FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Aftermarket headlights

My VIN:    1121

Club(s):   (DOA) (DCUK)

Aftermarket headlights

Quote Originally Posted by DMC-81 View Post
    That's the advice that I followed. Although I'm using SilverStars, I have changed all exterior and door bulbs to LED, and I plan on doing the same in the dash/console. I am still running the original headlight switch, but I have changed all relays in the compartment, and cleaned or in one case, replaced the bulb holders. Aside from the increased draw problem for the incandescent bulbs, I found that they got awfully hot in the 30+ year old plastic housings.

I try to keep my car as original as possible, but to me, LED bulbs make a lot of sense for the car.
    +1 I haven't done the full LED conversion, but it's on the list of things to do early this year.

My VIN:    Former owner of 1098

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by DMC-81 View Post
    That's the advice that I followed. Although I'm using SilverStars, I have changed all exterior and door bulbs to LED, and I plan on doing the same in the dash/console. I am still running the original headlight switch, but I have changed all relays in the compartment, and cleaned or in one case, replaced the bulb holders. Aside from the increased draw problem for the incandescent bulbs, I found that they got awfully hot in the 30+ year old plastic housings.

I try to keep my car as original as possible, but to me, LED bulbs make a lot of sense for the car.
    Seconded.
    Brandon S.

2014 Honda Civic EX
    2007 Volvo S60R

My VIN:    5625

I'm interested in seeing what those look like when installed. I would also be curious as to the modifications that are required to the headlight bucket to get them to fit. I like the idea of going to some sort of angel eye headlights, just not sure if I want to go cutting anything stock on the car to make them work.....

Quote Originally Posted by Chris4099 View Post
    I'm installing a similar set now. I don't have a good picture as I'm still installing mine. Keep in mind that you will have to modify the headlight buckets by making the hole bigger. I would also recommend getting a unit that has the DRL wiring either come out the back or via a low profile wire on the side. Some have a large socket on the side that may require you to cut yet another hole into the bucket to fit. Heat should only be an issue if you use a H4 bulb that uses a lot more power then standard (such as the 100w bulbs out there). Here's the unit I'm currently working with:
    http://www.jegs.com/i/ORACLE-Lightin...9-001/10002/-1

A local owner has them but in green and they look good. Very bright DRLs too. Here's a quick pic of mine running while I test the heat and beam pattern:
    Attachment 39651

I'll be making a full write up later after I get them installed and some drive time done.
    You can't buy happiness, but you can buy a DeLorean and that's sort of the same thing....

Formally hmm252000

My VIN:    4099

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Quote Originally Posted by Trstno1 View Post
    I like the idea of going to some sort of angel eye headlights, just not sure if I want to go cutting anything stock on the car to make them work.....
    First modification is to take the bucket out and enlarge the hole in the back. I've heard of some using a sink drain hole punch, but I just used a Dremel with a cutting disk. Not very neat, but it did the job and you won't ever see it once the light is installed. Also a bit of paint to cover the exposed metal. This is what I had after reinstalling the bucket:
    20160212_162016.jpg

I took that at an upwards angle, but you can see part of a support beam that also may interfere with the new bulb. The support bends down about 1/4 of an inch. So I got out the grinding drum on the Dremel again and ground it out (took some time as that metal is pretty thick). But once done, the light fit in nicely and appears to have enough room for adjustment. I just need to hit it up with some paint again to prevent rust.

20160212_164105.jpg

Nothing major had to be cut and it won't prevent the original style sealed beams from being reinstalled again in the future. So it's a pretty harmless mod.

My VIN:    10201

I finished the full low beam HID conversion. I cannot fully recommend the headlights with projectors that I got from eBay. I'm not sure how many others are built, but the chromed piece used to mount the projector lens will scatter light upwards. It looks weird and doesn't seem too bad but has the possibility to blind at a certain angle. That being said, the HIDs are a huge upgrade in terms of visibility. I have no problem seeing road lines in front of me now.

I used this guy which was really straightforward.
    http://www.dmcnews.com/Techsection/xenons/xenons.htm

I changed it up by pushing the wire from the inside of the car under the passenger side and pulling it through from the outside. It seemed easier than the other way around. I used cable tie holders to go around the wheel well to avoid moving parts. Pushing the wire up to the headlight assembly was much easier than pushing it out from inside the car. I also used 3m double sided tape to mount the ballasts cause I already had it and didnt feel like going through the trouble of buying screws and drilling holes. I also had to remove my high beams because the wires for my HIDs were rather short and it was easier to feed them through that way.

If you're going to change out headlights converting to HIDs really is not much more effort. The only permanent modification I had to make was enlarging the bucket hole and as mentioned before, this does not affect returning it to sealed beams for the stock look. The hardest part is dealing with the little screws that hold the headlight in place.

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

Installed the Holley retrobright headlights recently. Hands down the best on the market that look period correct. (non-period look: JW Speaker) These are fantastic and just as bright as my '21 Taycan. High beams are ridiculous.

https://www.holley.com/products/exte.../parts/LFRB140

https://youtu.be/Luync7UYwsI
    ~LXA~
    Dunmurry | Stuttgart | Leipzig | Munich | Tochigi | Fremont | Bratislava | Sindelfingen | Kansas City | Oakville | Coventry

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4