5spd conversion- DMCH Ground Effects, Double Din, Custom Instrument Cluster, QA1 Suspension, 3.0 PRV with MS3

Senior Member - Owner since 2003 Patrick C's Avatar

My VIN:    1880

Club(s):   (DCO) (DCUK)

Exclamation

I am one who is optimistic about this new venture, but we've seen a similar announcement 3 times in the past 10 years with no results.

We had this in 2005:

This in 2009:

This in 2011:

And now this in 2016:

I want to be optimistic about this venture, but we have been let down before.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by Patrick C; 01-31-2016 at 04:52 PM.
    Patrick C.
    VIN 1880

Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast