FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Team Time Car Delorean catches fire!!

My VIN:    6585

Quote Originally Posted by SamHill View Post
    This reply below pretty much sums up my response:

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    Whether it be fuel, copper seal washers, electrical, or electrical related to time machine components, I don't think there is a lesson to learn here until we know exactly what caused the fire.

Sure, we can speculate or guess, but that doesn't help anyone at home trying to prevent a similar scene with their own car.

<SNIP>

"Go do this" or "go do that" or else because someone "confidently" guesses what might have led to this only makes for more unnecessary worry (like with replacing TABs for example, or needing car club insurance like we saw here in Ontario).
    Even with this old car from 35 years ago that you chose to cite, the cause of the fire was undetermined even after a professional investigation.. And with that car, it was used for emissions testing. Which most definitely would have necessitated the installation of non-standard metering equipment, which could very well have modified the car to where a problem could have been caused.

Beyond that, the big thing here is to not send people into a damn panic over nothing at all, or just as bad, to lull them into a false sense of security about anything. But what we absolutely know for certain is while there are definitely increased risks because of faulty repairs, and this is demonstrated across the board with Volvos, Mercedes, Porsches, Renaults, Lamborghinis, Ferraris, and all other cars that use this same type of fuel system, and also utilize 12V DC electrical systems. That does not mean that there is an inherit problem due to design nor engineering with the DeLorean. If there was, I feel pretty confident that we would have seen an actual widespread problem that was identified years and years ago.
    Robert

People they come together, people they fall apart...

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    Whether it be fuel, copper seal washers, electrical, or electrical related to time machine components, I don't think there is a lesson to learn here until we know exactly what caused the fire.

Sure, we can speculate or guess, but that doesn't help anyone at home trying to prevent a similar scene with their own car.

To me, it does look electrical and not fuel related. I have not seen pictures underneath the engine cover though. If it was electrical, then was it related to the time machine stuff added to the car?

"Go do this" or "go do that" or else because someone "confidently" guesses what might have led to this only makes for more unnecessary worry (like with replacing TABs for example, or needing car club insurance like we saw here in Ontario).

Sorry but have got to disagree with your logic. While none of us yet know the cause of this particular fire, it is, none the less, worth pointing out/raising/debating possible causes.
    Our engines have gas, electrics, heat. Keeping these systems well maintained is kinda important.
    If from this discussion makes one person think.......... "I'm not sure those CPR copper washers were replaced, perhaps I'll get a couple new ones" or another "I wonder what make of battery isolator would fit best" or someone else say "I really should fit a fire-extinguisher somewhere, but where" etc etc.
    Then the discussion on possible causes is definitely worth it. I really can't see any logic in not raising awareness of the possible issues.
    Last edited by 88KPH; 02-08-2016 at 04:24 PM.
    I loves my grooves!

My VIN:    6585

Quote Originally Posted by 88KPH View Post
    Then the discussion on possible causes is definitely worth it. I really can't see any logic in not raising awareness of the possible issues.
    A discussion IS worth it, I totally agree. We should talk about what concerns we have. Then analyze them to see which are unfounded, and what we can do about the legitimate ones.

Electrical is something that is definitely on my mind. We're now entering into the phase of modern classic cars, and really the DeLorean is at the forefront of this. Because as a modern car that goes beyond a carburetor and has fuel injection, emissions controls, and other more complex electrical systems, there are new challenges not previously faced with other cars. 35 year old wiring? I have a growing concern that in another 5 years, I may have to do some serious investigating.

BUT, that is precisely that: a concern/personal opinion It is NOT a fact.

Stating something like our cars are prone to catch fire is absolutely reckless. Talking about what kinds of general problems a car may have, and how to address them thought is a good thing. Let's talk about replacing old fuel hoses, and cleaning your electrical connections. What pitfalls to avoid such as not reusing copper crush washers, or leaving the cover off of the fuse box. Talk about cleaning light bulb sockets, and replacing cracked lenses. Etc.

Those are all great ideas for ANY car. These are things we can use to instill confidence in our cars, rather than spread fear through uninformed opinions. That is what our goal should be here.
    Robert

People they come together, people they fall apart...

My VIN:    03572

Wires from the battery to starter and alternator are not fused and are always a concern with any car. You want to be sure those wire are routed so as not to touch any sharp metal or hot exhaust. The way our stock wiring in those areas was done really makes that routing harder to do with the many terminal on the starter and alternator.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Nothing witty here lest it offend

Staring with an honest discussion, there is a "domino effect" that happens in a D engine bay that accelerates the problem once it gets started, due to the construction materials, etc.

My VIN:    6125

The cause of the fire was obviously from the flame trails once the car hit 88mph.

My VIN:    1710

I do a search on Instagram daily to see what DeLoreans around the world are up to. There's an almost comical amount of BTTF replicas on flatbeds posted. It sort of begs the question, is there a correlation between the BTTF conversions and breakdowns? Mostly, I wonder if people spend all their time and money affixing BTTF props, and neglect the actual mechanical updates these cars require? However, I doubt this is the case with Paul's car.

This broaches another question, though: is engine compartment heat a culprit? I tend to think engine compartment heat in stock DeLoreans is a serious issue as-is; and the BTTF conversions I've seen are totally lacking the engine cover venting stock DeLoreans have. Even on stock DeLoreans, I tend to think heat causes more issues than most owners think. I'm convinced heat from the muffler/catalytic converter shortens the lives of the cars water pumps and belt pulleys at the very least. After all, DeLoreans have exhaust manifolds, exhaust routing, a catalytic converter, and muffler ALL contained within the engine compartment within inches of the engine & it's accessories, and there is no front facing grill to bring in fresh air to dissipate heat; which was most certainly what the PRV was designed for. The BTTF conversions with their sealed engine compartments must just totally bake everything 10x worse. This could prematurely degrade all rubber and plastics (including wiring insulation), possibly warp pulley bearings, trap any moisture which may get in there (which could lead to a rabbit hole of additional issues), etc.
    Louie Golden

I think its a fair point there Louie. The amount of heat shimmer (I've a feeling there's a word for that but it escapes me) in the rear mirror can sometimes be quite amazing.
    However counting pics posted on Instagram should be qualified by the likely hood of a TimeMachine being snapped and posted compared to a regular Delorean in the same situation.
    I loves my grooves!

My VIN:    6125

The aluminum vents on a time machine conversion actually do quite a bit of venting of hot air from the engine. On the screen used cars the engine cover is cut away below the vents so there is actually more open area than on a stock engine cover. If you've ever stood behind a DeLorean time machine after it's been out driving around you can feel the heat being ejected out the back of the car.

If someone were to design their engine cover to be completely solid I can see that being an issue...

I think there is also some truth to the thought that a time machine owner may be more concerned about the props and look of the vehicle than the mechanical condition of the base car.

Certified Stainless!! Chris Burns's Avatar

My VIN:    Getting closer and closer...

Club(s):   (DCF)

+1 for Louie's comment.

The only time machine replicas that I'm aware of where the owners actually spent the money and time upgrading their cars as well as the time machine prop add ons are Paul Nigh and The Hollers.

The time machine add ons cost 40 grand alone, then you have the car itself.

So most of the owners spend 65 to 70 grand on their time machine replicas off the bat without realizing that "oh it's a classic car that will need upkeep".

One thing that I've noticed on original Deloreans is that the engines do put out a lot of heat.

Converting to dual exhaust or using ceramic coating seems to help.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast