FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: longer lasting headliner material?

My VIN:    01643

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

What kind of glue are you using?

My VIN:    16795

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas R View Post
    What kind of glue are you using?
    I don't remember since it was 6 years ago, but probably whatever was most recommended here at the time. And one of the headliner replacements was done by an auto upholstery shop. The problem seems to be mostly the fabric separating from the foam, and not the foam from the boards.

My VIN:    5462

Club(s):   (DCH)

Sounds more like an adhesive or preparation issue to me.

I cleaned mine as best I could to remove the old glue and backing foam, I even **very carefully** drifted a blow torch over the surface to burn off old foam and any protruding fibres.
    I then applied several layers of resin, first coat absolutely saturating the backing, by the 4th coat I effectivly had a smooth resin surface to then attach the adhesive and material to.

I gently scuffed the surface with sandpaper, then used adhesive from an upholsterer contact, it was a pressurised spray in what looked like a 5kg gas bottle.

That was probably 10 years ago now as you would expect there are some marks round the edges where the doors close and rub a little, but the material is still stuck fast and hasn't sagged.

I would like to replace the backing boards with new fibreglass versions one day as whilst the material is stuck fast the edges of the door ones have warped over time and you can see the edge when you look through the side windows.

James

My VIN:    16409

Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post
    Do you happen to have any pictures?
    Here's one of the door:
    image.jpg
    Chris Miles

For Better or Worse I own a DeLorean!
    1983 Grey Manual, VIN #16409, Fresno, California

Headliner material ??

Hi all,

I am planning on doing my headliners this winter. Would the material stay in place longer if I get the non foam type? I saw the suede (polyester) type foamed and not. Has anyone done it without the foam? Or is foam the protocol? Thanks, Rod.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Quote Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
    Hi all,

I am planning on doing my headliners this winter. Would the material stay in place longer if I get the non foam type? I saw the suede (polyester) type foamed and not. Has anyone done it without the foam? Or is foam the protocol? Thanks, Rod.
    If you are trying to replicate the original way it was done you need to use the foam backed materiel. It gives a plusher feeling and hides any minor imperfections of the backer. Should last 20 years or longer if you keep the car out of the sun and the heat.
    David Teitelbaum

Thanks!!!

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    If you are trying to replicate the original way it was done you need to use the foam backed materiel. It gives a plusher feeling and hides any minor imperfections of the backer. Should last 20 years or longer if you keep the car out of the sun and the heat.
    David,

Great point. I will go with the foam backing. Thanks, Rod.

My VIN:    1561

Yeah I can't imagine why your headliners are so failure prone. I did mine over 10 years ago with the standard foam backed liner and they still look brand new. Granted I only drive about 1,000 miles/year and always garage the car. When I did mine I took the old liners out and cleaned the boards well, even used an orbital sander lightly to remove all the glue. I then had an upholstery shop supply and apply the material and I reinstalled in the car.
    Todd, VIN 1561

http://1561project.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2