FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Headliner replacement

My VIN:    5835

Club(s):   (LINY-DMC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by opethmike View Post
    Especially considering how expensive the new fiberglass units are! I was floored when I saw the $550. Considering how cheap headliner reupholstery material is, I'm willing to spend a few hours scraping to save half a freaking grand.

+1

I am about to do the fiberglassing of my boards as well. The headliner fabric from Amazon was very inexpensive.
    My rear board was a cut to shape piece of pegboard. If anyone has a rear headliner board they would part with, please Pm me.
    Lou and "Boo"- The man you love to hate.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Boo" VIN 5835
    Born October 1981 - Brought back to life December 2011
    "Fastest naturally aspirated PRV" Delorean
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Blue" - 1985 Fiero GT
    3800sc series 2

My VIN:    1561

Hey buddy, I haven't been on the forums in months but stumbled across your thread. I did this 10 years ago but I do remember I used a sanding disc attachment for a drill to aid in the process. Might be worth the few bucks, have fun!

http://1561project.com/?page=headliner

Todd
    Todd, VIN 1561

http://1561project.com

Not a DeLorean Guru

My VIN:    01049

Quote Originally Posted by todd1561 View Post
    Hey buddy, I haven't been on the forums in months but stumbled across your thread. I did this 10 years ago but I do remember I used a sanding disc attachment for a drill to aid in the process. Might be worth the few bucks, have fun!

http://1561project.com/?page=headliner

Todd
    Right on.
    -Mike

My engine twists my frame.

1981 DeLorean, Carb LS4 swap completed
    1999 Corvette, cam/headers/intake manifold, 400 rwhp
    2005 Elise, stock
    2016 Chevy Cruze

My VIN:    1704

Color guidance

Dear experts, sorry to ask a novice question...

I'm replacing the headliners on #1704. Clearly the door liners have already been replaced so just the two roof pieces need done now. I bought this car 20 years ago from a dealer who took it in on trade (so I don't have access to records). My question ... I have a black interior, it appears the headliners are light gray, but I am now sure. Did black come with light grey? And/or dark grey?

I purchased the window sticker, but it does not identify trim other than black. I'm presuming the headliner is light grey based on color. I ask because I'm am not going to replace the door liner and just the roof. I'm just looking to generally get the base color right (even if not a perfect match).

Picture attached. Thanks very much in advance.

Carl
    Attached Images

One of those purists you keep hearing about. sdg3205's Avatar

My VIN:    thirty two 'o five

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Carl - yes they did not have black fabric headliners.
    Dave

Here, somewhere.

My VIN:    4877

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Ill have to buy headliners for mine when I get the money, since they werent with the car when I got..so unless I find a super cheap (or free) set, I'll be forced to shell out the $550 that DMC charges for them.
    Rob Depew
    Tacoma, Wa
    '81 DeLorean 4877 Grey, Auto, 4 wheels
    The Ressurection of 4877......
    Website
    YouTube
    My Patreon

My VIN:    Former owner of 1098

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by Carliannewman View Post

I'm replacing the headliners on #1704. Clearly the door liners have already been replaced so just the two roof pieces need done now. I bought this car 20 years ago from a dealer who took it in on trade (so I don't have access to records). My question ... I have a black interior, it appears the headliners are light gray, but I am now sure. Did black come with light grey? And/or dark grey?

I purchased the window sticker, but it does not identify trim other than black. I'm presuming the headliner is light grey based on color. I ask because I'm am not going to replace the door liner and just the roof. I'm just looking to generally get the base color right (even if not a perfect match).

Picture attached. Thanks very much in advance.

Carl
    On your early 81 car, the original headliner material was a much darker grey than what you have now. Does the door headliner match the rest of it?
    Brandon S.

2014 Honda Civic EX
    2007 Volvo S60R

My VIN:    2234

Quote Originally Posted by Carliannewman View Post

#2234 is a 1981 black interior as well. Using a headliner sample board from www.yourautotrim.com, I matched the color of the headliner under the weatherstripping to part PH1810 Medium Dark Grey. I say "under the weatherstripping" because the central headliner is original and faded (matches FN2005 Medium Grey) while the door headliners were replaced by a previous owner (and appear too dark), so I was looking for a good original reference. Hope that helps.

I'm curious, though. What thickness of foam backing does everyone use when they replace their headliners, 3/16" or 1/8"? I was thinking of using 1/8" to make sure the ridges/central oval in the central headliner board stand out better.
    1 + 1 = 3 for exceptionally large values of 1.

My VIN:    5003 Never placed Concourse

The headliner I used was backed by 3/16" foam.
    -----Dan B.

My VIN:    Former owner of 1098

Quote Originally Posted by axh174 View Post
    #2234 is a 1981 black interior as well. Using a headliner sample board from www.yourautotrim.com, I matched the color of the headliner under the weatherstripping to part PH1810 Medium Dark Grey. I say "under the weatherstripping" because the central headliner is original and faded (matches FN2005 Medium Grey) while the door headliners were replaced by a previous owner (and appear too dark), so I was looking for a good original reference. Hope that helps.

I'm curious, though. What thickness of foam backing does everyone use when they replace their headliners, 3/16" or 1/8"? I was thinking of using 1/8" to make sure the ridges/central oval in the central headliner board stand out better.
    Thank you so much for posting this. I need to do my headliners soon and I had no idea where to go for the correct color match. How many yards did you end up using?
    Brandon S.

2014 Honda Civic EX
    2007 Volvo S60R

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast