FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Striker pin adjustment needed?

My VIN:    5814

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DOA) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Roberto View Post
    I found it very useful to slacken the striker pin just enough so that when the door latch comes down to meet it it pushes it into position. The secret is to hold the exterior handle up ALL the time whilst gently pushing the door down. Don't let go of the door handle, keep it in the up position until you bring the door back up again. That way the door latch doesn't close on the striker pin. Hope that makes sense.
    Let me know how you get on.

Roberto
    +1

Thanks this worked for me. Tighten the striker pin finger tight. Pull up and don't let go of the door handle as you close and then open the door.

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

Excellent feedback everyone. Many thanks.

I'll post my results.

Cheers,
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

Quote Originally Posted by Roberto View Post
    I found it very useful to slacken the striker pin just enough so that when the door latch comes down to meet it it pushes it into position. The secret is to hold the exterior handle up ALL the time whilst gently pushing the door down. Don't let go of the door handle, keep it in the up position until you bring the door back up again. That way the door latch doesn't close on the striker pin. Hope that makes sense.
    Let me know how you get on.

Roberto
    Interim update: I was able to mostly correct the driver door misalignment within 10 minutes using this technique and a thin wooden shim at the bottom of the door. Then I used painters tape to mark reference points to further adjust. When i removed the rear pin, I discovered that it was very loose....root cause! It corrected the door getting stuck as well.

After I put the new seals on, I'll fine tune it.

Thanks all for the great advice!

Question: is there a torque spec for tightening the striker pins?
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.

Senior Member - Owner since 2003 Patrick C's Avatar

My VIN:    1880

Club(s):   (DCO) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by DMC-81 View Post

Before you do that, lubricate the new seals well and let the car sit in the hot sun for a few days so the seals take the shape of the door better.
    Patrick C.
    VIN 1880

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Quote Originally Posted by DMC-81 View Post
    Interim update: I was able to mostly correct the driver door misalignment within 10 minutes using this technique and a thin wooden shim at the bottom of the door. Then I used painters tape to mark reference points to further adjust. When i removed the rear pin, I discovered that it was very loose....root cause! It corrected the door getting stuck as well.

Question: is there a torque spec for tightening the striker pins?
    Very tight! Make sure it doesn't move as you tighten it.
    David Teitelbaum

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick C View Post
    Before you do that, lubricate the new seals well and let the car sit in the hot sun for a few days so the seals take the shape of the door better.
    Thanks for the tips.

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    Very tight! Make sure it doesn't move as you tighten it.
    Thanks David. I was hoping for a spec, as there is a plastic/fiberglass infill panel involved. I don't want to crack it. I understand the pins are an M12? A zinc plated 8.8 grade M12 bolt has a general tightening spec of 55 ft/lbs on a Fastenal chart. Do you know if it's more or less than that?

I noticed the pin's tendency to move while tightening. I'll watch out for that.
    Dana

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

There is no torque spec. The fiberglass is only captured between the captive nut and the striker pin. I doubt you can overtighten it or strip the threads. if you want a torque aim for over 55 ft/lbs. Do it in steps so it doesn't move around. Before you really crank on it make sure it is right where you want it.
    David Teitelbaum

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2