FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: DMCH Making new vehicles

My VIN:    16619

DMCH Making new vehicles

So you may have seen articles popping up about DMCH making new cars. (http://www.click2houston.com/news/de...nto-production).

I'm a little confused by this... I had thought they were already doing this? Or was I just mistaken for taking existing VIN and restoring the vehicle to brand new condition? If so, I assume this means new VINs will be issued?

Also, anyone know the legal reasons why they couldn't do this before and what changed in this Federal bill to allow it?

Last question, in the last sentence Mr. Wynne states something about freshening up areas they see fit (in the future), is this implying possibility of engineering new parts for the vehicle?

My VIN:    5311

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

I'm pretty sure this is the Low Volume Motor Vehicle Manufacturers Act of 2015 bubbling back to the surface.

As much as I like and support the DMCH guys and their franchises, I'm against this. I understand the need for a company to enter new vertical markets, but DMCH is already relatively successful and I'd much rather the parts went to keeping the existing DMC-12s on the road.
    - Chris

what

My VIN:    5482

Jeff

My VIN:    6585

Quote Originally Posted by Accipiter View Post
    I'm pretty sure this is the Low Volume Motor Vehicle Manufacturers Act of 2015 bubbling back to the surface.

As much as I like and support the DMCH guys and their franchises, I'm against this. I understand the need for a company to enter new vertical markets, but DMCH is already relatively successful and I'd much rather the parts went to keeping the existing DMC-12s on the road.
    It absolutely is in relation to that act. And it's been pretty well covered here before: http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?12...hlight=replica

Espy though said that it should be closer to about 500 cars, and that they will be equipped with 3.7L 360hp engines.

As for the parts inventory draining for our cars, I'm not worried about it in the least. I seriously doubt that it will hamper availability for anything we need. Hell, who knows if it doesn't just open up some possibilities for us if we can get engine swap kits from DMCH?
    Robert

People they come together, people they fall apart...

My VIN:    5625

I'm thinking this could be a good thing. I highly doubt that the building of the new cars would completely drain the parts pool for our cars. If they actually run out of something they now have the incentive to re-engineer the part thus keeping the parts flow going. Also, at 100k each it's bound to raise the value of the originals. It's a win win!
    You can't buy happiness, but you can buy a DeLorean and that's sort of the same thing....

My VIN:    10287

Club(s):   (DMA)

Quote Originally Posted by Accipiter View Post

I agree. The other reasons I am not keen on this idea is that is a DeLorean DMC-12 really a DeLorean DMC-12 when it hasn't been assembled in Dunmurry, Northern Ireland in 1981 or '82 and sold to dealerships by a company controlled by JZD himself? And without a PRV engine and drivetrain? To me the car represents JZD, Bill Collins, Colins Chapman and Spooner, Ital Design, dozens of other engineers, the several hundred other companies that supplied parts and services, the thousands of workers at Dunmurry and the QACs, and a very specific time and world then it was built. Just taking some old factory parts with some new parts and an alien engine doesn't equal a DeLorean to me. Part of the thrill and mystique of getting a DeLorean is knowing its been around for 30+ years and there can only be a finite number in existence. It's historical and you can't remanufacture history.

On an impassionate note, I really wonder if there is much of a market for a new DeLorean especially at $100,000 That's even more adjusted for inflation than the first go around!
    Nick A.

1988 BMW 325is
    1982 DeLorean DMC-12
    1989 Jaguar XJ6

My VIN:    3028

Funny I was watching Chicago news today and a piece came on about this. I doubt there will be much interest in any new DeLoreans at that price.
    Barry

My VIN:    05141

Man, this is a total deja vue. How many times has this been announced?

In case it would be true.. it wil ruin the rich history of the Delorean.
    What is the best way to use your sleeping existing inventory and raise the price of declining number of hard to get parts???? Right, use them in vehicles and put it al on the road.
    I have an almost prestine Delorean but my car becomes more valuable in just some parts, I will have someone take it apart and I will sell the car.

I hear some brands are relaunching succesful models like Volkswagen did with the beetle, or Fiat with the 500.It is obvious a hyper modern car with a blink to that car's history with every safety feature. Can we expect a Delorean with ABS, airbags, a bunch of sensors,
    I'd rather see new maufactured parts....

Jan
    Last edited by john 05141; 01-27-2016 at 04:32 PM.

Steering with power

My VIN:    5757

Do they really have 300 left front fenders laying around?

My VIN:    3610

Quote Originally Posted by JRNY13 View Post
    Do they really have 300 left front fenders laying around?

Probably not, but now they may try and stamp a good volume of them for new and original cars.

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast