FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 1981 Delorean for Sale. (NEEDS WORK)

1981 Delorean for Sale. (NEEDS WORK)

Before I start this post I would like to say sorry to administrators for this being my first post and not having the 20 posts required. Hopefully you do not delete this post as I am not exactly new to this website but that I just now made an account and didn't think it would be good for me to go around and post 20 random things just to make a thread, forgive me.

Now to the Delorean.

MODEL: 1981
    MAKE: DELOREAN
    MILES: 5,475.8
    GEARBOX: MANUAL
    INTERIOR: BLACK LEATHER

Let me introduce myself first. My name is Josh, I am 21 years old and live Saint Albans, WV, right outside of Charleston. (where the car is located). My dad owned the car my whole life and he gave it to me this year. It has been sitting in a garage for 10+ years at least. Everything is original on the car. Below is a list of things the car needs in order for it to run or pass inspection.
    -tires
    -brakes
    -key
    -fuel pump
    -lights
    The last time it was driven was back in 03-04 the car was rejected for inspection for tires,brake,lights. The fuel pump was going bad and we lost the key since it has sit in the garage for so long.
    I'm sure the car need more work like the engine looked over and all of the above before you even try and start it, the reason I havent fixed it up myself is because im not qualified for the type of work it needs or have the time nor money. Other than that it has little things like the handles to get in the car are broken on both sides, sorry guys that was my fault when I was young, yes it is both of them. All I can say was when it was cold and the door was locked they would break easy.
    Also one of the windows wont roll up.
    Below I will list pictures AS IT SITS TODAY, yes the pictures were taken today. Sorry the garage it is in doesn't have lights so I had to use my flash on my phone.

ALSO: There may have been some things I've missed or may have not, and I have the title and pictures of the VIN number but this is the first time I've sold a car and I'm not really sure if I should post those pictures. But if you're interested you can ask questions below or email me at [email protected] or [email protected]

ASKING PRICE: $22,000

IMG_2161.jpgIMG_2162.jpgIMG_2163.jpgIMG_2164.jpgIMG_2165.jpgIMG_2166.jpgIMG_2167.jpgIMG_2168.jpgIMG_2169.jpgIMG_2170.jpgIMG_2171.jpgIMG_2172.jpgIMG_2173.jpgIMG_2174.jpgIMG_2175.jpgIMG_2182.jpgIMG_2183.jpgIMG_2184.jpgIMG_2185.jpgIMG_2176.jpgIMG_2186.jpgIMG_2187.jpgIMG_2188.jpgIMG_2189.jpg

One of those purists you keep hearing about. sdg3205's Avatar

My VIN:    thirty two 'o five

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Hi Josh,

Welcome. We're very public with VINs here, and you'd be encouraged to post it, but it is your call. Most of us have our VINs on display.

Best of luck with the sale. There is someone here looking for an Oct build car - hence the importance of the VIN plate picture.
    Dave

Here, somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by sdg3205 View Post
    Hi Josh,

Welcome. We're very public with VINs here, and you'd be encouraged to post it, but it is your call. Most of us have our VINs on display.

Best of luck with the sale. There is someone here looking for an Oct build car - hence the importance of the VIN plate picture.
    Thanks man, I tried to edit the post but there might be a time limit for it, so I'll just post the photos here in hopes someone will see them lol. Sadly mine September. :/IMG_2178.jpgIMG_2191.jpg

Your Dad had it from new?
    Keep it dude, coolest car and family history, never be another.
    I loves my grooves!

Quote Originally Posted by 88KPH View Post
    Your Dad had it from new?
    Keep it dude, coolest car and family history, never be another.
    Well before my dad had it, his dad owned it. I've thought about it but its time to let it go to actually see someone do something with it.

My VIN:    5835

Club(s):   (LINY-DMC) (DCUK)

Just my two cents but:

Keep it in the family! That's so cool that it went from your grandfather to your father to you. Refurbish it so you can pass it on to your boy (When that time comes).

It is the most iconic car after all. Keep it original and keep it an heirloom. That's awesome !
    Lou and "Boo"- The man you love to hate.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Boo" VIN 5835
    Born October 1981 - Brought back to life December 2011
    "Fastest naturally aspirated PRV" Delorean
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Blue" - 1985 Fiero GT
    3800sc series 2

My VIN:    2743

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCH) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

Welcome Josh,

You would probably benefit from getting a few pictures of the frame posted. As you are familiar with this site, you will know how important its integrity is.
    Dermot
    VIN 2743, B/A, Frame 2227, engine 2320

I don't always drive cars, but when I do, I prefer DeLoreans

http://www.will-to-live.org

No-one is to stone anyone, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say "carburetor"

My VIN:    3937

Hi Josh,

Good luck with your car, the sale, or whatever you choose to do with it.

Wanted to mention something quickly on you not having a/the key.

It looks like your door lock cylinders have the black centre and would indicate the car is still a "one key" system car. Meaning, the door and ignition (and cubby hole lock behind the driver's seat) are all the same key. The car's changed over to a "two-key system" later in production, around VIN 4187, where the ignition would be one key and the doors would be another.

That's a good thing if you lose the key, sort of, because you only have one to replace.

What you might be able to do to get that key made again, is find the key code for the car. This is often written in black magic marker, right on the stainless, and (often) located on the driver's door. You will need to gently pop off the headliner on the driver's door (the one directly over your head when sitting in the driver's seat with the door closed) and look for the code.

It will be a 4-digit code. I would not post that code or photo here, not immediately anyway, but instead contact DMC in Houston (perhaps contact James Espey directly) and they can make you a brand new key, from that code, laser cut on a new blank. Or a couple of them.

I suspect this would help you a lot in selling the car to someone, maybe not to try and "see if she starts" as that's not a good idea if it has sat for so long, but it is valuable at least during transportation to be able to lock the vehicle.

Up to you, just wanted to mention that is an option for you.

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

My VIN:    01643

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    Wanted to mention something quickly on you not having a/the key.

It looks like your door lock cylinders have the black centre and would indicate the car is still a "one key" system car. Meaning, the door and ignition (and cubby hole lock behind the driver's seat) are all the same key. The car's changed over to a "two-key system" later in production, around VIN 4187, where the ignition would be one key and the doors would be another.

That's a good thing if you lose the key, sort of, because you only have one to replace.
    This is backward. The early style (what he has as indicated by the larger black door lock cylinders) is the "two key" (different key for the doors and ignition). The cars were later switched to a "one key" system where the same key opened the doors and operated the ignition. The cubby hole and locking gas cap (on the cars that had it) are operated by the ignition system on all cars, regardless of which key system they had.

2 key system = early cars
    1 key system = later cars

If I recall correctly, there are only something like 25 different door key codes for the 2 key system. DMCH even has a list that says what code most of the early cars had. If you're missing the door key, you should give them a call and find out if they've got your door key on file. Theyve got a bucket of keys that they can likely sell you one from. Otherwise, they can help you get a key cut. The code is also often written in black marker under one of the headliner panels.

My VIN:    04194: 5-Speed, Black Int, 79 Peugeot 604 Manifold, 05052: 5-Speed, Gray Int, 78 Peugeot 604 manifol

Whatever you do, don't drill out the ignition lock cylinder! (Like the P.O. of my Delorean did!) Exact originals are NLA. As the previous poster wrote, check under the headliner for the key code.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast